The Society's Effective Strategy to Smother the Truth...

by Confession 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Confession
    Confession

Good to get your comments, folks. Truth is, I put it together because I am about to call my mother. It has come to my attention that she has discovered I am no longer attending meetings, and she has left me a voicemail asking me to call her.

Whew... I've been waiting for this moment for a year and a half. What I wrote was just sort of gearing me up to deal with what I'm about to face.

I've decided I just can't fiddle faddle here. I want to speak the truth. I'll be gentle, kind, diplomatic... But I'll tell the truth. The real truth.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They have persuaded their R&F that this is God's organisation so that anyone opposed to it is opposed to God, a smart trick, also anyone that serves it serves God so they get ppl to work for them for nothing because God will reward in due time. Let the the fools wait, God doesn't care in the least about the WTS.

As for them being legalistic in their approach to religious life they are so to an extend that makes them appear as Judaizers in disguise.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

confession - thanks for the PM. I can't reply to it from my computer because I'm on a MAC and VERY uncompatible with this website!

I re-read your old thread about talking to your mom when you first moved. It was just what I needed right now. I am struggling with talking to my grandmother who has been more like a mom to me than my own mom. My grandmother is the ONLY reason ALL of my family are JW's today. She single handedly guilted all her children and their mates and their kids into being JW's. She is sincere and a truly loving person, just misdirected. I just can't tell her what is REALLY going on with me. At this point in her life I don't see how adding worry to her daily life is a loving thing to do. My grandma has a way of living in denial also, so I'm hoping the subject doesn't come up with her, but god, I hate to be dishonest with her.

Please let us know how it goes with your mom. We're all here patting you on the back, giving you encouragement, no matter what way you choose to handle that phone call.

-freedomlover

• Emma
    Emma

Thank you; beautifully said.

Emma

• Dune
    Dune

I think it all comes down to the belief that JW's are the one and only true religion. Couple this with a monopoly on information, love and perceived happiness, then you have a group of people who are too afraid to think for themselves.

• Confession
    Confession

Freedomlover,

Thanks for the note. I did in fact speak with my mother yesterday. (Still quaking from the experience.)

I wrote about it here in case anyone would like to hear the details...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/18/109852/1.ashx

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

I am only speaking for myself. If I personally would have come across a website such as this one 10 years ago, I would have dropped the JW religion like a ton bricks! I only stayed in the religion because no one came to me with an alternative rational view on JW doctrines.

The real reason the WTS can get away with their lies because the majority people are ignorant of what the bible really says. How many you studied the bible before you became a jehovah witness?

• Confession
    Confession

I appreciate your perspective, GodIsRight. Let's discuss "what the Bible really says."

If you were a JW for any length of time, you know that--as compared with the great majority of those who claim to be Christian--these people both read and can quote from the Bible pretty well. When you are JW, you are saying the same thing...

If only people would just read the Bible! Then they'd find out what it really says! Tsk tsk tsk...

When you see demonstrations during the Service Meeting or are with JWs at the door, and a question arises, often you hear something like this...

Well, yes, many people have said that before. There are certainly many viewpoints on this subject. But have you ever stopped to consider what God's Word the Bible says on this matter?

The tone of voice is usually friendly--if not a bit condescending--but ultimately it is a rather arrogant belief that we as JWs had, namely:

Those poor people out there, under the influence of their blind guide pastors and priests, believing all sorts of God-dishonoring doctrines. If they would only study the Bible. My, my, my...

The basic appeal made by JWs is a bit less "emotional" and actually rather "rational," if you think about it. They don't engage in the "gifts of the spirit," they don't make emotionally-charged testimonies after which people run up before the congregation and declare their having been "saved." Usually they start reasoning from the scriptures with people about things like the Trinity, Immortality of the Soul, Eternal Torment in Hellfire, etc.

Don't get me wrong. You and I both know JWs teach a "different doctrine," and there are lots of messed up teachings. I'm just explaining that JWs really believe they're studying the Bible.

Now we know that the idea of reading Watchtower paragraphs, asking printed questions provided by the WTS itself, and practically reading back the answers from the magazine cannot fairly be called Bible study. But when you're doing it, it sure seems like Bible study. Furthermore there are lots and lots of JWs who engage in personal Bible reading and study. Often, after doing so, what they read seems to conform to what they're being told at JW meetings.

Just as we recognize that JW Bible teachings are flawed, we must also recognize that other sincere Bible readers have been wrong in their understanding of the Bible too. I don't believe that JWs "just need to really study the Bible" and the logic will be enough to overcome their mental captivity to the WTS. There are reasons why they continue to believe what they do, and why they fear considering outside information.

And those reasons, I submit, come from the WTS itself. They warn, threaten and inspire fear that opening their mind to anything else will be a foolish and destructive path to Armageddon. And if that doesn't work, they attack you with the draconian practice of enforced shunning.

Congratulations on being a more rational person than most. For many of us it was a long, hard road to mental freedom.

• GodisRight
    GodisRight
    I appreciate your perspective, GodIsRight. Let's discuss "what the Bible really says."

If you were a JW for any length of time, you know that--as compared with the great majority of those who claim to be Christian--these people both read and can quote from the Bible pretty well. When you are JW, you are saying the same thing...

If only people would just read the Bible! Then they'd find out what it really says! Tsk tsk tsk...

When you see demonstrations during the Service Meeting or are with JWs at the door, and a question arises, often you hear something like this...

Well, yes, many people have said that before. There are certainly many viewpoints on this subject. But have you ever stopped to consider what God's Word the Bible says on this matter?

The tone of voice is usually friendly--if not a bit condescending--but ultimately it is a rather arrogant belief that we as JWs had, namely:

Those poor people out there, under the influence of their blind guide pastors and priests, believing all sorts of God-dishonoring doctrines. If they would only study the Bible. My, my, my...

The basic appeal made by JWs is a bit less "emotional" and actually rather "rational," if you think about it. They don't engage in the "gifts of the spirit," they don't make emotionally-charged testimonies after which people run up before the congregation and declare their having been "saved." Usually they start reasoning from the scriptures with people about things like the Trinity, Immortality of the Soul, Eternal Torment in Hellfire, etc.

Don't get me wrong. You and I both know JWs teach a "different doctrine," and there are lots of messed up teachings. I'm just explaining that JWs really believe they're studying the Bible.

Now we know that the idea of reading Watchtower paragraphs, asking printed questions provided by the WTS itself, and practically reading back the answers from the magazine cannot fairly be called Bible study. But when you're doing it, it sure seems like Bible study. Furthermore there are lots and lots of JWs who engage in personal Bible reading and study. Often, after doing so, what they read seems to conform to what they're being told at JW meetings.

Just as we recognize that JW Bible teachings are flawed, we must also recognize that other sincere Bible readers have been wrong in their understanding of the Bible too. I don't believe that JWs "just need to really study the Bible" and the logic will be enough to overcome their mental captivity to the WTS. There are reasons why they continue to believe what they do, and why they fear considering outside information.

And those reasons, I submit, come from the WTS itself. They warn, threaten and inspire fear that opening their mind to anything else will be a foolish and destructive path to Armageddon. And if that doesn't work, they attack you with the draconian practice of enforced shunning.

Congratulations on being a more rational person than most. For many of us it was a long, hard road to mental freedom.

Confessions, I see what you are saying. However, I am talking about real studing of the bible. Not the hoping and skipping method of studing the bible which leads to applying scriptures out of context. When I said read the bible, I mean read the bible as in read the whole book.

The bible is like a jigsaw puzzle. You need all or most of the pieces to see the big picture. Did you know the book of revelation is impossble to interpret without the books of the old testament?

I remember the conducter of a meeting once asked everyone who has read the entire bible to raise his or her hand. I was like the only person at that meeting who raised his hand. Here is thing, to properly interpretate a scripture, one must know of all the other revelent scriptures that touch on a particular topic. You see, JW's are not going to point out the scriptures that contradict their doctrines. They are only going to direct you to verses that seem to support their teachings.

• LDH
    LDH

Confession.

Damn. Good. Post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit