New here - wanted to get this off my chest

by Thrall 29 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

Thrall, I am enthralled!
    Welcome to the JWD forum and please continue to post!

What heartache we have all been through!

It is such a relief to find each other here and comfort one another!

Anewme

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Welcome, Thrall! How do your mother and your brother feel about the JW's now? What finally caused them to leave?

Enjoyed reading your story, and stick around!

• Thrall
    Thrall

My brother was also disfellowshipped for serving in the army and afterwards kind of did a 180. He was always very artistic and got heavily into the whole indie music scene, punk rock and politics. He's now playing in a band. I still talk with him about this stuff all the time. He's more bitter about it than I am, but not irrationally so. He too recognises the brainwashing and resents them for it.

My mother and younger sister filled the void with horses. My sister is a competitive rider and my mom's heavily involved too. Mom just kind of drifted away from the Society, and I don't believe she was ever disfellowshipped. I'm sad to say that she bit the bullet pretty thoroughly, and is always extremely surprised when she hears something bad about the Witnesses. The whole "Oh crap, I was in a CULT" aspect of it still hasn't hit her, but I'm sure it will.

My sister was never really into the whole thing and just came along because she was too young to say no. She was never baptised unlike the rest of us, so it wasn't a big thing for her.

• anewme
    anewme

Thrall are you having trouble with your paragraphs?

When you post a reply, create your paragraphs

Then when you are ready to "submit post" at the bottom, hit the box labeled Automatic formatting
    and uncheck the HTML formatting box.

then you will not have to go back and fix the paragraphs.

I believe then it will re-create your document as you have written it.

Again welcome,

Anewme

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

welcome thrall

• juni
    juni

Hi Thrall,

Welcome to the board! Don't think you're alone with how you feel about positive things and negative things with the org. As you continue reading posts or go back and read past posts you will see that there are many out there who share your thoughts.

Do I regret my time with the Society? Some of it. I did grow up surrounded by friendly and kind people, living a moral and troublefree youth. But I also missed out on so much of the stuff that "normal" kids are meant to do. Practically all of it, in fact. Like many others, I never got a proper education, believing the crap about the end of the world being mere years away and deciding to dedicate my life to the society. I am now paying the price for that, as I am only getting my university degree at 27. For that I hate the Society.

27 yrs. old is not old!! Just think you are wiser now - know more what you want out of life and will take your education seriously. I wish you the very best in your "new life".

Juni

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Welcome!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Welcome Thrall,

I think your government might be interested in the fact that you were disfellowshipped because of military service.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Hey Thrall,

You're right, there were some positive things about the program the Dubs ran. We who applied ourselves and had a little ability really did become outgoing and confident communicators. By the way, you use the American idiom rather well, have you spent time in the States or do you watch a lot of American Tv over there? Glad you went for your degree. I'm nearly fifty and I graduate in May of this year!

I'm pleased you still have your family, I'm a fader so I dont lose them. They think my faith is so strong that nothing could destroy it so they just let me go my way. Many here have been DF'd and lost everyone. These are the true victims.

Thanks for getting on board with us!

W.Once

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Welcome to the board!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit