Old CO's and DO's in Oz

by PopeOfEruke 28 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

16. Neville Bromwich - Hardest CO in Australia. A very strict conservative CO from the Deep North (bible belt Queensland).

Us proud sophisticated South Australians found his bigotry and ignorant ways very hard to stomach.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    did you ever have that CO that used to go on about the Banana Lounge and would make remarks every time about people in the congregation lazing about on their figurative banana lounge instead of going and slaving for the organisation? I think his surname might have been Morrision? Not sure.

I think you mean Rex Mainwaring

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

The Bromwichs' were quite famous round and about Queensland.

How many DO's does Australia have, ozzie?

Pope

• penny2
    penny2

Phil Hayworth - everyone loved him! Heard he went to Tassie and had a breakdown. Anyone know if that's true?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

The only name I can remember is Thew (first name William, maybe?). He was our CO in Nhulunbuy in the early 1970's. He and his wife had been missionaries in the Orient for a while and had some fascinating stories to tell. My favorite was the one about the house boy they had -- he'd bring them toast and tea for breakfast every morning. Well, one morning Sis. Thew went downstairs because she was curious to see how it was prepared and there he sat at the kitchen table, feet on the table, using his feet as a toast rack while he toasted the bread! She made breakfast from then on.

There was another guy, but I can't remember his name. I made the mistake of saying one day that I wanted to see the world -- I meant the COUNTRIES of the world, but he gave me a 15-minute lecture about the evils of Satan's old world. Very boring.

Nina

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

mmm Thew rings a dim distant bell..

===

Hey Penny I mentioned Phil higher up. Last I heard he was living well on Sydney's North shore.

Yes he was excellent - ah the 70's

17 or 18 I'm loosing count now lol

Richard Brace - A very bright guy, former headmaster. No longer a Witness I believe .

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Thew had a physical problem that resulted in the most noxious body odor I've ever smelled. When he got out of the shower even the soap smelled bad. I think Mom burned the sheets on their bed after they left. (We lived in isolated territory, so when the CO visited, he visited us for three days. Oh joy.)

Other than that, they were fairly pleasant people, I guess.

Nina

• penny2
    penny2

Bro Thew - I remember a DC where he gave a talk condemning "unnatural sex practices" - as deemed by the WTS. Afterwards his wife confided in some sisters how embarrassed he was to talk about that topic.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Hey unc those old farts won't be turned ,they get it too good in Bethel....why would Don leave at his age when he has got a great pension plan where he is .....and if ya don't need sex ya can talk on ya amateur radio to all the other old impotent brothers around OZ ...eh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit