Weights - Reps? Sets? Huh? Help a dumbo out.

by misspeaches 20 Replies latest social physical

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Okay well the good news is I have joined the gym! I feel motivated and energised! Hurrah. There will be a new slim trim Miss Peaches trotting about the place in no time.

But I have no idea about the weights equipment. I've been shown how to use all the equipment but what is all this sets, reps nonsense they go on about? How many should I do? How often? I don't want to bulk up just tone and increase my strength.

Also I have a circuit class after work today and don't want to appear stupid in front of everyone!!! LOL

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Toning keep the weight low and the reps high - so if you see recommends for men - reduce the weight to 1/4 of tha tsuggested for men and double the reps

• Spectre
    Spectre

How much ya bench?

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Okay stilla good advice about the low weight and frequent reps? But how many reps? A rep is each time you lift it right?

Spectre - you funny bastard... I don't bench nuffin.. yet!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

so for a bicep curl I would do 50 Kg and 10 repetitions - for you do about 10 kgs but 30 repetitions and so on. Leg press I do 250 Kg - but that is high - let us say 200 kg -- so you should do 50 kg and about 30 reps

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

ah i see. So would you recommend that I would when starting out do 10 reps have a 1 or 2 second break do another 10 reps - break and final 10 reps?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I used to think it funny that the gym's would always have those huge mirrors so you could stare at yourself while you lifted weights. Why would you want to stare at yourself while you were sweating like a pig and grunting like a warthog?

But several years ago I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. (This was back when I was employed and made good money! ) He was this BEAUTIFUL brawny black man from Africa with gleaming white teeth and crow's feet on his face because he smiled so much. On top of the fact that he had this lovely, lilting African accent. He was the most encouraging, insightful trainer that took into consideration my slight stature, but didn't let me use it as my excuse to not push myself. Did I say he was beautiful? His name was Kashmir and I LOVED working out simply because of him. LOL! But he taught me that your body form and movements were just as important as what weights you lifted and how often. Thus the mirrors were really one of the biggest training tools I had. Was I standing with my feet set far enough apart? Was I standing straight? Am I moving my arms slow enough to prevent injury? Are my arms moving forward or out?

Miss Peaches, I'm sure here in a few weeks you'll find yourself losing an inch or two here or there and your motivation will kick up a notch or two simply based on that! Best of luck! (Maybe you're luck will be better if you hire a cute Kashmir???)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

ah i see. So would you recommend that I would when starting out do 10 reps have a 1 or 2 second break do another 10 reps - break and final 10 reps? Yes that would work and for stamina building do all 30 repetitions at once! For a man building bulk - less reps and more weight

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

BillyGoat your personal trainer sounds divine!!! I want one like him. But no chance. I've joined a laydee's gym which means its females everywhere including the trainers. I met a trainer last night who took me through all the equipment which was very good but she is not going to be my personal trainer. Haven't met them yet... I've been working on my health for about 6 weeks now already and lost a few inches which is great.

Stilla you have been incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!!!

• JH
    JH
    There will be a new slim trim Miss Peaches trotting about the place in no time.

There is already a nice Miss peaches avatar on this board

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit