WILL MANKIND EVER BE ABLE TO BRING WORLD PEACE?

by Mary 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

No, I'm not offering you a free home bible study, but given the precarious situation in the Middle East and with Civil War tettering on the brink in Iraq, I was wondering if you think mankind will indeed, ever be able to put an end to wars and disease. These are the two biggies in my mind. While I don't believe man can grant us eternal life on earth, if we got rid of diseases like cancer, MS, Parkinsons, Down Syndrome, heart disease, etc. we might be able to lengthen our life span considerably. And living in a world without wars would obviously be the best thing that could ever happen.

Think it ever will?

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

No! Never Ever!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

No - not unless we all nuke each other off the face of the planet and become extinct.

Remember WW1 was supposed to be 'the war to end all wars' it was considered so horrific at the time. We've just moved on technologically so I suspect any limited nuclear war would just be considered the same.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Naw I dont think so, but we sure are learning a lot while trying.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Yes, and its happened before. Pax Romana: 27 B. C. - 180 A. D. Pax Romana, Latin for "the Roman peace", is the long period of peace experienced by states within the Roman Empire. The term stems from the fact that Roman rule and its legal system pacified regions, sometimes forcefully, which had suffered from the quarrels between rival leaders. Contributing Cause: The vast Roman Empire included all lands around the Mediterranean Sea and most of Northwest Europe. Roman life was comfortable for many. Cities had water and sewage systems, theaters, and public baths. The wealthy had villas with central heating systems.

• Mary
    Mary

What about the Great Diaspora that came about as a result of when the Romans destroyed Jerusalem in 70 CE? That wasn't exactly a peaceful takeover.

OK, so far, the majority here doesn't think man will be able to bring about peaceful conditions. Does that mean that we're destined to blow ourselves off the face of the earth?

• Dune
    Dune

Nope. IMO.

As long as there is Sexism, Racism, Greed,Nationalism and Religion the world will never see peace.

• acadian
    acadian

Hi Mary,

When I look at history, I would say no.

But I"m an optimist, I may never exsperence world peace in my life time, buy some time it could happen.

It all starts with "one ". like, you, me... to bad their are those who don't like diversity of beliefs or culture and try and tell you the best way of living.

But who knows , maybe one day people will become enlighten enough to respect other peoples "Rights" to "Life" "Liberty" and the pursuit of "Happiness".

As long as our pursuits don't infreign on the "Rights" of others. So we should be allowed to do what ever we want, even to our own dimise.

Maybe one day, who knows?

Kind Regards
    Acadian

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    And living in a world without wars would obviously be the best thing that could ever happen.

It would be nice if everyone shared this viewpoint. An old friend's mother has said many times, "What the world needs is another good WAR!!! That'll fix the economy!!!" This is the opinion of someone who lived in Europe and suffered through the second world war. Some people just don't get it.

W

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

No, Mary. In fact most current wars are allowed so as to keep some countries from becoming too big and powerful (eg: Iran Iraq war in the 80's).

The truth is people will always fight, but I guess the powers that be are just hoping to keep things under control enough to prevent us from "all nuking each other" as another poster says.

The sad thing is that some stuff going on is just inhumane (like all that stuff in Africa--does anyone listen to NPR --National Public Radio--) I can't even listen to it anymore, it's too greusome and sad. Horrible.

Anyway, that is what I am coming to realize is going on in the world. The UN's or whoever is in charge--their objective is not to get world peace, but rather to stop the world from nuking each other. My opinion, anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit