607 vs 586 - Why should WTS care?

by james_woods 17 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Some doctrines have to be corrected every now and then. For example, when they predicted armagedon for 1975, well, when 1975 rolled around, they had to do something.

But, the 607 doctrine would never have to change. There is no impending deadline that threatens it. There is no new evidence coming out that will discredit it. In fact, there has always been a mountain of evidence against it. In the past, they have simply denied the evidence, and most people really don't check into it.

However, to the individual witness, it can be devastating. If you can prove to an individual witness that 607 is wrong, then the whole house of cards falls - the time of the end, the last days, the evidence of the sign, the appointment of the F&DS, most of the prophetic fulfilments of the 20th century, etc.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Scholars "Celebrated WT Scholars" would no longer be celebrated

• greendawn
    greendawn

They may be afraid that this will severely damage their credibility before their followers if they admit as much because in their erroneous scheme of things 1914 is such a central date and so much was built on it.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

greendawn

I believe you are correct in that the Society are "afraid that this will severely damage their credibility before their followers if they admit as much". I just don't believe that they need to be afraid - for the simple reason that 'dubs don't care'! Ô

• Clam
    Clam

[Though we had false expectations in times past, who can blame us for being over-anxious?] "It is easy for the established churches of Christendom and other people to criticize Jehovah's Witnesses because their publications have, at times, stated that certain things could take place on certain dates. But is not such line of action in harmony with Christ's injunction to `keep on the watch'?" ..."But is it not far preferable to make some mistakes because of overeagerness to see God's purposes accomplished...?" WT 12/1/84, p. 17,18.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

They are evidently prideful..as they disfellowshipped a wonderful man like Ray Franz over it.

Question..: Has anyone ever noticed the other formula for 3 1/2 times? In Dan. 12: 7 and the corresponding scripture is Dan. 12:11...

According to this scripture,

3 1/2 times = 1,290 days.. not 1,260 days.

And if you change the beginning date from 607 to 587 with the new equation..you come up with 1994.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Question..: Has anyone ever noticed the other formula for 3 1/2 times? In Dan. 12: 7 and the corresponding scripture is Dan. 12:11...
    3 1/2 times = 1,290 days.. not 1,260 days.

Actually, this exceeds 3 1/2 years (according to the Zadokite solar calendar, which omits the 4 equinoxes and solstices from the monthly count) by exactly one month, and the 1,335 days of the next verse exceeds it by 45 days, i.e. 1 1/2 solar months. The period exceeds 3 1/2 years because what is in view is not merely the end of the "desolator" (i.e. at the end of the half-week in 9:27) but the blessings that follow (cf. 12:2-3).

The length of 1,260 days occurs in Revelation 11:2-3, which correctly interprets the Danielic 3 1/2 years (cf. Daniel 7:25) as 42 months, not 43 months. Note also that the figure isn't 1,274 days, which is the ACTUAL length of time of 3 1/2 years. The monthly reckoning corresponds to the old solar calendar in which the 4 equinoxes and solstices per year are treated as intercalary markers of the seasons, not as monthly days.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yikes, Leolia - that made my brain hurt! Did you ever do covert research for Brooklyn? LOL!!!

But, no matter how you add it up, I cannot see that anything has happened in the last 150+ years that looks at all like the coming of the Lord.

Just world history as usual, along with the inevitable rise and fall of numerous religious cults. Some more or less weird or greedy than the others. JW, Jonestown, Mormonism, 7thDay, HeavensGate, Scientology, AleisterCrowley, etc. Not even the Y2K computer crash came true!

Also, isn't it just great that these false prophets always think their stuff up or fudge it after the fact - when their date passes as usual, they modify their own words into a see - a great fulfillment has just taken place. We just didn't have it revealed by Jehovah for a few years past the fact.

They might as well have said that Jesus Christ was going to ride through town January 1, 1999 at high noon on a go-cart, IMHO.

James

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit