Latest "Remeber When..." JW email floating around

by Jourles 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

How about the first bound NWT? It was basically all the Hebrew and Greek volumes (dark green) bound into on. The bible was about 3 inches thick!

• greendawn
    greendawn

I remember those black and white magazines and I thought they were dreary, I was pleased when the colourful ones came out, but before long I realised that all the WTS books and magazines were trash, full of errors, lies, and deceptions.

Things have loosened up in the JW world with shorter talks, assemblies, and fs monthly minimums

• Soledad
    Soledad
    . When there was a grading system on the Written Review to indicate how well you did.

was this discontinued? I remember there was always a grading system

3. When all Elders and Ministerial Servants only wore white shirts. You better not come out with a colorful combination.

I thought that was always the case. Forgive me I've been out for a while (1996)

4. When the WatchTower and Awake were black and white. (Think of anyone20 years old or younger in your congregation. Most of them won't remember a color magazine coming in the mail!)

5. How about when Return Visits were called Back Calls.

6. Auxiliary Pioneering was first called Vacation Pioneering and thenTemporary Pioneering.

I remember the first color Watchtower and Awake. People went out and laminated theirs.

13. Bibles were green?

14. Songbooks were hot pink?

They sure were.

17. The Watchtower and Awake Magazines were 5 cents, 10 Cents, or 25 cents?

Officially in my area they were 25cents. I offered them for 5 cents.

18. The Reasoning Book was brand new?

Oh this was such a huge deal. For a while, only elders could take that book with them on field service. Then this was changed. I couldn't understand why that was even an issue.

19. You had to purchase food tickets at the conventions and assemblies to get lunch?

Yes and those were hot delicious lunches!

20. The Circuit Overseer sometimes gave a slide presentation at the Public meeting.

21. What about the red "Youth" book?

22. My Book of Bible Stories was one of your favorite publications?

23. Better yet when the My Book of Bible Stories was released at the convention

The COs almost always gave a slide presentation at the Sunday meeting. It was great sitting in the dark not having to look up scriptures for 1 hour.

I hated the red Youth book

My book of bible stories was my favorite publication, even better when it became available on cassette tape. I don't remember when it was released at the convention.

25. Shasta!!!!!!

26. Hoagies!!!!!

Yuck.

29. You got baptized in symbol of your dedication to Jehovah?

<chuckle> no way jose!

39. The daily text was in the yearbooks.

I remember that. My mom still has some of those old editions. I should look them up.

43. If you remember the My Book of Bible Stories, what about the orange book, "From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained?"

Was that the one with the scary drawings? If so I remember it.

45. When book studies were called Rendezvous Groups or Points.

Yes, and then some prude had a cow over the word "rendezvous" so we couldn't call it that anymore.

50. When any sister (or even some brothers) would take you in the back and "discipline" you if you needed it

I don't know how these people think it appropriate to discipline a child that isn't theirs but yes this was the norm in our congregation.

53. Or even when KHs were store fronts.

I like the storefront KHs.

55. When you had to be at convention at 5 a.m. to make sandwiches for friends.

Hah! Try 3 am.

74. We had District conventions at Belmont Racetrack and Yankee Stadium?

75. Park talks on Sundays before the children returned to school.
    DCs were held at Yankee Stadium until the 90s. I only attended 1 park talk in my years as a JW.
  • sf
    sf

5. How about when Return Visits were called Back Calls. [ yes ]
    6. Auxiliary Pioneering was first called Vacation Pioneering and thenTemporary Pioneering. [ yes ]

8. The Theocratic Ministry School was called the Ministry School, Theocratic School, and then back to Theocratic Ministry School. [ yes ]
    10. There was a 15 minute intermission between the Public Talk and the Watchtower Study. [ yes ]
    11. The Circuit Overseer was called the Circuit Servant? [ yes ]
    12. Regular Pioneers put in 100 hours per month (and there was no "yearly special"; like when it went to 90 / 1000 for the year). 100 hours per month meant 1200 for the year... [ yes, i recall how superior i felt when i accomplished 100 hours one month one summer ]
    13. Bibles were green? [ yes ]

14. Songbooks were hot pink? [ yes ]
    17. The Watchtower and Awake Magazines were 5 cents, 10 Cents, or 25 cents? [ yes, so does A and W Rootbeer restaurant! ]

24. District Conventions were 8 then 5 then 4 days long and it was dark when you left? [ yes ]
    25. Shasta!!!!!! [ yes!! they were ten cents a can ]
    26. Hoagies!!!!! [ yes, if you mean the dreaded pastrami sandwiches we had to make at dodger stadium ]
    29. You got baptized in symbol of your dedication to Jehovah? [ yes ]

43. If you remember the My Book of Bible Stories, what about the orange book, "From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained?" [ yes, the horrid orange book ]
    44. When music for the song was either played on the piano by one of our dear older sisters (the only one who knew how to play the piano)! or we sang to music provided by not a CD but an album played on a record player! and every congregation had the servant who just couldn't get the needle on the correct song on the first try!!! [ yes, a lady played the piano in the corner ]
    45. When book studies were called Rendezvous Groups or Points. [ yes, rendezvous ]
    51. When just looking at pictures in Babylon the Great book scared you into behaving. [ yes ]
    52. When all Kingdom Halls had windows and folding chairs [ yes, ours had windows ]
    55. When you had to be at convention at 5 a.m. to make sandwiches for friends. [ yes, see above...also, one assembly i was scalded by coffee ]
    58. When Public talks were 60 minutes and now they are 45 minutes [ god yes ]
    60. Having circuit assemblies that would start on Friday evening and end on Sunday [ yes ]
    62. The circuit overseer residing at the friends home. [ yes ]

81. Pioneer sisters were all brothers were looking for. [ yes ]
    Think I need a few Rolaids now and possibly a barf bag. Pardon me.

sKally

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Jourles,

There are only a few in your list that I don't remember. I'm depressed, Did I really waste all those years???????????

wanna

• sf
    sf

Forgot to add to 29...also in order to make it into the new system. We were told it was the ONLY way in. And that any and/ or all physical ailments would be healed.

• unique1
    unique1
    25. Shasta!!!!!!

26. Hoagies!!!!!

Man now you got me craving a pudding cup and a cheese danish!!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    was this discontinued? I remember there was always a grading system

Yes, its an oral review now, the questions come in the KM before the review night. All are supposed to prepare ahead. like a mini watchtower study without paragraphs.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I remember eating food a free meal.

Me and mom came in one morning to help prep the meal. I poured water out of the packs of ham.

And that vanilla pudding!!! mmmmmm. I remember it was in a round cup with a light blue lid. Ahh.. memories.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I remember eating food a free meal.

I remember when the food briefly went on the donation system before they eliminated it completely. I'd see kids walking back to their seats with arms full of potato chips.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit