Enlightening social evening with a group of dubs...

by undercover 6 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I was invited to a "get-together" of some old JW friends last week. I was expecting only a few people to be there, but when I arrived there were quite a few more than I was counting on. I figured immediately that it would be very uncomfortable, not only for me, but for many of the more "righteous" of the JWs.

To me surprise, however, they were all very nice and everyone had a good time. I was not shunned or pitied or looked down on. The people that I knew seemed genuinely happy to see me. The people that I didn't know were very gracious and kind in meeting me.

As the evening wore one, people kind of broke off into different discussions. I decided to just sit and listen and not be a part of any one conversation. I was curious to how these conversations would go.

I listened closely for the typical buzzwords of the JW community. But, a little to my surprise, I heard very littel mention of any thing theocratic. No mention of field service, no mention of the meetings, no mention of publications, talks or circuit overseers.

I did hear a lot of talk of the future...except it did not include the words Armageddon, the New System, the Resurrection, etc.

Most of these people had kids in high school or just gradutating. The discussion of these parents turned to what colleges their kids had applied to or had been accepted by, what they would major in and what kind of dorm room or apartment they would have. When someone mentioned that their son or daughter was interested in some field of work, others would say something like, "Oh, I hear there's good money in that," or "That's an excellent career choice."

Not once did hear the words, "pioneer", "Bethel", "missionary", etc.

I almost asked if anyone was going to pioneer, but decided that since everyone had been so pleasant and nice, I didn't need to be an asshole and create a scene.

To hear them was encouraging and discouraging both at the same time. I was encouraged that despite all the counsel from the Society about college and being complacent, it wasn't making much of an impression on this group of JWs. But at the same time, they still were active in the congregation. They go out in service, they answer at meetings, give talks and to some degree, buy into a big part the bullshit that comes from above.

At least they're independant enough to allow their kids to get a decent education. Maybe in time, they'll see that the entire JW system is a compete waste of time.

One can hope anyway.

• jgnat
    jgnat

This is very encouraging. It means the statistics the GB are counting on are flawed, as people are leaving mentally. This will start to reflect in the numbers over the next few years. There will be lower meeting attendance, lower hours, and fewer donations.

• garybuss
    garybuss

We used to hear about Witnesses who went to school and had fair jobs and weren't theocratic. They always lived in California and Arizona. In Dakota, we were hardline Jehovah's Witnesses. Poverty was the goal to aspire to and we wore our yard sale clothes with pride. Anyone who's behavior we couldn't reconcile with the Watchtower magazine we stayed away from.

When they built a new Kingdom Hall here and they put 40 year shingles on it I almost had a heart attack. There's no hope now, the last new Kingdom Hall has a parsonage attached. Unheard of!

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

I sort of agree with garybuss-

I think this may be an isolated case. Granted, good for them and their kids! I do think a lot of this independent thinking depends upon where you live. I've been in really lenient KH's and really strict halls. It mostly depends on the congregations personality and who the PO is.

It's the same old thing that *technically* they aren't wrong for going to school, but they won't be the "golden children" in the hall that get used for all the "privleges." Therefore, they are being judged.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I never heard much "theocratic" conversation at any JW 'gatherings' and if someone started up the topic was changed.

I even heard one slow learner told that there was enough time to discuss those things at the KH and now was the time to have 'fun.'

Sounds like the university/higher education talks are not working...I guess they'll have to start taking away privileges or make it a DFing offense

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

undercover,

To hear them was encouraging and discouraging both at the same time. I was encouraged that despite all the counsel from the Society about college and being complacent, it wasn't making much of an impression on this group of JWs.

Very encouraging, unless the hierarchy gets theocratic on their azzes.

But at the same time, they still were active in the congregation. They go out in service, they answer at meetings, give talks and to some degree, buy into a big part the bullshit that comes from above.

I'm not so pessimistic. I bet these brothers actually talked to disfellowshipped friends and relatives, too. It's even more likely that they're about as zealous in field service ® as Madalyn Murray O'Hair. They're already "using this world to the full" and allowing others to do so, near as dammit. If that's the case, well, who needs them to leave? freedomlover,

It's the same old thing that *technically* they aren't wrong for going to school, but they won't be the "golden children" in the hall that get used for all the "privleges." Therefore, they are being judged.

So they might as well compensate by having actual lives, right? Without, of course, saying so.

gently feral

• upside/down
    upside/down
    We used to hear about Witnesses who went to school and had fair jobs and weren't theocratic. They always lived in California and Arizona. In Dakota, we were hardline Jehovah's Witnesses. Poverty was the goal to aspire to and we wore our yard sale clothes with pride. Anyone who's behavior we couldn't reconcile with the Watchtower magazine we stayed away from.

Gary...you're too funny.

When I moved to Iowa so serve "where the great are needed"...that was exactly how everyone was.

Being from **cough, cough** California... they had me in their sites. Fortunately at the time, I was a by the book Dub "golden boy", completely above reproach...***sigh***

I gave the Witnoids a good name... My wife and I were "normal" Witnoids...you know...towed the party line and yet were still respectable in the community....we weren't "wierd"...it really puzzled both Witnoid and "worldlings" alike.

So glad I'm out.

u/d(of the Cali bro's aren't "real" Dubs class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit