The Handmaid's Tale

by freedomlover 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes and watched the Film - great both of them

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

One of my favorites! Atwood is a gifted writer. And yes, the book is frighteningly prophetic when you consider it in light of the rabid pursuit of power by religious fundamentalists that is happening now in the USA. Rod Parsley - remember that name.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

yup. that was my thought DANTHEMAN.

kind of scary.....when you could see how this work of fiction could actually happen!

• loathjw
    loathjw

I didn't read the book, but saw the movie.

Not so shocking. The bible speaks of handmaidens--in the old testament if a woman was barren, she was to send her handmaiden into her husband so he could have heirs. No doubt that's where the author of the book got the concept, and then put it in a future setting.

Also in the old testament, if a man died, his brother was also required to marry his widow. I WORKED for a fundamentalist way down in the bible belt of the Southern Baptists who took this literally, and married his brother's wife so he could care for their 6 children. My boss was a computer "geek", very smart, but typical "nerd"--tall, skinny, glasses, white shirt with pocket protector! His brother had been the opposite and quite the ladies' man, so the wife was drop-dead gorgeous. His brother also was kind of a loser, while my boss was one smart businessman, made lots of money, and treated his deceased brother's wife like a queen. I think they were both happy with the arrangement.

I liked working there but the only thing was that quite often I would be the only one who showed up for work on Monday mornings. I learned this was because the rest of the staff was in jail for picketing the abortion clinics (remember: bible belt). At first I couldn't understand why my boss wasn't pissed at them for doing this so often, until I learned that he was also in jail, right along with them!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Has anyone read this book?

I think if I got off the computer, I might find the time to read a book.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

This is a book well worth reading. I was nursing my daughter and found it compelling and moving at that time in my life. I think that I still would. It is very readable and thought-provoking. I guess you'd call it anti-utopian or something. I highly recommend it. Glad you found it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit