Certainty, truth, and the JW's

by Check_Your_Premises 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    The concept of "faith" which, in spite of appearances, I have been holding from the time I left JWs (20 years ago now), implies that I really don't know what I will be able to believe next week, next month or next year.

I don't think you mean to say that they change all that often... but if new facts or ideas come to light, you are completely willing to change your opinions to reflect those facts or ideas?

It is distinct from belief in the sense that it allows me to question (and potentially give up) any particular belief (including "God"). Yet it is not completely something else in the sense that it implies that I act today upon the beliefs I hold today, even if they may change tomorrow.

That is part of the definition of faith I think, that it is sufficient to compel you to action.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I don't think you mean to say that they change all that often...

Well... not always that often -- after all you only have a limited amoung of beliefs to lose in a lifetime.

But in critical periods, such as when one exits a cult, this is definitely not an overstatement. Starting from the point where you had all the answers to all the questions with the adequate Bible and Watchtower references, you begin questioning one issue after another and start wondering what will remain. And yet this is the moment when you have to answer quickly (to friends, family members, or a Judicial Committee) as to what you believe, with serious consequences.

There are many possible "strategies" in such a situation, depending on your personality and circumstances. Some people won't say anything before they have checked everything (or so they think). Others will set limits to their doubts (e.g. "I will never question the Bible"). Still others jump into default agnosticism as the only safe intellectual stance. Walking (out) by faith, faith in faith itself between lost and still uncertain beliefs, just suited me I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit