As promised... "You know you're a Newfoundlander when..."

by Super_Becka 9 Replies latest social humour

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

OK guys, here it is. I read the "North vs. South" thread last week and promised to post this to see how many people here actually understand it. It'll probably really confuse all of you, unless you're from Newfoundland or know a Newfoundlander to ask about it, so I'll be sure to explain some of them after I get a few responses.

Enjoy!!

You know you are from Newfoundland when:

1. You never meet any celebrities except Buddy Wasisname and Toni Marie Wiseman.

2. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor-trailer on the "TCH".

3. "Vacation" means going to St. John's for the weekend.

4. You've seen all the biggest bands 10 years after they were popular everywhere else.

5. You measure distance in hours when traveling across the province, and full days when measuring distance across the country.

6. You know several people who have hit moose more than once.

7. Your classes were often cancelled because of snow.

8. You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

9. You use a down comforter in the summer.

10. Your grandparents drive at 100/km per hour through 13 feet of snow in a raging blizzard - without flinching.

11. Your social life consists of drinking at parties, in the woods or downtown, and bingo, darts, cards & fishing after 30.

12. You see people wear hunting clothes or jogging suits to social events.

13. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

14. You think of the major four food groups as moose meat, beer, fish and berries and a typical meal portion for you would feed a European for two days.

15. You carry jumper cables in your car and you know how to use them.

16. There are 4 empty cars running in the parking lot at the convenience store at any given time.

17. You only own three spices: Salt, Pepper and Ketchup.

18. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

19. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

20. You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent and dresses funny.

21. Your idea of sexy lingerie is flannel PJs and tube socks.

22. You know all 4 seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Construction.

23. It takes 3 hours to go to the store for one item when you're in a rush because you have to stop and talk to everyone you know.

24. You have a satellite dish/cable with 500 channels and still watch NTV.
    25. You consider a snow blower a recreational vehicle.

26. Everyone knows a snowmobile in the back of a new truck is the sign of a well off person.

27. You have your own rubber boots & ball cap for picking berries and fishing.

28. The shed or the barn are acceptable places for grown men and sometimes women to drink and socialize.

29. You actually understand these jokes, smile, and forward them to all your friends from Newfoundland.

Gotta be proud to be a Newfoundlander!

Yup, there they are. So, how many of you actually understood any of that and thought it was funny??

Trust me, every single one of those is absolutely HILARIOUS, it just takes a Newfie to "get" most of them.

-Becka :) (of the "proud Newfoundlander" class)

• daystar
    daystar

That's an eyeopener as I swear you are probably the only person I've ever met, even online, from Newfoundland.

Let me tell you what I didn't get, or thought unusual:

• Berries? Who picks berries? I mean, we had blackberries on the back fence when I was a kid, but that was a bit unusual.
    • What's NTV?
    • Buddy Wasisname and Toni Marie Wiseman ?? Is the "Wasisname" part a joke? Who are they?
    • What's St. John's?
    • " The shed or the barn are acceptable places for grown men and sometimes women to drink and socialize." Well, that sounds like parts of Texas. I had friends once who had converted their barn into a party barn, complete with dance floor, stage and bar.

Much of the rest sounds quite quaint and makes me want to live there.

Did you ever see The Shipping News? How representative of coastal Newfoundland life is that movie?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I'm with Daystar...sounds like a nice place to live! Guess it went over my head!!! But if I ever go there now I'll be privy to the inside jokes! Thanks for posting...

Swalker

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Let me tell you what I didn't get, or thought unusual:
    • Berries? Who picks berries? I mean, we had ;blackberries on the back fence when I was a kid, but that was a bit unusual.
    • What's NTV?
    • Buddy Wasisname and Toni Marie Wiseman ?? Is the "Wasisname" part a joke? Who are they?
    • What's St. John's?
    • " The shed or the barn are acceptable places for grown men and sometimes women to drink and socialize." Well, that sounds like parts of Texas. I had friends once who had converted their barn into a party barn, complete with dance floor, stage and bar.

Let's see if I can clarify some of this stuff:

- Berry picking: What, you people don't pick berries?? I love berry picking!! You get some containers to put the berries in, then head out to your favourite berry-picking place, like my grandfather's farm. We pick strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, partridgeberries, but there aren't any blackberries up here. Berry picking is huge here, everyone does it in the summer, I love it!!

- NTV: That's the local TV network around here, it shows the local news and other local programming, plus all of the usual soap operas and sitcoms and all of that. NTV is short for "Newfoundland Television".

- Buddy Wasisname and Toni-Marie Wiseman: Two Newfoundland celebrities. Toni-Marie Wiseman is a newsanchor/weathergirl for NTV. "Buddy Wasisname" is a Newfoundland singer/comedian, he heads up "Buddy Wasisname and the Other Fellers", a popular musical group here. And yes, that name is part of the joke - his real name is more boring (Kevin Blackmore).

- St. John's: That's the provincial capital and the biggest city in Newfoundland - the city has a population of around 100 000 people. For Newfoundland, that's a big city - our whole provincial population is under half a million people. St. John's is pretty much where everything "cool" is around here. When I was little, going to St. John's for the day was a huge thing for me, and even now, when I'm at home, I look forward to going to St. John's, it's still a treat. Newfoundland is very rural, St. John's is as close as we get to a "big city".

- Sheds/Barns: In a lot of rural areas, that's where people hang out. You get a shed, maybe a woodstove, string up a few lights, put up a dartboard, get an old stereo and a few cases of beer, and you got yourself a party. There's not much to do around here, it's really quiet and rural here, that's how people entertain themselves.

Hehehe, yeah, the rest is kinda quaint, isn't it?? It doesn't seem like that to me, because I've lived here all my life, but from someone else's perspective, I could definitely see that. Everything is old-fashioned here, it's small, it's quiet, it's clean, it's traditional, and yes, we think that everyone else in the world has a funny accent, not us.

Of course, any Newfie who'd read this would understand all of it and think it's hilarious, just because it's all so true.

How does real Newfoundland life compare to "The Shipping News"?? It's been ages since I saw that movie, but there are some similarities, that's for sure. And Gordon Pinsent, the actor playing Billy Pretty in that movie, is actually a Newfoundlander, so he had the accent down pat. I'll have to post a few pictures here sometime, just so you guys can see a little bit of what it looks like here, I think it's really pretty, maybe you will, too.

Keep in mind, though, that the only out-houses here now are in the woods next to someone's cabin, we do have running water here, thanks, and no, we don't eat "seal flipper pie", but some people are quite fond of seal flippers.

And might I add, I think that Newfoundland is the best place in the world to live. We all love it here. A Newfoundland politician once said:

"You'll always recognize Newfoundlanders in Heaven - they're the only ones that want to go home."

I couldn't agree more.

-Becka :) (again, of the "proud Newfoundlander" class)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Print This PagePrint This Page

Saltwater Cowboys
    See Also The Saltwater Cowboy Comes Home

Click Here for guitar tabs.

A Newfie's a Newfie wherever he goes,
    It don't seem to matter the cut of his clothes,
    The gleam in his eyes and the way that he walks,
    And the true Newfie tone in the way that he talks.

Oh, by the Lord dyin', by the thunderin' gee,
    How are you doin' you son-of-a-b?
    You can't fool your old man by dressin' like that,
    You're still just a Newfie in a Calgary hat.

Over the years when things just aren't the best,
    A lot of our fellers head out for the west;
    But everyone knows that they ain't gonna stay,
    They'll always come back their up-along ways.

No one suspected we'd ever have oil,
    The Newfies took off for Alberta a while;
    They traded their rubbers and the sou'wester caps,
    For rodeo boots and big Calgary hats.

Saltwater cowboys is new you'll agree,
    It seems we've created a new kind of breed,
    With our hats and our songs and our talk about oil,
    We even talk Newfie in a soft-Texas style.

By the Lord dyin', by the thunderin' gee,
    How are you doin' you son-of-a- b?

You're still just a Newfie in a Calgary hat,

####.... Simani (Saltwater Cowoys, 1981) ....####
  • SusanHere
    SusanHere

A Newfie joke a Canadian shared with me:

"Did you hear that Newfies (sp) just got a delivery of 12,000 septic tanks?"

(No, what do they need with all those tanks?)

"Well, as soon as they learn to drive them, they plan to invade Canada."

Can't believe I finally have an opportunity to share that and hope it's not offensive!

Susan

P.S. Are my teenage sons the only ones who consider that to be amusing?

• willyloman
    willyloman

Just trying to work in a reference to "The Shipping News" here.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    P.S. Are my teenage sons the only ones who consider that to be amusing?

*ahem* Yes.

Normally, I find "stupid Newfie" jokes to be rather offensive, but I know that this one wasn't shared out of ignorance or rudeness, so no offense taken. We Newfies tend to be pretty easygoing in general, we don't offend easy. So don't worry about it, no offense taken at all.

And besides, why would we want to invade Canada?? We like it here, we don't need Canada, too. Although I must say, I think my fellow Newfoundlanders have done a pretty good job of taking over Alberta.

-Becka :) (of the "I'm a Newfoundlander first, a Canadian second" class)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Newfies can only be good for mellowing Albertans out.

• Undecided
    Undecided

How long has it been since someone Found that New Land? Sounds like you are happy there. I like the south here in NC. It's 70 degrees out today with lots of birds singing. Trees starting to bud and buttercups blooming. Getting to be too many cars on the road though, but you can ride off the main roads in the country and really enjoy a quite beautiful ride.

Have a happy life there, and send me some blue berries, I love them.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit