"Death cleaners" possible JW suicide not pretty

by DannyHaszard 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Know this! Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem Death Cleaners
    Riverfront Times, MO - 24 minutes ago
    ... Religious books scattered across the floor — the Bible and Jehovah's Witness literature — reveal the victim may have been searching for a higher power he ... meetgr1.jpg

Death Cleaners

Meet the people who scrape up the most godawful messes in Missouri

[email protected] Jennifer Polk's job is to mop up the hellish mess, not ask questions. But to her trained eye, the sticky remnants of a suicide tell plenty. "You can tell by the teeth in the ceiling that he placed the barrel under his chin," observes Polk, whose Jefferson County firm, Midwest Crisis Cleaning, is one of but a few local businesses engaged in the macabre industry of death cleaning. "When they put the barrel in the mouth, everything above the teeth blows up. The jaw usually stays intact." It's been at least 72 hours since the victim ended his life in this nondescript apartment in west St. Louis County. Earlier on this gray February morning, the coroner's office arrived to collect the body. Still, there's so much more to clean. Congealed blood blankets the room, lending the walls the appearance of an ersatz Pollock abstract. The shotgun blast ripped through the victim's skull and punched a hole through the ceiling. A narrow stream of sunlight now pours through the fist-size opening, penetrating the darkness. The suffocating odor of death hangs heavy. Religious books scattered across the floor — the Bible and Jehovah's Witness literature — reveal the victim may have been searching for a higher power he never found. Dressed in blue hazmat suits, the 33-year-old Jennifer Polk and her crew of four men — full-time firefighters and EMTs whom she hires at $50 per hour — diligently begin the grisly task. Parts of the walls can be wiped free with virus-killing disinfectants and household cleaners. Others will have to be replaced with new drywall. Any fabric tainted with body fluids — including the bloodied sofa-sleeper on which the victim fell — is placed in red biohazard bags destined for a medical-waste incinerator. With clinical calm, Polk points to a waxy blot on the wall and asks, "You see that stain there? That's brain matter. It's almost impossible to get off." In the corner of the room, a moist and matted section of scalp might be mistaken for a small, drowned rodent. Next to it, the athletic Polk bends down to pick up a tablespoon-size fragment of skull. "I'm always surprised how absolutely clean skull comes out," she says matter-of-factly. "It's so white and clean. No fluid whatsoever." Soon, she's tiptoeing around the room like a beachcomber, filling a Ziploc freezer bag with the jigsaw-puzzle remains of the victim's crown. Her employees look on in shocked silence. "Normally we joke around during jobs," she concedes. "You couldn't do this without a sense of humor. But look at this piece of scalp. You can see where he parted his hair. He was what, maybe 25 years old?" Kris Dougherty says he got into the death-cleaning business a dozen years ago. "If you told me I could have ten of these cleanups a day, I wouldn't want them," says Dougherty, who charges as much as $20,000 for the most repugnant scrub-downs. "Unfortunately, there's a need for this. I look at it as a civic duty, like nurses or teachers." As president of a company that provides cleaning services to hotels, Dougherty routinely received calls from clients asking him if he could sanitize a room following one's final summons. Hotels, notes Dougherty, are popular destinations for people with a death wish. "They want to get away from their natural environment. Go someplace no one can find them. A hotel is the logical choice," posits the 45-year-old Dougherty, whose St. Ann-based Anchor Trauma and Fatality Service has deterged dozens of hotel suicides over the years. Hotels relieve the victim's family the burden of having to hose off the hideous leftovers, adds Dougherty. "If you really want to do a clean suicide, go in the bathroom, shut the door, get in the shower, turn the water on — then shoot yourself." It's not just suicides. Not sure what to do with the decomposing remains of that bedridden aunt? Stumble upon the scene of a blood-drenched homicide? Find a co-worker's corpse pinned beneath the conveyor belt? Call a death cleaner. "The medical examiner will get the bulk of it," says Dougherty. "But their job is not to clean. Generally any body part smaller than a quarter gets left behind." Governing Body as evil rulers causing death (footnote from Danny Haszard-I know of many Jehovah's Witness member suicides or attempts)

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    Know this! Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Get help!! There is a (good) life after the cult!

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

In his "Adams Versus God," Melbourne broadcaster Phillip Adams said in 1985 that, according to US studies, "Jehovah's Witnesses are more likely to be admitted to psychiatric hospitals than the general population". "According to an article in the British Journal of Psychiatry," he said, "they are three times more likely to be diagnosed as suffering from schizophrenia and four times more likely to be paranoid schizophrenics. "As a writer in the American journal Free Inquiry puts it: 'Either the Jehovah's Witness sect tends to attract an excess of pre-psychotic individuals who may then break down, or else being a Jehovah's Witness is itself a stress that may precipitate psychosis,possibly both of these factors operate together" Are they knocking at your door?

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's amazing what ppl can think of to start up a business this one here is quite grisly but they seem to have got used to it. I liked the nonchalant way he talks about a clean suicide in a shower with running water.

But yes the WTS has caused a lot of suicides through its inhumane policies that include excommunication and ostrcism from even close family members and friends.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

I was humming the M*A*S*H theme-song while reading the article :-)

-silent

• james_woods
    james_woods

Danny, I don't know if you or others have posted on this before - but:

Do we remember that weird case where an A10 attack jet just went off the scope after a training mission in Arizona? After an intensive search they found it crashed into the top of a mountain in Colorado (way up high in the Rocky Mts. close to the continental divide). It had live bombs on board and they never found them. The cause was put down to suicide over family issues. This was about the time of Desert Storm the first.

This guy was a lost JW - again, they found a lot of JW literature around his AFB apartment. He was being shunned by his mother for leaving and going into the air force.

James

• serendipity
    serendipity

RIP, anonymous Missouri man.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    Do we remember that weird case where an A10 attack jet just went off the scope after a training mission in Arizona?

Yes,saw it on Court Television

• anewme
    anewme

Thanks for shower tip for a clean suicide!
    But I dont need it now-------I'm out and free!!!!!

• anewme
    anewme

.....just a note....maybe a warning for the squeamish should be posted at the beginning of this thread.
    I nearly lost my lunch!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit