Pedophile allowed to stand behind Constitution

by ohiocowboy 20 Replies latest social current

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

This is wrong, wrong, wrong...What are they thinking???

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-03-07T125604Z_01_N06170434_RTRUKOC_0_US-CALIFORNIA-SEX.xml

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A 22-year-old Californian man who received oral sex from a sixteen-year-old girl should not be forced to register for life as a sex offender, the California Supreme Court ruled on Monday.

The state's top court found that California denied Vincent Hofsheier equal protection under the law because those having intercourse in such circumstances would not be forced to register as lifetime sex offenders.

Hofsheier appealed after being ordered to register his name on the list, which is shared with the public and carries significant stigma.

"Requiring mandatory lifetime registration of all persons who, like defendant here, were convicted of voluntary oral copulation with a minor of the age of 16 or 17, but not of someone convicted of voluntary sexual intercourse with a minor of the same age, violates the equal protection clauses of the federal and state Constitutions," the court ruled.

"We perceive no reason why the legislature would conclude that persons who are convicted of voluntary oral copulation with adolescents 16 to 17 years old...constitute a class of 'particularly incorrigible offenders'... who require lifetime surveillance as sex offenders."

U.S. law on oral sex has evolved over the years, and it was not until 1975 that oral sex between consenting adults was decriminalized in California. Today, in 38 of the 50 U.S. states consensual sex with a 16- or 17-year old is legal.

In the case, Hofsheier pleaded guilty and received probation after meeting the teenager in an Internet chat room and sharing rum and orange juice with her at a beach.

The California Supreme Court's decision returns the case to a lower court to decide whether he should still be subject to registration under that court's discretionary authority.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

• Texas Apostate
    Texas Apostate

That's Kalifornia for ya!!!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    "Requiring mandatory lifetime registration of all persons who, like defendant here, were convicted of voluntary oral copulation with a minor of the age of 16 or 17, but not of someone convicted of voluntary sexual intercourse with a minor of the same age, violates the equal protection clauses of the federal and state Constitutions," the court ruled.

"We perceive no reason why the legislature would conclude that persons who are convicted of voluntary oral copulation with adolescents 16 to 17 years old...constitute a class of 'particularly incorrigible offenders'... who require lifetime surveillance as sex offenders."

Forgive a stupid question, but is the age of consent in California 16 years old?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

ohiocowboy:

What makes you think this young man is a pedophile? The only mention in the report of him having sex is with a 16-year-old. What sort of crazy country would he have to live in to be considered worthy of being on a sex offenders list for getting a voluntary blowjob from someone old enough to drive?

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Ohio,

Was there something else in this guys background that indicated he was a paedophile ? The way I understand it paedophiles are attracted only to prepubescent children -- not sexually developed older children. There is still the issue of statutory rape for someone under the age of consent. But, I did not see that in the article. What is the age of consent in California ?

Your friend, Rabbit

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy
    What makes you think this young man is a pedophile? The only mention in the report of him having sex is with a 16-year-old. What sort of crazy country would he have to live in to be considered worthy of being on a sex offenders list for getting a voluntary blowjob from someone old enough to drive?

Well, they call the girl a "Minor", and an "Adolescent". It led me to believe that she was underage. He is 22, a grown adult male. I assumed that pedophilia meant having sex with someone underage. I never thought that there would be a difference in having sex with a minor whether they would be 6 or 16. I thought it was wrong.

In regards to the voluntary part of it....Do you not think that a pedophile um man that has sex with an adolescent, could possibly see on the news that as long as the Minor or Adolescent consents that it is OK? Maybe now they will realize that they can rework their strategy, and talk the minor into sexual acts, knowing that the law would be on their side as long as the minor said OK? It could set a new precendent on what defines the word "Consent".

I must have got the wrong idea from reading it. I would have never thought that the age of consent would be someone as young as 16. I seem to recall that if a girl that young wants to have an abortion, get married, or get birth control pills, that she has to have it approved through a parent or legal guardian, as she would not be considered an adult at that age. Yes, she may be able to drive, but the 22 year old guy is an adult who can go to bars and get drunk if he wants to, enter into legal contracts if he wants to, get married without anyone's permission, and so on.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

http://www.ageofconsent.com/california.htm

California -- Age of Consent

calif.gif (12138 bytes)

PENAL CODE

SECTION 261-269

261.5. (a) Unlawful sexual intercourse is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person who is not the spouse of the perpetrator, if the person is a minor. 
     For the purposes of this section, a "minor" is a person  under the age of 18 years and an "adult" is a person  who is at least 18 years of age.
  • Buster
    Buster

If I read correctly:

The act was illegal. The perpetrator was facing, along with the conviction, the ominous stigma of having to register for the rest of his life.

The controversy arises when someone else, convicted of a very similar act, would face drastically different and lesser punishment. In this case, someone found to have had regular coitus with a 16-yr-old would not face the requirement to register for life.

The judge decided that such dissimilar punishments for such similar offenses amounted to unequal treatment.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I don't think there is that much idfference in their ages. By the age of 16 , a minor can be ajudicated. I don't think it fair either to sadle this man with "pedophile" if this is all that has occured. Surely common sense has to come into play here. The 16 yr old is old enough to know what she is doing, generally speaking.

I believe the supreme court should establish an across the board age of consent and that is it. one state says 16, one 18. that is crazy. Pick an age, and stick with it. But I do know this too, even if the girl was of age of consent, if she was mentally ill. or mentally challenged, he could be violating the law. You have to instill respect for other humans in your children and hope for the best.

I have sons, I have had them tell me girls lie to them. They say girls will tease and provake men to engage in sex. Can you tell the difference between a 16 yr old and an 18 yr old? probably not. I have told them upfront that the law is not on their side, b/c for so long men got away with horrible crimes against women. So now men pay.They had better be darn sure that girl is 18 before they even hold her hand. Parents should tell both young people, girls and boys, to not engage in sex before they are ready for the consequences, and to never lie about their age as they could send someone to prision by doing that.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Pedophilia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Redirected from Pedophile) Jump to: navigation, search

Pedophilia (Am. English), or paedophilia (Commonwealth English), is the paraphilia of being sexually attracted primarily or exclusively to prepubescent children. Persons with this attraction are called pedophiles.

Outside the medical community, the term pedophile is frequently used to denote not only people meeting the medical definition but, also, people who are sexually attracted to adolescents and not prepubescents, as well as people who have engaged in sexual activity with a child. Some scholars refer to a sexual interest in adolescents as ephebophilia. [1]

Contents

[ hide ]

[edit]

Definition

The word comes from the Greek paidophilia (pa?d?f???a)—pais (pa?d?, "child") and philia (f???a, "love, friendship").

The term paedophilia erotica was coined in 1896 by the Vienna psychiatrist Richard von Krafft-Ebing in his writing Psychopathia Sexualis. He gave the following characteristics:

• the sexual interest is toward children, either prepubescent or at the beginning of puberty
    • the sexual interest is the primary one, that is, exclusively or mainly toward children
    • the sexual interest remains over time

Strictly speaking, this definition would include many adolescents and prepubescents, for whom such an interest might be normal; thus, some experts add the criterion that the interest be toward children at least five years younger than the subject. However, according to some experts, there is evidence that a diagnosis of pedophilia can be appropriate for a post-pubescent adolescent. [2] See entry for sexologist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit