Entertained at Christening party by JW

by Fe2O3Girl 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

On Sunday, one my closest friend's daughter was christened. After the church service, we went to a small party for about 40 family and friends.

At the venue I noticed an elderly gent wearing a tux, and realised I recognised him from somewhere, but couldn't place him immediately. He started going from table to table doing card tricks and various illusions. By the time he got to our table I was sure he was a JW I met before I left 11 years ago. He opened his wallet at one point and I noticed his "No Blood" card - it was definately him!

He was very entertaining, and sat with us for quite a while. At one point he asked what the party was for - was it a birthday? - but didn't make any further comment. On reflection, I don't blame him for entertaining at Worldy, Pagan functions. He wouldn't make a living from JW parties where the workmen never get their wages.

I didn't let on that I knew him in a former life.

Edited to add: He showed us how he did most of the tricks, to dispel any idea that it was magic!

• vitty
    vitty

If its the same guy I saw at an engagement party, he was really good and I heard he worked with Tommy cooper as an adviser.

He was quite old when I saw him but he was good and the kids loved it. Poor old fella

• Latte
    Latte
    If its the same guy I saw at an engagement party, he was really good and I heard he worked with Tommy cooper as an adviser

Wonder if it is him? He entertained at my wedding too...! i believe his wife is very opposed...to da troof. He had a meal at our house. When I asked him what he likes (giving him choices) he said "a bowl of sick will be fine" LOL

• dozy
    dozy

I know of the guy - getting on a bit but very good. He has loads of tales about Tommy Cooper & appeared on stage with Morecambe & Wise in the 60's at the London Palladium. Think he is a MS ("silver servant" type). He is well known amongst witnesses in England. Good to hear he is still working.

He does appear at witness gatherings - he was at a witness wedding reception that I attended a couple of years ago in Halifax but tends to tone down the magic side (other than "producing" coins from kids ears) - tells a few anecdotes , makes balloon animals - that kind of thing.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Yep, it is the same chap. Nice guy.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Strange how the narrow minded JWs tolerate this, being so supersensitive to anything that is even slightly connected to other religions and their way of worship. To them it's interaction with satan's religions, as if they are not a satanic lying and exploiting religion.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered
    He wouldn't make a living from JW parties where the workmen never get their wages.

That's for sure. They don't have parties. Only meetings & assemblies

Dismembered

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Dub making money at a pagan event...Going off on a slight tangent here but I always thought it was well dodgy that Dave Hill backing singer, lead guitarist with Slade should make so much money out of performing "Merry Christmas Everyone", especially when you consider he's an elder.

• Trojan
    Trojan

In some countries/halls the guy would be sitting in a JC (performing magic/spiritistic stuff).....As a kid i always wanted to buy one of these "all-in-the-box" magical tricks, but the elders in the hall told my mother this is all satanic and evil.....

.......no playing around with cards, and definitely no watching magicians on TV......

.....how can he get away with it? Funny.

Trojan.

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

Edited to add: He showed us how he did most of the tricks, to dispel any idea that it was magic! I bet you thought it was real magic before he showed you huh? lol My kids couldn't watch the Smurfs when they were little, but this guy can do Magic Tricks at Pagan gatherings. I don't get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit