Insight Book on CD-ROM under CHRONOLOGY different from print version.

by ithinkisee 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Evidently implies "maybe" as opposed to it being a true fact. They use words like that all the time including" possibly, apparently etc

• FairMind
    FairMind

Stilla is right. They qualify their statements so that no one can say they stated something as a fact that was not a fact. Of course a JW is still expected to accept the qualified statement as a fact.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Evidently implies "maybe" as opposed to it being a true fact. They use words like that all the time including" possibly, apparently etc

Yep - got leave room to wiggle out later if need be, ya' know! Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    A Babylonian clay tablet is helpful for connecting Babylonian chronology with Biblical chronology. This tablet contains the following astronomical information for the seventh year of Cambyses II son of Cyrus II: "Year 7, Tammuz, night of the 14th, 1 2/3 double hours [three hours and twenty minutes] after night came, a lunar eclipse; visible in its full course; it reached over the northern half disc [of the moon]. Tebet, night of the 14th, two and a half double hours [five hours] at night before morning [in the latter part of the night], the disc of the moon was eclipsed; the whole course visible; over the southern and northern part the eclipse reached." (Inschriften von Cambyses, König von Babylon, by J. N. Strassmaier, Leipzig, 1890, No. 400, lines 45-48; Sternkunde und Sterndienst in Babel, by F. X. Kugler, Münster, 1907, Vol. I, pp. 70, 71) These two lunar eclipses can evidently

be identified with the lunar eclipses that were visible at Babylon on July 16, 523 B.C.E., and on January 10, 522 B.C.E. (Oppolzer’s Canon of Eclipses, translated by O. Gingerich, 1962, p. 335) Thus, this tablet establishes the seventh year of Cambyses II as beginning in the spring of 523 B.C.E. This is an astronomically confirmed date.

This is from my 2001 CD-ROM. The word evidently is not only there - but they italicized and made it bold. I thought when I saw ITIS's above he had done so. They want the reader to see that word clearly. WOW!

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

DOn't know why it split the quote - I did not intend that.

Jeff

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

The german WT-Lib from 2003 does not contain the equivalence for "evidently" but gives the straight expression of "can be identified".

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I think that their use of the word "evidently" is intended to go beyond the typical meaning of 'maybe', and instead is meant to imply that it serves as 'evidence'.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

My hardcopy Insight (which is the newest one) has "evidently", so EVIDENTLY it is just the first printing which does not have the word added.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

2003 CD

A Babylonian clay tablet is helpful for connecting Babylonian chronology with Biblical chronology. This tablet contains the following astronomical information for the seventh year of Cambyses II son of Cyrus II: "Year 7, Tammuz, night of the 14th, 1 2/3 double hours [three hours and twenty minutes] after night came, a lunar eclipse; visible in its full course; it reached over the northern half disc [of the moon]. Tebet, night of the 14th, two and a half double hours [five hours] at night before morning [in the latter part of the night], the disc of the moon was eclipsed; the whole course visible; over the southern and northern part the eclipse reached." (Inschriften von Cambyses, König von Babylon, by J. N. Strassmaier, Leipzig, 1890, No. 400, lines 45-48; Sternkunde und Sterndienst in Babel, by F. X. Kugler, Münster, 1907, Vol. I, pp. 70, 71) These two lunar eclipses can evidently

be identified with the lunar eclipses that were visible at Babylon on July 16, 523 B.C.E., and on January 10, 522 B.C.E. (Oppolzer’s Canon of Eclipses, translated by O. Gingerich, 1962, p. 335) Thus, this tablet establishes the seventh year of Cambyses II as beginning in the spring of 523 B.C.E. This is an astronomically confirmed date.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It's funny that they've added 'evidently' for the lunar eclipses establishing Cambyses 7th year as an astronomically confirmed date, because over the page it says,

Insight I, p. 454 Chronology ' Astronomical Calculations'.

Many of the so-called synchronizations of astronomical data with events or dates of ancient history are based on solar or lunar eclipses. However, any "particular town or city would on the average experience about 40 lunar eclipses and 20 partial solar eclipses in 50 years, [although] only one total solar eclipse in 400 years." (Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1971, Vol. 7, p. 907) So, only in the case of a definitely stated total solar eclipse visible in a specific area would there be little reason for doubt in the fixing of a particular historical date by such means. In many cases the material from the ancient cuneiform texts (or other sources) concerning eclipses does not provide such specific information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit