Watchtower 2005 CD library - can anyone help me??

by Super_Becka 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

OK, so in my efforts to get some research done and learn more about the WTS rather than relying solely on everyone else here for help, I decided to download the 2005 WT Library to do my own searches and such. After all, how else would a non-JW like myself have access to past publications and such?? And I'm dying of curiosity here, I want to do some of my own research, just to see what I can come up with.

So I download the ISO file and then I don't know what to do with it.

I tried downloading an ISO-burning tool, but that won't work for me. I ended up making a bunch of coasters.

I tried Nero. I made another coaster.

I found an excuse to ask my computer-geek boyfriend about ISO files (for another program that I'm trying to install that's not WTS-related), and he recommended using WinRar to extract and install it.

So I install WinRar (it's like a super-version of WinZip) and try that.

Aha, it lets me unzip the WT Library ISO and install it from there.

I do a complete install - this version of the library CD-ROM lets you do a complete install so that you don't need the CD to run it. Perfect, just what I needed!! No more coasters!!

So I install it, and it works.

Or so I think.

I can open the program, and it shows me the daily reading, and all of the icons and buttons are there for me to click.

But if I actually try to do something - like searching the publications or accessing the NWT - it tells me that "Watchtower Library has experienced a problem and cannot continue", I click "OK" and the whole program closes.

I repaired it. It still didn't work.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. It still doesn't work.

Anyone have any idea how I can get this to work for me??

I'm a total research geek, I live for this stuff and I'm curious as all hell to dive into this, I need to know how to get this to work so that I can satisfy my curiosity. Especially because I'm in touch with someone that I'm swapping research and ideas with (he's married to an inactive/unbaptized JW who's studying under pressure from her JW mother) and I'd like to be able to look some stuff up for us to talk about and ask about.

Help!!

-Becka :)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Do you have an old Windows OS or something?

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Old OS?? Nope.

I run Windows XP (Service Pack 2) on a Toshiba Satellite A10 series laptop, it's about 2.5 years old, has a Celeron 2.4GB processor, 256MB of RAM, a 40GB hard drive and usually runs reasonably well considering.

Anyone else with XP having trouble??

-Becka :)

• M.J.
    M.J.

I used Roxio easy CD creator. Worked like a charm. I'm Running Windows 2000.

Wish I could help more than mentioning what worked for me...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I just did a little bit of google research....

Apparently a good program to use to write the ISO to CD is http://www.cdburnerxp.se/, for it has a "BURN ISO" button that makes sure it is done right. Apparently, when you burn a CD with an ISO file, it cannot be written as a file but as an image. That might be why you kept getting coasters.

Also, apparently extracting from the ISO does not always extract everything (e.g. executability), so maybe that is why it fails because not all the system files were extracted?

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I used Roxio easy CD creator. Worked like a charm. I'm Running Windows 2000. M.J.

I did the same and I'm running XP/2, 512 MB RAM, AMD Athlon 3000+ processor.

You may not have enough memory to install it correctly?

• VM44
    VM44

There might have been errors made when burning the ISO file onto the CD.

Try writing the ISO file at a slower speed to the CD.

--VM44

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I believe Leolaia's pinpointed the likely culprit. If you use nero you shouldn't simply burn the iso file onto the blank but use the option where you burn a disk image or saved project (which is the ISO) onto your blank.

Something to also consider is that there may have been some corruption while downloading. But I don't see any info on the reexaminer website that could be used to checksum the download.

Good suggestion there too VM. Make sure the speed setting doesn't surpass the rated speed of the cdr when burning and even go slower.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    If you use nero you shouldn't simply burn the iso file onto the blank but use the option where you burn a disk image or saved project (which is the ISO) onto your blank.

That's exactly what I did, but it still didn't work. I think the gods of the ISO file hate me.

Apparently a good program to use to write the ISO to CD is http://www.cdburnerxp.se/, for it has a "BURN ISO" button that makes sure it is done right. Apparently, when you burn a CD with an ISO file, it cannot be written as a file but as an image. That might be why you kept getting coasters.

Hmm, maybe I'll try downloading that program, it can't help and at the worst, I'll just end up with another coaster.

I keep trying to burn the ISO onto a CD as an image, not just as a file, but it never seems to work for me. Again, I think the gods of the ISO file hate me.

Hmm, and maybe WinRar hates me, too. Who knows, I seem to have real issues with technology. Does anyone else out there think that technology in general hates them??

I've never had trouble with my CD burner before, it's usually so good to me, but lately, I must say, it's been giving me grief, I've made entirely too many coasters trying to back things up. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out before my warranty runs out. Remind me to bring my computer in to the repair shop when I get home in April.

-Becka :) (of the "technology, pfft" class)

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Hey Becka,

Do you clean the lens pf the burner fairly often?

edit: pf = of

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit