Good books on the history of the Bible? Origins, translations, alterations

by somebodylovesme 11 Replies latest jw friends

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

I'm looking for good scholarly books that address the Bible's history -- its origins, translations, alterations, suppressions ... in other words, the history the Elders never told you. ;) I'm not a religious person (I would probably be classified as a weak atheist if I cared much about classifications), but I am very fascinated by religion and would like to expand my own historical knowledge.

Bonus points for any books that address the similarities between Judaism/Christianity and Zoroastrianism.

Thanks!! :)

• Chimene
    Chimene

The DaVinchy Code might be good

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

LOL -- I've got Da Vinci Code on my dresser right now. Bought it a few weeks ago and haven't quite got to it yet. Thanks. ;)

• Chimene
    Chimene

Your welcome, sorry for the mis-spelling. I was just told about that book this weekend myself, and I'm dying to read it! Talks about Jesus having women apostles, and Jesus having a child with Mary Magdoline, VERY interesting

• carla
    carla

I believe that is considered a work of fiction. Is it not?

• gumby
    gumby

"The Jesus Mysteries" was an interesting book on the comparisons of christianity with older myths.

Gumby

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I think Bart D. Ehrman would be an excellent start.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There are a lot of good books out there and then there are some poor examples of fringe "scholarship" (Tony Bushby's Bible Fraud comes easily to mind) that should be avoided. Too often sensationalistic polemical books get more attention than sober research pieces.

It sometimes is good to start with one of the "oldies but goodies". For the novice, Asimov's Guide to the Bible is pretty nice....it gives a book-by-book survey that gives the consensus critical view (tho of course somewhat dated, published in the '60s), and is written in simple language for the layperson. For something more advanced, my favorite books are S. R. Driver's Introduction to the Literature of the Old Testament and James Moffatt's Introduction to the Literature of the New Testament. There's a ton of detailed, fascinating information in these books, tho again they are a century out of date.

Current stuff that is good to start with include Bart Ehrman's The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings, Lost Christianities and Misquoting Jesus. For the OT, some important books for laypeople include Richard Friedman's Who Wrote the Bible?, Israel Finkelstein's The Bible Unearthed, and Tim Callahan's The Secret Origins of the Bible. For an excellent survey of the roots of Christianity in early Judaism, the best book on the subject for the novice is George Nickelsburg's Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins. For info on the origins of Israelite and Jewish religion, Mark Smith's The Early History of God is the best.

Hope this helps!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah, the Da Vinci Code is fiction through and through. It's misrepresentation of early Christianity is way off the mark, and there is not much basis for many other of its claims.

Freke & Gandy (The Jesus Mysteries) is an okay book, but quite disappointing from my own point of view because it lays too much weight to Hellenistic influence and ignores the native Jewish soil of Christianity (i.e. apart from Hellenistic influence). Earl Doherty's Bible Puzzle is better, but relies too much on its low chronology of dating early Christian books (not convincingly in imho). Instead, for stuff on the "Jesus myth" model of Christian origins, I would prefer G. A. Wells Jesus Legend and Jesus Myth, as well as some of Robert Price's stuff.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Thanks for the tips!! (Amazon.com, here I come ...)

Yeah, I know Da Vinci is solidly lodged in the fiction aisle, which I why I wasn't even going to read it at first. Now I want to read it because my husband's going to want to see the movie, and I want to read the book first. *shrugs*

I'm really excited about diving into this. :D Thanks so much!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit