Flu "Epidemic" at School

by Scully 11 Replies latest social family

• Scully
    Scully

One of my kids was sent home from school last Thursday with symptoms of headache, fever, chills, aching joints. The next day, still not feeling well, she asks to go to the doctor, so I know this is not your typical kid-wanting-to-get-out-of-school thing.

I get a call from the school principal, and it turns out that out of about 400 students, almost 25% of the kids have come down with the same symptoms. The Public Health Department is notified. The school has to be completely disinfected over the weekend, and kids with symptoms are supposed to be in "quarantine" for a minimum of 5 days... meaning... no school.

I spoke with him again this morning, and find out there's even more kids home again today - so many that the answering machine couldn't hold all the messages that came in to report kids staying home sick. Now the other one (along with Mr Scully and myself) is having symptoms. I guess we'll be housebound for a few days.... I hate being sick.

Anyone else ever have a school almost shut down over a bug that was making all the kids sick?

• Chimene
    Chimene

That happened last week here in SC!!!!! An elementary School in Irmo. Out of 750 students, on the second day of the break out, they said over 300 of the students were at home with a stomach flu! Along with 15 teachers. DEHEC closed the school down for a week to disinfect also, thats scary......

• carla
    carla

eeww! everyone sick at the same time? yuk. How is it that everyone has the same thing but mom's are the only ones who still have to function? make soup, extra blankets, meds, stop the bickering and whatever else someone wants! Good luck with that flu. Hope it goes quick.

• Scully
    Scully
    How is it that everyone has the same thing but mom's are the only ones who still have to function?

My evil plan involves getting everyone else to take care of me when they're all better again. You know, that I-must-still-be-sick-because-I-didn't-get-lot-of-rest-and-wore-myself-out-while-I-was-taking-care-of-you-lot thing.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My son had that flu two weeks ago severe headache and body pain . He asked to be taken to the doctor too ! They gave him pain reliever which did help so he could just sleep.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

So sad that such plans rarely work out

Last year the local school achieved 1/3 sickness rate amongst staff and pupils before closing to avoid further spread.

Thusfar we've been spared, but there are quite a few bigs and colds doing the rounds.

• delilah
    delilah

Oh no, Scully....I haven't heard of that happening here yet .....there is a respiritory flu going around, and my youngest son, my husband, daughter, and 9 month old grandson are all ill with it. They're all coughing and hacking...sounds like a quartet around here when they get going! I'm staying as far away as possible, I can't miss work! Take care, and I hope you guys are all feeling better soon. Lots of chicken soup, and Ginger ale!!!

• Dune
    Dune

this sounds like the plot to a really good made for TV sci fi flick.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Scully,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I don't know where you are but here in the Pittsburgh area this past week, there have been several cases of scarlet fever reported from some elementary schools. They are trying to downplay it but some of the media is really pushing for disclosure on it.

From what several radio talk show hosts have said, it is highly contageous.

If interested, you can go to KDKA Radio.com and check it out. Or the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

Keep an eye on the youngsters.

HappyDad

• damselfly
    damselfly

Oh poor Scully! I hope if you do get sick someone takes care of you.

This is my first year for getting the flu shot and so far I haven't even caught a cold. Everyone around me is coughing and hacking but the most I've had is a swollen lymph node for a few days.

**Scarlet fever? Yikes!**

Dams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit