Live for 100 years

by Ellie 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

Did anyone see the TV programme 'Time' last night?

Maybe you all know this already but I was quite shocked to hear that scientists are working on some kind of gene therapy to prolong human life.

According to 1 scientist, within the next 40 years they will have figured out a way to alter our genes which will enable us to live an extra 20 years, by the time that 20 years is up they will have advanced to be able to prolong our lives to 200 years, and he predicted that before long we will be able to live to be 1000 to 2000.

• M.J.
    M.J.

My impression was that the real limitation in human lifespan was the death of brain cells. That they die and are not replaced...and thus we notice how at the end of life the brain function of many people isn't as sharp as it once was.

So if life was dragged out even further, what about the brain lifespan?

If we're able to regenerate brain cells, over time will we retain our original mind or will we continually morph into totally different personalities? This is deep.

• Ellie
    Ellie

According to what they were saying on the programme, the reason we die is that our cells become damaged and cannot keep repairing themselfs, but they have found a way to make our cells repair themselfs indefinately.

Don't ask me though, I'm no scientist.

• Tish
    Tish

That would probably be ok but according to statistics our children will not live to be as old as us as they are living such an unhealthy life, so maybe they should sort that out first

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    he predicted that before long we will be able to live to be 1000 to 2000.

Does this mean that we will all need to be "nipped in the bud" to prevent over population???

• Clam
    Clam

Ellie I saw that. Really fascinating programme.

Maybe “This generation will by no means pass away™”

• Ellie
    Ellie

Well according to the watchtower, the entire poplulation of the earth could fit in Texas, so I doubt it.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Scientists sometimes talk non sense to boast or misinform the public, or things that they thought were simple turn out to be a lot more complicated. Do they know an exact mechanism through which this can happen? Have they tested it? I don't think so, this living for centuries is another firework.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Who'd want to live that long in an old body?

• moshe
    moshe

Who would want to live to be 100? Maybe you need some incentive!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit