Back from my surgery; talked to hospital staff about JW's and blood!

by Virgochik 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I'm home from my surgery. It went very well, and I didn't need a blood transfusion, tho I signed a consent for one if needed. I was able to talk to my surgeon and three different nurses about JW's and blood transfusions. I had requested that my JW relatives not be told if I did have a transfusion. One nurse seemed unfamiliar with the JW beliefs, so I gave her a background on their views, and the fact that they would be expected to shun and disown me if I accepted a life saving blood transfusion. She was quite shocked that family would treat me that way. The other two nurses and my doctor about turned green when I said all my relatives were JW's, and I did not want the information shared with them, if I got a transfusion. They were very relieved when I said I wasn't a JW any more, and I had a good opportunity to discuss the blood issue and how members are treated for having a transfusion. I was pretty groggy, but I put out some info to at least four more medical professionals about this matter. Every little bit helps!

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Good for you virgochik!

I'm glad your surgery went well! Hope you're back on your feet soon!

GGG

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

Beside turning green what else did they have to say.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Glad you're on the road to recovery.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Good for you Virgo. At one of my wife's chemo transfusions a few weeks ago I got the chance to enlighten one md and several nurses about the jw's and their evil medical teachings.

Turned out one of the nurses sisters was married to a jw and there was a big family fight over his not wanting his wife to take a transfusion.

It turned into quite a discussion.

Outoftheorg

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

The admitting nurse was curious why I had a note flagged in the system, not to give out any info about me to anybody but my husband. I explained about my JW family and blood. She had heard of JW's but nothing about their position on blood. I filled her in! My surgeon was unaware that the Dubs had softened their stance to allow Hemopure or blood fractions. She basically felt that working with JW patients made a doctor's job more difficult, and couldn't understand refusal of a life saving treatment. The other two nurses were more upset by the shunning and disfellowshipping of a family member that could happen if someone had a transfusion. That really bothered them, that someone could actually be cut off from their family just for taking blood.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Hi virgochik!!

You might give the doctors and nurses a copy of Kerry Louderback-Wood's article, "JW's, Blood Transfusions and the Tort of Misrepresentation along with the Wacktower's Blood Brochure so they can see what the WTBT$ wrote; what Ms. louderback-Wood wrote and then they can look and see what the authors being quoted wrote. That way they can verify who the liars are.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Hey Virgochik, glad your surgery went well!! I hope you're feeling better and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Glad you got to talk to some medical professionals about the blood issue, too, I bet that was an interesting experience. Thanks for sharing it with us!!

-Becka :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit