We will never see holidays through a child's eyes

by MissBehave 12 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

See i had things slightly different. As a younger child i had all the celebrations but then as i got to about 8 or 9 i never celebrated it again till recently, my first family Christmas was last year with some friends and they make a huge effort for their own family and made me fit in well too. They got me presents and everything. The whole thing sort of goes over my head, i feel numb were most might feel excitement but slowly i hope and pray i get the feeling back.

I remember being in my Pyjamas in front of the tree, feeling happy at that time. The chances to do that again as a kid are gone but i swear if i get a family of my own i'll make these times so special.

• LDH
    LDH
    For those of you with children I'm sure it's rewarding for you to watch your own children have these experiences? Do you find that you go overboard with your kids to compensate for what you missed out on?)

1. extremely rewarding. as are watching both children do all of the other things we were denied, sports, music, friends, etc. It helps make up for a lot.

2. no. That's not the point, I don't want them to get spoiled rotten. They get plenty and that's enough.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

No, we will never know the joys of birthdays and Christmas and trick-or-treating or handing out Valentine's cards from a child's perspective. Not even God/Buddha/Allah/Higher Power himself/herself can change that. What is done is done.

BUT ...

This is one reason why Nina and I wanted children. A chance to prove to ourselves, and the ghosts of the past, that children can be raised with love, kindness and joy. We don't make the mistakes our parents made, we make brand new ones.

Yes we do enjoy seeing Jennie and Jackson's absolute delight at holiday celebrations (frankly I really don't care or want a Christmas present; watching them is really enough for me). The eager anticipation mixed with frustrated impatience is wonderful to see. And yes we probably do go overboard in giving presents, especially at Christmas.

But every celebration, every gift we give them, every laugh and smile, every squeal of delight at a long sought-after present, I will pause inside and give that moment to my inner child. He's my avatar. For all that he didn't get, and for all that was taken from him, I can give this. He won't get the joy of the present, but he does get the joy of the moment.

It's not much, but it's all that I have.

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit