Que, Sara, Sara

by finnrot 9 Replies latest jw friends

• finnrot
    finnrot

I seem to remember when I was a kid that the innocent song Que, Sara, Sara song sung by Doris Day was considered evil. I was a kid in the 1960's and I remembered that I thought that song was cool. But I seem to remember that it was hated by the Witnesses. The only reason I remember is because I asked my mom why the Witnesses banned that song.

Mom told me that it was because Doris Day sang "that will be will be". Mom told me that since Jehovah forteld in the bible what would happen in the future, that "what will be will be" is incorrect. Jehovah has fortold the future, Does anyone remember that??

At the time I was a kid in the 1960's. I was also into Bewitched. I used to love that show. I remember that Brandpe Zack was visiting us and I was watching that show. Grandpa Zack got off of the couch and left the room as soon as possible. I asked mom what the problem was and she told me that since it was about witchcraft, that the show would allow him to be deminized.

I'm not the smartest cog in the wheel, and I believed in this religion wholeheartedly, but I thought this was very weird behaviour. Even though I prayed to Jehovah every night, I still had this niggling feeling that this was all bullshit. I believed in this religion since I was raised in it, but I would never commit, by getting baptized.

I was a good Witness with my eyes on 1975. I never fully believed, but if I kept one foot inside, then maybe I could survive Armegeddeon. After 1975 came and went, I went wild and totallty left this horrrible cult.

As a kid I had my doubts about this cult, but after 1975 I was smart enough to get completely out. I don't know why anyone would have stayed in this cult after 1975.

I've talked to Witnesses that have joined since then and they either deny that 1975 happened, or they tow the company line by saying that some people got ahead of the "orginization"

My Uncle, who is an Elder in the Congo is totally untalkable, he relates every story to how I should be a Witness again. Their zeal is pathetic to me.

I wasn't particually a bright young man as I was growing up, but I never got baptized as a Witness because I always had my doubts abut this Cult.

-fin

• Brigid
    Brigid

Que, Sara, Sara song sung by Doris Day was considered evil

LOL! In my house it was Count Chocula, Frankenberrie and Booberry cereals.

~Brigid

• metatron
    metatron

It's "Que sera, sera"

What will be, will be.

metatron

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

You're not crazy. Although I didn't hear that myself, my wife talks about it all the time. She claims that she was counseled not to sing or even hum the song because it encourages fatalism and predestination.

• LDH
    LDH

Hey fin!

When I was about 8 or 9, my mom had talk #4 in the 'second' school. Yep, the talk was about predestination. I had to start the talk by 'polishing' the bookshelves with pledge and dusting them (this would be 'setting--doing chores at home' ) while singing this benign song.

Can you stand it.

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

LDH...I would love to someday hear your stories you have to tell...you are hilarious!

Axel

• toeup 420
    toeup 420

i was a witness who got on drugs i am now on parole and still using drugs i however do believe the witnesses and wish i could get back to talking with jehovah and living a better life by doing his will to the best of my ability i am having a hard time because unlike you i do believe and that makes it so much of a struggle because i cant understand why i would know the truth and not abide by it - but from reading what you wrote i think your mom and family did what they did with song and shows because satan is very tricky the most cunning of all and the father of the lie they dont want you or themselves to be subjected to any form of temptation no matter how silly it may seem we all are sinners and fall to temptations i have fallen and am seeking to get back up and even as much as i now how wrong it is to do drugs i want to use right now at this very moment thats how sneaky satan is he keeps me in temptation sometimes youll get tempted and not even know it those are the worst because thats when a song or show or drugs become more important than the truth...

• LDH
    LDH
    i was a witness who got on drugs i am now on parole and still using drugs

There's your first two problems.

wish i could get back to talking with jehovah

No one's stopping you. Jehovah doesn't live in Brooklyn, contrary to some people's opinion. Brooklyn doesn't have to approve of what you talk about in Prayer to your God. Alcoholics Anonymous says that everyone is entitled to believe in a GOD of their own understanding. You don't need to believe in the creation of the WBTS.

i am having a hard time because unlike you i do believe and that makes it so much of a struggle because i cant understand why i would know the truth and not abide by it

Two distinct possibilities here.

1. It is not the truth.

2. It is the truth, and you are just a weak minded sapsucker (this is what the JWs want you to believe.)

i think your mom and family did what they did with song and shows because satan is very tricky the most cunning of all and the father of the ;lie they dont want you ;or themselves to be subjected to any form of temptation no matter how silly it may seem

Does this perhaps remind you of all the "Laws" Jehovah gave to the Israelites to "prove" they could not keep them. Silly little rules about everything make it impossible to enforce and keep.

we all are sinners and fall to temptations

Speak for yourself, brother. We are all HUMANS. The biggest SINNER is God himself by not stepping in when he sees the tragedy his "creation" is enduring. Which is why most of us believe there is NO GOD. Because he gives a bigger shit about a song title than the 14 little African kids who will no doubt lose a limb to a land mine today.

have fallen and am seeking to get back up and even as much as i now how wrong it is to do drugs i want to use right now at this very moment thats how sneaky satan is he keeps me in temptation sometimes youll get tempted and not even know it those are the worst because thats when a song or show or drugs become more important than the truth

You are no different from any other human being that could EASILY take a path which is self destructive. "God" has no bearing on this issue. You do. You are the one forced to make a daily choice. This is not a comic book, there is no Super Hero who will come and rescue you.

Sorry to disappoint. But welcome to the board. Go get some help for your addiction disorder and be determined to do the hard work yourself instead of pinning it on an invisible little red man who sits on your shoulder.

Axel, I'm a real hoot in real life, too!

Lisa

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH
    I would love to someday hear your stories you have to tell...you are hilarious!

PS, and you know it's true cause you couldn't make this shit up.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

In my house it was the smurphes (sic). I remember when I was young my sister and I were watching Cinderella when a brother visited to sell us some sort of appliance. He saw us watching the movie and started going off on us, couple of kids, about how horrible the movie was because it had a fairy godmother who performed magic...ooooohhhhhhh!!!. We quickly turned it off, ashamed. That same brother was later DF'd for adultery and ended up Gay. Ha! guess he didn't mind fairys so much afterall (sorry to all the gay friends, I couldn't resist).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit