UPDATE: Man Sentenced to Church

by Saoirse 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

An update on the case states that he only went the Kingdom Hall once and then attended the other five services at a Christian church. I wonder if all the letters had an impact? The article goes on to state the the case generated interest from as far away as Germany and Great Britain.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Bloody Hell!!! Is this for real?

Have American Judges heard of the separation of Church & State?

It's one of the basic tenants of democracy over here.

And are Judges so nieve they think Church equates with goodness?

unclebruce

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Church and State are more and more fuddled every day over here in gool old America despite arguments to the contrary. Its scary.

Sherry

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think the judge did him a favour by not sending him to jail but instead to attend church services. Apparently this guy didn't like the JWs.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    Have American Judges heard of the separation of Church & State?

Sorry, the headline was a bit misleading and I should have given some background on the case.

The man was given a choice between 30 days in jail or attending a predominantly black church for 6 Sundays. The man chose to go to the church. Another article stated that the judge decided to offer the man the choice of attending church because he knew if this man was sent to jail he would probably just get involved with a racist group and would learn nothing from the situation. Since he was given a choice, I don't see a problem with it.

The only controversy I saw was that the man attended services at the Kingdom Hall of JWs. I believe it was mentioned that his lawyer may have had some JW ties. Several people, including myself, wrote to the judge to express our dismay over this man attending the KH. I don't know if our letters made a difference or if the man just decided that the KH sucked and didn't want to go back. Either way the outcome was good. Hopefully, he learned his lesson and will be more tolerant in the future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit