Reputations

by Honesty 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    Are they known as people who contribute and give back to the local community?

ROFLMAO

I spent the entire weekend working at a well-known local event that raises money for scholarships and community projects. Of the hundreds of volunteers present, I am almost 100% positive that there wasn't a single JW among them.

My husband told me that at one point during the day he spotted a trash can with dozens of Botchtowers and Awakes! in it. I questioned some people and it turns out that some JWs were spotted taking advantage of our charitable event to try and distribute their propaganda. I was appalled but not surprised.

Since anyone could have set up an information booth for a fee, the JW's methods were not appreciated and they were told to leave the premises immediately.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    My husband told me that at one point during the day he spotted a trash can with dozens of Botchtowers and Awakes! ;in it. ; I questioned some people and it turns out that some JWs ;were spotted taking advantage of ;our charitable event

LOL at Saoirse! ..They probably cleared a few out from under the bed and counted them as 'placements' ... mags ended up in the trash to harm no more - a win/win situation really Has my tollerance level gone down or are the mags getting even more sickly sweet?

They know I'm a spiritualist and ask questions that they can never answer but still they pop round and give me some mags, which I happily accept.

Good on you Clam

and you're into spiritualism - truly interesting stuff.

cheers, unc

• slugga
    slugga

I live in London (Though its not included in the area list on this site ) Dubs are pretty much invisible here. The only time you'll see or hear anything about them is during the District convention season when the local news will sometimes run a story on the big meetup.

I live just 10 minutes walk from a kingdumb hell yet I've not sen a dub doing the doors in over 8 yrs.

• luna2
    luna2

Around here they are tolerated...mostly. The town I used to live in (and still work in) has banned their door to door work. The only time any witnessy activity takes place there is if a call or study moves into the area or if the dubs who live there manage to start up a study with a neighbor. They used to love to stop and "say hello" to me at work. I hated it. Hello, working here! I knew they were just padding their time. Of course, when I became inactive I'm sure they felt that I was a bona fied "call".

They will occassionally get very daring and do supermarket parking lot witnessing in that town (the one they are banned in). They've been told they are on private property and that the store absolutely doesn't want them there bothering their customers, but they are doing Jebooboo's sacred work so they don't have to obey anything they don't feel like obeying, doncha know. It's such a cool way to dump place dozens of magazines in under a half an hour and pad their time slips that they can't resist. They dragged me to this fun fest of covert rag placement once. It was sort of an epiphany for me at the time...first time I ever outright refused to participate in any dubby activity.

So, their rep in this area is mixed. They made a number of enemies when they built the new KH several years ago, but I don't know if their neighbors are still upset about that or not. Its not like they have any congregation picnics, ice cream socials or rummage sales that make lot of noise or anything.

As for giving back to the community? Hahahahahahah!!! Oh yeah, sure. Dubs, as a group, do nothing charitable for anybody else. If there is the possibility of a convert...then they might love bomb such to death on an individual basis. Such love-bombing may include driving those without cars to appointments, buying groceries or clothing for especially needy potentials, and doing errands and such. If the study doesn't progress, of course, they usually drop them like a hot potato.

• Ellie
    Ellie

I don't know to be honest, but whenever I mention to anyone that my family are witnesses, after they have gathered that I'm not, they usually mention the blood issue or just sort of smirk as if to say "Nutters".

They do a lot of ministry round here too, the territory is quite big but they seem to be in my street about once a month, but I just don't think people care that much.

However, a few of my friends know my family from school and their opinions are non too high.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

I work with my local community groups. (we do clean-ups graffti abatement, greenspaces, etc.. ) I know that Dub's live in the same city i do but they are too busy pretending to knock on doors to actually make the world a better place.

• anewme
    anewme

Once I was talking to a woman about my beliefs and we talked about Jehovahs Witnesses and at the appropriate time I asked her if she would ever consider studying the Bible to learn more about us.

"Why would I ever want to join a religion that everyone HATES?" was her response.

That ended the conversation and I left pretty shocked. But over the years her words have rung out in my ears and now makes alot of sense.

• slugga
    slugga
    The town I used to live in (and still work in) has banned their door to door work.

Is that legal? Can you fill us in on more detail?

Dubs love that sort of persecution, why aren't they out doing door to door in spite of the ban?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

They have a reputation as "doing a good work" but being misled here. They are known for (1) using Jehovah's name, (2) preaching door to door, (3) peddling Watchtower, (4) refusing blood—which is technically not true, and (5) shunning family.

John 13:34, 35 records Jesus as saying EVERYONE would know his disciples by the love they had among themselves. On this score they certainly have failed to measure up. They do not have the reputation of being loving. If anything, "inconsiderate arrogance" marks them more in the public's mind in this region.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• luna2
    luna2
    Is that legal? Can you fill us in on more detail?

slugga, all I know about it is what other dubs told me....that they don't go door to door in that town as a general rule. The impression I got was that there was some sort of city ordinance or something and that if they were reported to or seen by the police, they'd be asked to cease their activities. If they refused, they could be arrested.

I think that occassionally some adventurous dubs with romantic notions of suffering for Jehoohaa do go there to work a neighborhood or two probably hoping they will get approached by the police. As I type this, more of the discussion is coming back to me. lol The elder in the car suggested that because my family ran a business in town, he would understand my not wanting to join such a car group because it might be embarrasing for my non-dub father if I got arrested. At the time, I was so grateful for his understanding. Gawd, I was such a stupid git.

Anyhow, since I don't talk to any JWs at all any more, I'd have to see if I could find out from Townhall what the exact story is. It could be they've done an across-the-board ban of all door to door activity there so that they aren't singling out just the witnoids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit