Is it right for a JW to enjoy his/her job???

by Gill 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

Well! Should you enjoy your job and be happy doing it?

What might the WTBTS think of this? Shall we find out in the April 15, Watchtower.

How Can you Make Decisions God's Way? page 16 has this to say:

HAVE A LONG RANGE VIEW

Apart from Bible principles and the conscience of others, what may we consider when making decisions? Though the path of Christians is rugged and narrow, God gives them much leeway withing his set limits. We need to consider how our decisions will affect our spritual, mental, emotional and physical well-being in the future.

Suppose you were thinking of accepting a job. Perhaps there is nothing immoral or inappropriate about the nature of the work. You will be able to attend Christian meetings and conventions. The paycheck will be more that you ever expected. The employer values your skill very highly and wants to used you to the fullest. Besides, you like the type of work involved. Should anything hold you back from accepting the offer? Well, what if you forsee the possibility of your falling in love with the work. You are told that you would not be forced to work overtime. But to finish a project, would your be willing to push yourself more than you should? Might such overtime become frequent? Could that take you away from your family and eventually from spiritual activities you definitely should not miss?

Consider how Jim made a major decision about his employment. He worked tirelessly and moved up the corporate ladeer. Eventually he became the managing director of his company in the Orient, the chief executive officer of its affiliate in the United States and a member of the board of directors of its European operations. When there was an economic downturn in Japan, however, he realized how futile it was to pursue money and power. His hard earned money quickly disappeared. He lost direction in his life. 'What will I be doing in ten years from now?' he asked himself. Then he realized that his wife and children were focused on more meaningful goals in life. Over the years, they had been associating with Jehovah's Witnesses. Jim wanted to share the happiness and contentment his family enjoyed. So he started to study the Bible.

Soon Jim could see that his lifestyle hindered him from leading a purposeful life as a christian. Constantly traveling between Asia, and the United States, and Europe, he did not have enough time to study the Bible and associate with fellow believers. He faced a decision: 'Will I continue to lead the life I have lived for the past 50 years, or will I pursue a new way of life?' He prayerfully considered the long range effect of his decision and decided to quit all his jobs except one so that he would have time for spiritual pursuits. (1Tim 6:6-6) His decision made him happier, giving him the opportunity to be vusy with christian activities.

Be they major or trivial, your decisions matter. A decision you make today may mean the difference between success and failure, even life and death in the future........'

So, poor old Jim, is the thought I was left with. And poor old 'any JW'! How do you decide what line of work to go into when you are left with that many problems and conundrums to consider before you take any step.

Heaven forbid any of us actually gets to enjoy our line of work! That really would be sinning!!

• serendipity
    serendipity

I don't have the article, but I do have to point out something. Many men, and increasing numbers of women, are workaholics and prefer to work rather than go home to take care of their children. Many men I work with will admit to this, because they don't want to deal with the chaos and noise at home.

From that perspective, people need to be balanced and attend to their necessary responsibilities outside of work. Caution is in order. Of course, JWs describe necessary responsibilities differently than most.

• atypical
    atypical

All my life I heard: "Anything that becomes more important than the truth is an idol, and you are an idolator."

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Have not got my CD-ROM with me but I will quote from Proverbs that there is nothing finer that a mans sees good for his hard work - of course a Christain or JW should enjoy his job and not feel guilty about it

• Room 215
    Room 215

By railing against higher education, they virtually guarantee that anyone who takes this delusional advice seriously will be deprived of any choice in the matter, and will likely wind up with a slavish, low-paying job he/she will come to detest.

It's the only religion I know of that makes virtues of fiscal irresponsibility and underachievement.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    It's the only religion I know of that makes virtues of fiscal irresponsibility and underachievement

Exactly, they cant allow their members to develop self asteem through achievement unless it is in the ministry serving their purpose; heaven forbid that anyone should get a great job and enjoy it.

With a low self asteem however people are vulnerable to their mind control tactics.

DB74

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Consider how Jim made a major decision about his employment. He worked tirelessly and moved up the corporate ladeer. Eventually he became the managing director of his company in the Orient, the chief executive officer of its affiliate in the United States and a member of the board of directors of its European operations. When there was an economic downturn in Japan, however, he realized how futile it was to pursue money and power. His hard earned money quickly disappeared. He lost direction in his life. 'What will I be doing in ten years from now?' he asked himself. Then he realized that his wife and children were focused on more meaningful goals in life. Over the years, they had been associating with Jehovah's Witnesses. Jim wanted to share the happiness and contentment his family enjoyed. So he started to study the Bible.

Thats the biggest pile of shyte I have read in ages.

Loosely translated this means....Jim was in a great job, he got laid off because of downsizing...Jim gave up on himself and couldnt be arsed anymore so instead of becoming a management consultant he decided to do something which didnt put him in the spotlight in terms of performance;....well he got that wrong didnt he?

DB74

• Gill
    Gill

Exactly DB! It's the purest form of BS!

What did Jim's wife think when she could no longer drive her lovely Merc, get her hair done every week, go to the gym, spend an 'appropriate amount of time' peddling the Botchtower and Awake?! Did she have to take up some kind of menial job to be able to afford to live? Did she see her husband's pension that they were depending on for the future, disappear into nothing, and on the horizon, an old age of struggling to make ends meet appear.

Jim's self esteem must have disappeared the day he bought into the WTBTS fantasy and then he really DID lose EVERYTHING!

• greendawn
    greendawn

The dubs can't enjoy anything because whatever they do the Devil will be there trying to lead them out of the path of the truth and etrnal life there are temptations everywhere. Only that the WTS is not and never was the way of the truth and eternal life.

• ferret
    ferret

There is an old saying:" that he/she who enjoys their job will never work a day of their life."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit