Silent Roar

by silentlambs 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• waiting
    waiting
    Much like the recent settlement in California, we would like to see three basic requests honored by WT.

1. A video taped apology to all victims to be played at all congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

2. A written statement in the form of a letter to be read to all congregations. If you are molested go to the authorities first.

3. Anyone who has ever molested a child should be forbidden to go out in field ministry for life.

Before I scream, may I ask who will do the phrasing of the video taped apology? Who will choose the words for the letter to be read to all congergation? Who chooses to discern who is a molester - the victim, the elders, or the police?

I received an apology through the CO for the elders handling my daughter's victimization at the hands of a MS. "They were stupid," he said. I demanded an apology in writing for their stupidity. Laughingly, the CO said "And hell might freeze over." (paraphrasing that one, btw.)

However, I received an apology from the head of the Committee, written on a 3x5 yellow index card:

"Dear Sister M................,

We're sorry that you feel bad about your daughter being disfellowshipped.

Sincerly,
    Elders of S......................Congregation"

Apologies are beneficial for victims for 2 reasons imho: 1 It makes the abuser openly admit what he did. 2 He might even be sorry.

I personally don't think the apology crap is of any legitimate value - I feel it would be worded in a way as to construe ignorance instead of taking responsibility for actions. As for it being played in the KH's -- big deal. A good proportion of victims have left. How will they hear this video-taped apology?

Btw, there is nothing in these 3 statements that the elders will do anymore than they're already doing - calling the Society to see if they're in a state which mandates reporting. Maximus has posted other churchs' outlines which say......"report to the police." Why is this missing?

As my daughter said when I told her about all this: "What good will it do me? Perhaps another child......." And maybe that's the answer.....perhaps another child.

But as for the previous victims? What actual good will it do them? Very little, imho. I am a victim/survivor, and the mother of a victim/survivor - I can speak these words.

waiting

• Ray Skyhorse
    Ray Skyhorse

[q]
    1. A video taped apology to all victims to be played at all congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

2. A written statement in the form of a letter to be read to all congregations. If you are molested go to the authorities first.

3. Anyone who has ever molested a child should be forbidden to go out in field ministry for life.
    [/q]

With all due respect, Bill, I don't think those things go far enough. In my opinion, based on what has occurred with the Catholic Church case in California (see http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=10421&site=3 )I think the terms of settling a civil court case should go further.

The Archdiocese in L.A. and Orange counties made this pre-trial settlement:

-Removal of priests who molest children

- The establishment of an 800 number and a Web site to allow for child-abuse complaints to be submitted anonymously

- The distribution of an informational pamphlet on sexual abuse;

- The reporting of child sexual abuse to the archbishop

- A no-fraternization policy

- Assistance to sexual-abuse victims

- A procedure under which clergy will sign an agreement to be bound by the provisions of the "Archdiocesan Policy on Sexual Abuse by Clergy."

- The reporting to civil authorities of child sexual abuse by clergy

- Check-and-balance procedures involving reviews of Catholic school principals

- The introduction of an exit-interview procedure for use with seminarians who leave prior to ordination

- The maintenance of personnel files, each of which will include information on where additional data about an employee may be obtained.

The JWs are multibillion dollar corporation(s). Once they start losing a few jury trials resulting in multi-million dollar verdicts they will begin to make significant concessions to their victims. They'll act just like the Catholics. I really think they need a website and and an 800 number for their victims. The website should be part of their main website and be transparent or monitored by a third party. They should post their apology on the website. The wording for any apology to the victim should be agreed upon by the Society and the victim prior to the ink being dryed.

I'd also like to encourage people reading my posting to write to their state legislators to adopt a "no-gag rule" in child abuse cases regarding the terms of settlement. The RC Church and other religious organizations have been hiding behind the no gag rule for too long! I think the settlement terms of a lawsuit should always be a matter of public record whenever child abuse/molestation is alleged. I think legislatures do a disservice to the public by allowing plaintiffs and defendants to enter into private agreements when child abuse is alleged. Letting child molesters and institutions hide behind a gag rule in child abuse cases only promotes further molestations. The victim may be financially compensated but it does nothing to promote public safety. One the contrary, it promotes abuse. So, please, take a few minutes and let your state legislators know what you think!

Peace,
    Ray Skyhorse

The only thing evil needs to succeed is for good people to do nothing. Bill, your my hero!

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Ray,

You said much more eloguently what I was feeling at the time of my post. Thank you. I think I was just stunned a little. Your inclusive post explained what can hopefully be accomplished - and needs to be accomplished.

The only thing evil needs to succeed is for good people to do nothing. Bill, your my hero!

I concur completely.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit