What are the currently acceptable alternatives to blood transfusions?

by Virgochik 4 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Anyone with a medical background, or latest info, please help! I have to have surgery in a few days, and I have signed a consent for a blood transfusion My doctor thinks it's likely I'll need one. In case my relatives question me (a fader) or my non-Dub husband, what could I tell them I accepted? I know it's wimpy of me, but I don't want to be estranged from my relatives! We will duck and dodge any hard questions, but just in case...any help is appreciated. By the way, the surgery is a hysterectomy, with a low blood count to begin with. My doctor would rather transfuse, than wait another risky month of blood loss.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Albumin is always a good answer. Look about 1/3 of the way down on this page at the chart for a grouping of acceptable blood fractions that JWs will allow to be administered to themselves: http://www.ajwrb.org/index.shtml

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Sam,

Thank you so very much! I should be able to satisfy any questions now!

• davidsf
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

This is from the cancer site: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_1_4X_Alternatives_To_Blood_Transfusion.asp?sitearea=ETO

"Alternatives To Blood Transfusion
    Because the blood transfusions carry risks and because the blood supply is limited, doctors try not to transfuse when possible. In some cases, alternatives to blood product transfusions may be available.
    Volume expanders: When a patient has lost a lot of body fluids but does not need red blood cells or other specific blood components, volume expanders may be given to prevent or treat shock caused by fluid loss. The most common volume expanders are normal saline (salt water) and lactated Ringer’s solution (saline plus additional chemicals). Other volume expanders include albumin, hydroxyethyl starch (HES), dextrans, and purified protein fractions (PPF)."

There are no alternatives for red blood cells, as these are the only thing that successfully carry oxygen. The alternatives are "volume expanders". Watchtower provided information speaks regularly about Ringers solution so that would be a great name to drop that the elders will nod and say 'good' to. Check with your doctor, he may have a particular volume expander on hand to use as it is safer than blood, so ask him what it may be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit