Death to the Pixies: A few questions, just for you...

by AuldSoul 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    With them they had no religious contact or communion

I do dispute the comment. The Ethiopian eunuch was a proselyte who had just come from "worshipping at Jerusalem." It was impossible to have a proeslyte from among Gentiles without having religious contact with them. Jesus noted that the Pharisees would traverse dry land and sea to make one proselyte—from among people who were Gentiles.

Paul walked among the temples of Athens and went into Jewish synagogues and temples on many occasions to preach to and reason with those present.

I very much disagree with Barnes' quote, so you imagined incorrectly. There are direct statements that contradict Barnes, both in the Bible and in other writing of the period.

Death to the Pixies: was exegeting based on the context of Jesus' words

Jesus did not indicate secretly taking the matter before certain officials who would deal with it privately. If JWs "exgesis" led them to that conclusion would you disagree they are completely in error on the point? You seem to be inferring that their method is modeled after the Jewish system when such an inference is—quite frankly—a load of dingo's kidneys.

What you are failing to do is substantiate that the JW practice is derived from the Jewish practice in any respect, and you have not made a case for their method being Scriptural—you have made a beautiful case for their method being in harmony with Barnes opinion, which often directly contradicts the Bible (as in this case).

Would you further agree that nothing in the NT indicates resolving wrongdoing in that manner, from the death of Ananias and Saphira to Paul correcting Peter for separating from the Gentiles? If not, I daresay you have announced a compromise prematurely. While you claim I am arguing from silence, I am actually arguing from the incredible weight of evidence that wrongdoing was handled publicly by whoever happened to witness it or was motivated to correct it versus the complete lack of evidence that it was handled in private or that only a few select were qualified to do so. Galatians 6:1 refers, not to elders but, to anyone who considered themselves spiritually qualified to do so.

Since the JWs choose only the private method and do not use the public method, I would say you need yet to substantiate their method as being a Scriptural one. Any NT example will do. I can list you a dozen public ones, can you list even one secret one or one place where secrecy was instructed?

Death to the Pixies: I do not dispute the phrase "before". I dispute your meaning poured into the phrase. You appeal to the Greek for no reason really, as one can "rebuke" "In the presense of others" in the JW sense.

I certainly dispute that I was putting meaning into the word. Perhaps you have never studied out the other contexts in which this word is used in the NT? I am deriving the identical meaning from the word as that arrived at by Greek scholars. The fact that the rebuke is to be given "before" witnesses and for the purpose of causing them to understand what conduct was wrong and why.

Ephesians 5:11-13 makes the point perfectly clear. The purpose of reproof was specifically to expose wrong conduct to the light.

According to Thayer's Lexicon, the usage in 1 Timothy 5:20 is specifically "to find fault with, correct" and more specifically, "by word." I heartily disagree with your casual treatment of this instruction and to your overly cursory examination of the words used. There is no way the JW method meets the standard of "elegche" (the actual word used in this case).

Another translation may help you understand.

(BBE) Say sharp words to sinners when all are present, so that the rest may be in fear.
    (YLT) Those sinning, reprove before all, that the others also may have fear;
    (NIV) Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning.
    (KJV) Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.
    (ASV) Them that sin reprove in the sight of all, that the rest also may be in fear.

Just because they have planted something in your head does not make it so. A brief announcement during the Service Meeting does not constitute "reproof" or a "rebuke" in the sense of "elegcho" as used in the NT. I think it is rather silly of you to contend that there is even a scant possibility this would not include revealing the wrong committed, given the other uses of the expression "elegcho" and its variants in the Bible. The concept of "revealing" is an integral part of the word itself.

Of this word:

Friberg's: (1) in the NT, gener. as showing someone that he has done someth. wrong and summoning him to repent bring to light, expose (JN 3.20); convince, convict (JA 2.9); (2) in the sense of setting right reprove, correct (1T 5.20); in an intensified sense rebuke, discipline, punish (HE 12.5).
    UBS Lexicon: show (someone his) fault or error, convince (someone) of (his) fault or error; show (something) up for what it is; prove guilty, condemn; rebuke, reprove

Combining what I know of 1 Timothy 5:20 with what I read of the examples provided in the NT of correcting wrongdoing, I don't really see how I could believe anything other than public correction is being described in that verse. Please explain under what theory you arrive at a justification of the JW method from this (or any other) verse.

Death to the Pixies: No-one has an authority in this case.

Beautiful! We have a point of agreement and Scriptural support.

Philippians 2:1-4—If, then, there is any encouragement in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any sharing of spirit, if any tender affections and compassions, 2 make my joy full in that YOU are of the same mind and have the same love, being joined together in soul, holding the one thought in mind, 3 doing nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with lowliness of mind considering that the others are superior to YOU, 4 keeping an eye, not in personal interest upon just YOUR own matters, but also in personal interest upon those of the others.

So if my "Boss" is Christ which of my "co-workers", i.e. Christ's brothers, is more equal than me and why? Was this written to the whole congregation or just to those beneath the others?

Death to the Pixies: You still have not forwarded an argument on what a reasonable expectation of recieved knowledge in this Post-apostolic time is, or for any time for that matter. The job could still be done without a full revelation/identification in place. Since you are just giving opinion, I have little to reply to.

I never attempted to make an argument for a particular method or against another method. If you read that into my reply you must have misunderstood the specific context I placed my remarks in. You denied the relevance of the 2nd question, I only attempted to establish the relevance of the second question. I do not have to have an alternate method that I am actively proposing for you to be capable of answering for a religion's teachings, do I?

You have declined to answer a very relevant question, and I think many people here understand exactly why the question is relevant. That you do not seem to grasp why it is an important question (especially in the context of my reply) indicates that you are still very much enthralled by their baseless dogma "'changing light' = 'brighter light'". Let me try rephrasing the question into two questions:

In 2006, Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus chose the fledgling Bible Students as his representives on earth.

In 2006, they teach that the anointed at any given period of time comprise a class of people through whom (as a class) God communicates as his sole channel of communication to all mankind.

(1) Is it possible for me to be part of God's sole Channel of communication to all mankind without even knowing it and why do you so answer?

(2) If the true anointed have always been God's sole Channel of communication to all mankind, why did Jesus need to inspect all religions that claimed to be Christian in order to find the anointed and why would he need to choose them (persons who already were his brothers, adopted sons of God) in 1919 as his representatives?

If that helps you to understand the relevance, I am glad we cleared that up. Again, this thread was not for me to espouse my views, but an opportunity for you to support their views (if possible) from the Scriptures. So far, I hope every lurker who is currently a JW is reading this thread.

Not to distract from the necessity imposed by these two unanswered question, I will put forward a perfectly workable solution to the problem of communication from God.

John 14:15-17, 26—“If YOU love me, YOU will observe my commandments; 16 and I will request the Father and he will give YOU another helper to be with YOU forever, 17 the spirit of the truth, which the world cannot receive, because it neither beholds it nor knows it. YOU know it, because it remains with YOU and is in YOU...26 But the helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach YOU all things and bring back to YOUR minds all the things I told YOU."
    John 16:7, 12-16—"Nevertheless, I am telling YOU the truth, It is for YOUR benefit I am going away. For if I do not go away, the helper will by no means come to YOU; but if I do go my way, I will send him to YOU...12 I have many things yet to say to YOU, but YOU are not able to bear them at present. 13 However, when that one arrives, the spirit of the truth, he will guide YOU into all the truth, for he will not speak of his own impulse, but what things he hears he will speak, and he will declare to YOU the things coming. 14 That one will glorify me, because he will receive from what is mine and will declare it to YOU. 15 All the things that the Father has are mine. That is why I said he receives from what is mine and declares [it] to YOU. 16 In a little while YOU will behold me no longer, and, again, in a little while YOU will see me.”
    1 John 2:26-29—These things I write YOU about those who are trying to mislead YOU. 27 And as for YOU, the anointing that YOU received from him remains in YOU, and YOU do not need anyone to be teaching YOU; but, as the anointing from him is teaching YOU about all things, and is true and is no lie, and just as it has taught YOU, remain in union with him. 28 So now, little children, remain in union with him, that when he is made manifest we may have freeness of speech and not be shamed away from him at his presence. 29 If YOU know that he is righteous, YOU gain the knowledge that everyone who practices righteousness has been born from him.

I say the spirit can work on individuals directly without need of a human organization. Of course, my viewpoint is based directly on what the Scriptures state while you claim I argue from silence, whereas your view is based on a human Corporation's re-interpretation of Scripture (in 1918 and again in 1952) that conveniently allowed them to maintain stranglehold authority they could not have otherwise enjoyed.

My view won't change tomorrow, but if Jehovah's Witnesses suddenly announced that Theo Jaracz is the Faithful and Discreet Slave they would expect adherents to at the very least pretend to believe it. I have great freeness of speech, do you?

For instance, is there any reason why you might not want someone reading through the things you have posted here? If so, why?

What authority they claim does not actually resonate with you, otherwise why would you be here? Something feels wrong about their exercise of authority to every single JW and JW apologist that comes to this forum—even if they only come to read.

The fact is, J.F. Rutherford wrested control of the company from those Russell left in charge and the core of individuals who pulled off the coup have been the ones to authorize ALL "authority" in the organization that has been handed down ever since. The Faithful and Discreet Slave (as currently identified) have no authority over anyone or anything.

I hope you choose to answer these two questions.

(1) Is it possible for me to be part of God's sole Channel of communication to all mankind without even knowing it and why do you so answer?

(2) If the true anointed have always been God's sole Channel of communication to all mankind, why did Jesus need to inspect all religions that claimed to be Christian in order to find the anointed and why would he need to choose them (persons who already were his brothers and already were adopted sons of God) in 1919 as his representatives?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I noticed you were back among us, Death to the Pixies, and thought you might like to continue where we left off.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies
    I do dispute the comment. The Ethiopian eunuch was a proselyte who had just come from "worshipping at Jerusalem." It was impossible to have a proeslyte from among Gentiles without having religious contact with them. Jesus noted that the Pharisees would traverse dry land and sea to make one proselyte—from among people who were Gentiles.

Paul walked among the temples of Athens and went into Jewish synagogues and temples on many occasions to preach to and reason with those present.

Reply: You should not really be disputing this comment bro. It is a tad argumentative to do so, and it is contextually strained . Jesus is discussing how to treat an unrepentent brother. This is the back-drop to treating the man as a "publican" and a "tax collector". Looking for exceptions when Jesus is speaking in general is improper. In your view, one could worship with a Non-believer? This is how we are to treat an unreprentent sinner? This voids any hope of counsel derived from Jesus' words and leaves us with a non-statement. I could go to the Talmud and other Jewish sources which make expiclit what the act of "removing the wicked" meant to them, but I think it will have little impact, and maybe rightfully so.

And the examples you give are not "religious contact" :>) At least not in the sense spoken of by Barnes , myself and nearly every commentator. (I can cite many more) The Ethopian Eunuch was a Gentile worshiper of YHWH, not the non-believing "in general" Gentile Jesus was making comparison to. You can't make these mistakes, you have to clean that up if I may politely, but firmly say that. You actually quote Christians preaching Christ to non-believers as a supposed parrallel! I felt you should have conceded this point, religious contact, that is worshipping alongside and with a non-believer was an unacceptable practice amongst Jews. They were to have no "religious contact", which ties in to your queston you asked of me rather nicely. As I implied previously, I am willing to leave the dogmatism alone in your specific case.

I was willing to budge on the Privateness of the JC, but I question it's relevence in todays Society, and the supposed mandate to have it done that way, as there is none for the Christian congregation. Not that your way alleviates any problems, but rather only magnifies them to embarrassing (for the accused) heights. You reject my compromise but do not give any reason why, but instead continue to argue against the part I was willing to budge on!

I certainly dispute that I was putting meaning into the word. Perhaps you have never studied out the other contexts in which this word is used in the NT? I am deriving the identical meaning from the word as that arrived at by Greek scholars. The fact that the rebuke is to be given "before" witnesses and for the purpose of causing them to understand what conduct was wrong and why.

Reply: If the context requires so by grammar and construction for it to be understood that way, then that is what we need from your "non-cursory study" of "elegcho", ie..If Paul said to reprove, and try before all on-lookers, that is decided by context, not lexical meaning, the fact you are trying to get to your conclusion based on the meaning of "elegcho" is odd. You go on to quote different translations which say the exact same thing as my translation, so you wasted some space there. Sorry, but Jws do rebuke before Witnesses, so I just cannot see how you feel you have made a point here with the defintion of the word. A Public reproof in JW-land is done because people were privy to the offense, they see the person rebuked "publicly", they now have a fear of committing the same offense.

You went on to attempt to give a overview of how knowledge is recieved ,even though the context was infallibilty and perfect revelation of truth, something that even the most direct recipients of the scriptures below did not even have BTW. So this hardly addresses the point, even so we continue:

Not to distract from the necessity imposed by these two unanswered question, I will put forward a perfectly workable solution to the problem of communication from God.
    John 14:15-17,26

John 16:7,12-16

1 John 2:26-29

Reply: John is writing Christians collectively (the plural "YOU" both in NWT and ALT) and shows that they (plural) do not need anyone teaching them because the spirit will do so. This does not disagree with the unity speeches of Paul and the methods the group as whole use to achieve a forward unity that results into a grown man. This does not disagree with my interp of the scrips in my last post. Actually, if the Body "grows into a mature Man" that implies growing pains and adjusting/correcting the body in various ways.. I did indeed answer questions 1 and 2 (2 being being a needles repetetion), I obviously see no conflict, I just disagree with your opinions on this. You have not proven otherwise I might add. You went on to ask even more questions, but given the fact you completely ignored the only direct question I asked of you (Hebrews 13 and who does it apply to to you) I have grown weary of continuing in this manner.

I will give you the last word here, but hey, we kinda came to an agreement on one point, and this better than most discussions of these nature. I do think you need to re-examine the bulk of your arguement, but that is just my opinion, as always feel free to disregard.

Thanks for the discussion,

Lynn.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    "The Jews gave the name heathen or Gentile to all other nations but themselves. With them they had no religious contact or communion"

This is the quote, in full. I disagree and, in my opinion, any disagreement is by definition argumentative. I disagree with this specific statement you quoted because it is untrue, and provably so. For any Gentile to become a worshipper of YHWH required contact of a religious nature, surely you can see that. Do you imagine the Ethiopian eunuch was a born believer according to the Mosaic Law?

I cited Jesus comment regarding the Pharisaical penchant for traversing sea and dry land to make one proselyte. You chose not to comment to that at all. There is no possible way proselytization is free from "religious contact" and your argument to authority is baseless since the primary text Barnes claims to expound upon contains direct contradiction to his statement. "Religious contact" does not mean "interfaith worship."

While you state (without substantiation) that "nearly all commentators agree" with your assessment of "religious contact" I state that you cannot cite any instance of a single authority who suggests that this is the appropriate understanding of religious contact as opposed to communion. It would be needlessly redundant to say "religious contact or communion" if "religious contact" means what you suggest it means. "Communion" is the term that would carry the connotation you apply to "religious contact."

Not that your way alleviates any problems, but rather only magnifies them to embarrassing (for the accused) heights. You reject my compromise but do not give any reason why, but instead continue to argue against the part I was willing to budge on!

Let me use my case as an example for this discussion. Perhaps then you can see why a budge is not all that is needed on your part or on the part of Jehovah's Witnesses. If I am publicly accused and can speak in my own behalf to the charges publicly, what is the effect? Embarrassment? Possibly. An deservedly so if I have done something shameful.

Who is served, though, if the accused REQUESTS a public hearing and REQUESTS recording of the proceedings but is denied such request? This was the case with myself. I DID NOT WANT a private trial, one was forced upon me. Now, to my mind, if the accused does NOT seek privacy and specifically REQUESTS public hearing you need to come up with a Scriptural reason for denying that request.

In my case, I am certain it would not be me who would be embarrassed by a public accounting. Who is trying to save face and from what? Who is seeking protection and from what? More than budging is required of you. If I ASK for things to be handled the way the Bible directs, please show cause for that request being procedurally denied.

Your repeated naming of the JW practice as public reproof is getting comical. When an announcement is read to the congregation that so-and-so has been reproved but there is no disclosure of what they did wrong, where is there any warning for others against the wrong course? I agree that the context is critical for understanding this instance of elegcho, but I fail to see any warning that can be reasonably derived from a generic announcement that reproof for some unnamed something has occurred (past tense). The sense in which elegcho is used cannot possibly be accounted for as an announcement of a prior decision reached in private, and the context clarifies that this view is impossible as an exegesis.

Regarding your handling of John, the plural YOU refers to a collection of individuals. Each severally is addressed collectively as one group. The fact that no distinction is present between one or another is added evidence that it referred to each individual. Add to this that the source of the teaching was the "anointing that is in YOU" which cannot possibly be understood as a collective anointing.

I did not mean to ignore your question about Hebrews 13. I apologize. Those taking the lead do not serve as a replacement or stand-in for our personal accountability, do they? If they truly answer for our souls in the sense that we are obliged to obey them where their will conflicts with our consciences then why has anyone abandoned Catholicism? AHHHH! The APOSTASY!

And why should I believe we are not still in its throes?

By your own argument, you should be obediaent to whatever organization can demonstrate the most historical authority. I don't believe that is what Paul meant, do you? Or, if we dispense with that, the mere claim of leadership becomes enough to create authority which MUST be submitted to, especially if said authority claims that the Apostasy is over. Or, if we dispense with that, we are left with being led along by Holy Spirit which was to be an unfailing guide even in the midst of the Apostasy.

What reason do I have for crediting every authority that raises itself over me as having legitimate claim to that authority? Especially when it takes decades to sort out exactly what the authority is, who wields the authority, and then promptly subverts its stated system of authority by removing all authority from it?

"Those taking the lead" in the early christian congregation would have been the Bishops and Deacons of the Church, right? And the Apostles, right? The Catholic Church would have me believe that they are taking the lead. The Episcopal Church would have me believe they are taking the lead. The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints would have me believe it is them. On what basis shoudl I yield to Jehovah's Witnesses authority and not to these others? Because I was born into a JW family?

I am sure you can see that is not a rational basis for such a decision. So how would you have me decide which claim to authority is legitimate? I've only just recently left one of them, how can I have decided yet to which I will yield?

But mostly, I am pained by the one question you repeatedly refused to answer from my initial post. I know why you really chose not to answer it. And that is my answer to your inference that Hebrews 13 should apply to the lead of Jehovah's Witnesses. You can't establish that your religion has any authority, you can't demonstrate that they are legitimately taking the lead. It was this unanswered question that caused me to bypass yours, since "those taking the lead" have not been identified by you as yet.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• TheListener
    TheListener

Nice to see you getting into the swing of things again buddy.

• LiveLife
    LiveLife

Death to the Pixies,

But mostly, I am pained by the one question you repeatedly refused to answer from my initial post. I know why you really chose not to answer it. And that is my answer to your inference that Hebrews 13 should apply to the lead of Jehovah's Witnesses. You can't establish that your religion has any authority, you can't demonstrate that they are legitimately taking the lead. It was this unanswered question that caused me to bypass yours, since "those taking the lead" have not been identified by you as yet.

March 2006 ... and you have yet to Scripturally identify "those taking the lead".

Why is it taking so long? My suspicion is that you have no answer to the question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit