What would happen if I asked Brooklyn for this?

by MinisterAmos 11 Replies latest jw friends

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I want a copy of the "X-Mas" issue of the Golden Age; the issue that describes that Dubs can practice XMas, but I need the actual paper maybe with a note on dub stationary that it is an actual copy.

It's easy to find the text on-line, but I have yet to find a hard copy in a KH library.

What will Brooklyn do if I ask for one? I'm serious because I made this claim and now I can't prove it.

• Chimene
    Chimene

If you look at the thread Atlantis started with the subject Documents Volume 1, there is a picture in there of them celebrating Christmas at Bethel. I didn't have time to look at all the documents though, you might want to check that out

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

I want a copy of the "X-Mas" issue of the Golden Age; the issue that describes that Dubs can practice XMas, but I need the actual paper maybe with a note on dub stationary that it is an actual copy.

It's easy to find the text on-line, but I have yet to find a hard copy in a KH library.

What will Brooklyn do if I ask for one? ; I'm serious because I made this claim and now I can't prove it.

Hmm, sounds like it's worth a shot, though they might deny that JWs were ever allowed to celebrate Christmas, or claim that it doesn't matter because it's "Old Light" or something like that.

Or they just might not respond to you.

If you have any luck, let us know, maybe we can get some actual scans.

-Becka :)

• carla
    carla

I know what you mean about having the actual 'paper'. I doubt Brooklyn will send you a copy! Try ebay? even if they claim it could be all made up, offer to have a lab sample the paper and ink with a known copy from Brooklyn (or something printed at that time, same place) or the kh library and split the cost. I did this once. Very quickly they (elder) suggested that, 'ok, even if it is real, we don't believe that anymore, wev'e had new light'. So it is futile. Let them prove a copy is false. They always have 'new light' doctrine to fall back on. I'm suprised someone is claiming they never had Christmas? Most seem to know this. Funny thing is, they were celebrating Christmas at the time Jesus was examining all the religions and choose the jw's (bible students). Wonder why God would change his mind on Christmas, hey?

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    I'm suprised someone is claiming they never had Christmas? Most seem to know this. Funny thing is, they were celebrating Christmas at the time Jesus was examining all the religions and choose the jw's (bible students). Wonder why God would change his mind on Christmas, hey?

My JW boyfriend thought I was out of my mind when I said that JWs used to celebrate Christmas, he didn't really believe me. And then he conceded, after I showed him specific WTS quotes, and said that they got rid of Christmas because "it was a new religion and they were still figuring everything out" and that "Christmas just had too many problems, so they got rid of it".

Is that a typical JW response or what??

-Becka :)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hell, just send them a letter making the request! I don't see why they would not send you the information.

Here is a sample letter that you can modify for your own use:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am doing research on the history of Jehovahs Witnesses and I hope you can help me locate an old issue of the Golden Age magazine. I am looking for a reproduction of the [Insert issue date] Golden Age Magazine that illustrates how Jehovahs Witnesses once observed the Christmas holiday. If a reprint is not available I am willing to accept photocopies of the original. Also, please include a letter authenticating the accuracy of the reproduction.

I am willing to pay up to $10.00 (US) in processing fees. If the cost will be more, please contact me before doing the work.

Thank you for you're help in this matter.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

Give it a shot... the worst thing that could happen is they will say no and you will be out $0.39 for a stamp.

• sir82
    sir82

I would bet large sums of wooden nickels that the response will come back "Sorry, that issue is out of print".

• TheListener
    TheListener

Which issue is it?

• Legolas
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Good luck to you. They won't have anything that old in 'original' they will send you for sure. They won't deny that they used to celebrate xmas either. Sorry, out of print is the answer I would expect. Let us know. Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit