Private schools or what?

by DigitalFokus 11 Replies latest social family

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus

Ok, so my Son is 4 years old. His mother and I are not together and have a so so relationship as parents. This will soon be changing since I will soon be living in the same small town and not almost 2 hours away.

Something we have talked about and disagreed on repeatedly is the subject of public verse's private schooling. She is Catholic and I must admit I really do not know much about that religion. I hold the belief that my son will use his own reasoning and judgement to decide what or even if he is going to practice a religion, when he is old enough that is. I do not want to push any religion on him. Oh and btw, I am not religious at all.

I also do not know much about public verses private schooling either. What I do know is that the only private school in our area is catholic and costs a considerable amount of money. I went to public schools and the schools in our area are good compared if he were to go to a public school in the Twin Cities.

This is not really a money issue, granted I am far from rich but will work however many jobs/hours I have need to provide a good balanced education for Junior. I didn't have it..he will.

I guess my question is; is it worth subjecting him to a religous sided education? Are private schools that much better? Pretty much anything info on the subject would be greatly apprecitated.

DF

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

Cannot give you any hard facts. But IMO it really doesn't matter. If your child wants an education they will get one public or private.

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus

mmkay, anyone else?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have no experience with either so I really don't know. My own preference would be for a private school but I really don't know what religious schools are like. I know the stereotype....the nuns with the rulers, but I doubt that is really what goes on today in a Catholic school (or am I wrong?).

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus

I have no idea, I went to a lot of pub schools. and frankly..wasn't all to impressed. hopefully there are some people here with opinions on it or experience

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I agree with Del on that one. The public library is excellent for an education and is available for anyone who wants it and appreciates it.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

For what it is worth, I know several people who are not Catholic who send their kids to Catholic schools.

The most of the public schools around here are not very good, IMO. If I could, I would send my kids to a private school.

(And I work in a public school, so don't tell anyone I said this......)

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

From my experience with kids I know of, the ones that go to private school get a much better education than public. But that I guess is probably pretty obvious. I can relate to how you feel about the religious aspect of it, but there are private schools around that are non religious. It seems they cost more but I think I would figure it was worth it if you want your child to get the BEST education. My sister in law sends her girl to a Christain private school and alot of the cirriculum seems to be spent on Bible classes whereas the non religious ones offer classes in as early as grade school for computer programming and Linux.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

:: What I do know is that the only private school in our area is catholic and costs a considerable amount of money.

I'm sorry I didn't notice this the first time, I didn't see you were moving to a small town. I was thinking the Twin Cities. I would probably consider sending your kid to the Catholic school then. I would have to say the benefit from a private school would have to outweigh anything you might be worried about. Public schools these days are often very disappointing.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

In my area, there are good public schools, great public schools, and absolutely amazing public schools. The same goes for private schools. In general, in this area, the academic education is better at the public schools, although in some schools there are a good deal of social issues that detract from the time teachers can spend actually teaching.

The academic program is important, but I think you also need to take into consideration the strengths and interests of your son. If he's into music and one school has a much better music program that meets his needs, then I'd enroll him there. Same with sports, or art, or whatever his strength turns out to be.

But at 4, I think that the academic side is most important, his other strengths will show themselves over time.

GGG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit