Do spirit creatures have souls?

by skin 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VM44
    VM44

We can extend the question to the ultimate.

Does Jehovah God have a soul?

--VM44

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Since we are allegedly made in the image of God, do you think that sheds any light on the question?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Generally in early Judaism, angels were viewed to be embodied but not in an earthly or fleshly way (and hence not "soulical"), whereas demons were thought to be disembodied, i.e. the spirits of the Nephilim who died during the Flood (and left their bodies behind). The angels that fathered the Nephilim, on the other hand, were thought to have been imprisoned in Tartarus/under the earth by the angels.

Lots of references and examples can be cited to explain all this, but for skyman's sake, I've kept this short.

• skin
    skin

This is something new I noticed about Psalm 11:5. It is well known to me on the subject of violence. But for the 1st time I saw that it talks about Jehovahs soul.

5 Jehovah himself examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one, And anyone loving violence His soul certainly hates.

Does anyone know of other scriptures that talk about spirit creatures having souls?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Yhwh has a nephesh/psukhè just as he has a heart, a face, eyes, ears, a nose, a mouth, arms, hands, fingers, feet...

In official monotheism all of this has to be explained away as poetical anthropomorphisms.

You can't explain a metaphor without killing it.

But metaphors have many lives.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    But Satan and the fallen Angels, possessed independent seasoning because they were able to reason that they could do without Jehovah in charge

Good point slugga - hey, let's start a crusade and teach those moslems (and my ex) to read the whole bible ... hang on ..I'll go fetch my bucket

ps: Been a while since I visited commentaries on the ancient texts but from memory, I think the Jews inherited their belief in dualism (good vs evil, satan vs jah) during their captivity in Babylon.

In official monotheism all of this has to be explained away as poetical anthropomorphisms.

beautifully sucinct narkissos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit