Dances With Watchtowers - Witnessing to Native Americans

by Clam 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

There was someone on this board at one time who along with his wife, special Pioneered or were Missionaries on the Navajo reservation. If I remember correctly, the Watchtower Society convinced the tribal elders to give them some land and allow a Kingdom Hall to be built on their reservation but it was under the condition that the building could be used by all for cultural purposes.

The Watchtower boys agreed to it but later once the Hall was built, wouldn't allow anyone else to use the building. This was part of what opened the eyes of the couple and caused them to leave the organization for good.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Bait-and-switch, huh?

Yeah, that'll make a good impression.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Native Americans were my biggest interest when I was growing up. I made bows and arrows and built tipis and wigwams. I read every book in the library on the subject.

Have you got a favourite tribe? And a favourite Native American leader?

I loved to read about the tribes that held out the longest. Like the Seminoles in Florida, or the Apache in the south west, or the Sioux and Cheyenne on the Great Plains. Red Cloud was my favourite. He won a war and knew when to make peace.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

And a favourite Native American leader?

I've always admired exHeavyweight champion Joe Louis.

He reigned for nearly 12 years and made 25 successful title defenses - still a record in the HW division.

He was part Cherokee.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Who isn't part Cherokee?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2015/10/cherokee_blood_why_do_so_many_americans_believe_they_have_cherokee_ancestry.html

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Just gotta say...this is the best title thread ever.

:)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Who isn't part Cherokee? - lol, yes I know what you're saying.

But just look at photos of Joe Louis. He was often referred to as 'black' but he had curly, not afro hair. He had quite light skin for a black guy, plus he had high cheekbones. There's no way he was full-bloodied black. Photos seem consistent with him having part Native American ancestry.

• Stuck in the middle37
    Stuck in the middle37

I like American Indians. I've been one all of my life. If you can enlarge my picture you can see how long ago that was. When we moved to California we were introduced to the witnesses. I didn't think I was so dumb but it took me over 50yrs. to get out. I even went to prison for my beliefs.

In the 80's we (wife and I) went back to the Midwest,to try and talk to Indians we were very successful a number of large family came in Some of the men became elders. Now I would like to see if I could undo all of that it would be messy. Oh, I'am not Cherokee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit