I am going to read every Watchtower and Awake! magazine

by slimboyfat 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

slimboyfat when he's finished:

• luna2
    luna2

Good luck, slimboy. That's an ambitious undertaking.

Last time a JW came by my house, they left a Watchtower in my door. I tried to read it and even had my highlighter out so that I could try to do a critical analysis...didn't happen. I couldn't get through the first couple of paragraphs. Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through, but the thought of reading every WT ever published boggles my mind. LOL

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Wow! That strikes me as being incredibly time-consuming and horrendously dull without actually being in any way useful. You won't remember half of what you read, you're unlikely to find any cock-ups or scandals that haven't already been well-documented, and you won't learn very much that's interesting, useful or true. You'd be far better making a list of great books you've never read, and then reading them. Or learning a new language. Or knitting a jumper. Or watching every episode of Seinfeld. Haven't you already wasted enough time on the Watchtower?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

SBF - Sorry to hear of the condition that is causing you much problems. Hope that improves with time.

I must concur with SweetTea on this though - if you are determined to do this, make it a critical analysis of sorts. You may soon be the 'guru' of Watchtoweresque. I could not do it. But good luck in your journey.

Jeff

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Or watching every episode of Seinfeld

Already done that... a few times.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I could see the justification if you were writing a book on the history of the JWs or something along those lines. Otherwise, what a horrible waste of your time and energy. Especially when

there are so many excellent periodicals you could be reading instead.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I could see the justification if you were writing a book on the history of the JWs or something

What a good idea!

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

slimboyfat-brother soul funk, do you plan to use any B & D equipment whilst on this journey?

Pete

• willyloman
    willyloman

This reminds me of the last elders' school I attended, when I was beginning to doubt I'd be in dubville much longer. Ted Jaracz was the Bethel celebrity on the program. In a concluding talk, he scolded today's elders for being so preoccupied with entertainment and said, "Why in our day, we didn't need entertainment." He went on to tell the bothers they should fill their free time by going back and reading all the WTS' publications, back to 1919. "That way, you know your history, where you came from" he intoned.

I assure you he was not interupted by applause at this moment. I would go so far as to say most of the elders there were shocked. They all sat rigid in their seats looking straight ahead. No one wanted to look over at another elder for fear they wouldn't keep a straight face.

He's so out of touch he doesn't realize that such a reading program is a formula for shipwreck, as far as dub faith is concerned. It shows you how insane they are at the top level of this organization.

But, hey, if you want to do that, go ahead.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Just remember, like a bad movie, you'll never ever be able to get that time back. It'll be gone forever. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit