government involvement not acceptable?

by M.J. 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

I know of a JW who is employed in a position of responsibility in a department of the federal government. So I wonder, what are the actual restrictions on government involvement for JWs?

Incidentally think it's interesting how the bible is full of people who were involved in "pagan" governments, including Joseph, 2nd in charge of all of Egypt, to Nehemiah, to Daniel, Erastus (treasurer of Corinth), the Eunuch "of great authority" under the queen of Ethiopia, the soldier whom John the Baptist instructed to be happy with his wages, etc..

Anyway, I wonder what the reasoning is on all this.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

They are supposed to be no part of Satans world - but being part og Government I would have thopught was being part of Satans world - mmm interesting

• carla
    carla

My jw says those were special cases. The rest of us slobs shouldn't be involved with government at all.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    Incidentally think it's interesting how the bible is full of people who were involved in "pagan" governments, including Joseph, 2nd in charge of all of Egypt, to Nehemiah, to Daniel, Erastus (treasurer of Corinth), the Eunuch "of great authority" under the queen of Ethiopia, the soldier whom John the Baptist instructed to be happy with his wages, etc..

I think this is interesting too! I asked about this while I was still a JW, and was told that Joseph was sold into slavery and had to do what he was told. I said that he was obviously blessed by God, though, while in his position of power, so what was up with that? Didn't get an answer to that one....

The official JW stance is that you are not allowed to hold any postion in the government.

GGG

• M.J.
    M.J.

Yeah but what exactly is a "position"? Can you be a janitor at the post office? I think they have a "position". Where along the line between janitor and Postmaster General does it become a sin?

• M.J.
    M.J.

Ok I finally found something on this:

w90 11/1 pp. 20-21 The Role of the Superior Authorities ***

"It

Is God’s Minister"

Speaking of the secular authority, Paul continues: "It is God’s minister to you for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear: for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword; for it is God’s minister, an avenger to express wrath upon the one practicing what is bad."—Romans 13:4.

National authorities have sometimes served as God’s minister in specific ways. Cyrus did so when he summoned the Jews to return from Babylon and rebuild God’s house. (Ezra 1:1-4; Isaiah 44:28) Artaxerxes was God’s minister when he sent Ezra with a contribution for the rebuilding of that house and later when he commissioned Nehemiah to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. (Ezra 7:11-26; 8:25-30; Nehemiah 2:1-8) The Roman superior authority served thus when it delivered Paul from the mob in Jerusalem, protected him during shipwreck, and arranged for him to have his own house in Rome.—Acts 21:31, 32; 28:7-10, 30, 31.

Similarly, secular authorities have served as God’s minister in modern times. In 1959, for example, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that one of Jehovah’s Witnesses accused in Quebec of publishing seditious and defamatory libel was not guilty—thus counteracting the prejudice of the then premier of Quebec, Maurice Duplessis.

Further, in a general way, national governments serve as God’s minister by preserving public order until God’s Kingdom takes over that responsibility. According to Paul, to this end the authority "bears the sword," symbolizing its right to inflict punishment. Usually, this involves imprisonment or fines. In some lands it may also include the death penalty. On the other hand, many nations have chosen not to have the death penalty, and that also is their right.

The fact that the superior authorities are God’s minister explains why Daniel, the three Hebrews, Nehemiah, and Mordecai were able to accept responsible positions in the Babylonian and Persian governments. They could thus appeal to the authority of the State for the good of God’s people. (Nehemiah 1:11; Esther 10:3; Daniel 2:48, 49; 6:1, 2) Today some Christians also work in government service. But since they are separate from the world, they do not join political parties, seek political office, or accept policy-making positions in political organizations.

I find the above passage inconsistent on many levels. I don't have time right now to get into it!

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    16 The fact that the superior authorities are God’s minister explains why Daniel, the three Hebrews, Nehemiah, and Mordecai were able to accept responsible positions in the Babylonian and Persian governments. They could thus appeal to the authority of the State for the good of God’s people. (Nehemiah 1:11; Esther 10:3; Daniel 2:48, 49; 6:1, 2) Today some Christians also work in government service. But since they are separate from the world, they do not join political parties, seek political office, or accept policy-making positions in political organizations.

So, why could Daniel and the three Hebrews accept the fact that the superior authorities are God's ministers and thus accept jobs in the governments, but Christians today cannot? That makes absolutely no sense...

GGG

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

15 Further, in a general way, national governments serve as God’s minister by preserving public order until God’s Kingdom takes over that responsibility. According to Paul, to this end the authority "bears the sword," symbolizing its right to inflict punishment. Usually, this involves imprisonment or fines. In some lands it may also include the death penalty.

WTBS is in favor of CAPITAL PUNISHMENT??!!?Because worldly Gov't is taking God's place in the interim? I'm sorry but that is both illogical and non-scriptural. To be true to conviction, WTBS should come out on record as being unopposed to war and abortion as well using the same "logic" since the Gov't of man is now ruling.

• M.J.
    M.J.

The WTS objections seem to all have something to do with democracy.

So then, can a JW be an appointed judge, but not an elected judge?

Can a JW be a prosecuting attorney for the state, but not the elected district/county attorney?

Can a JW be a public school administrator but not be on the school board?

I suppose a JW would have a lot more leeway in an authortarian government where all positions are granted by appointment.

• M.J.
    M.J.

13 National authorities have sometimes served as God’s minister in specific ways...Similarly, secular authorities have served as God’s minister in modern times....Further, in a general way, national governments serve as God’s minister by preserving public order until God’s Kingdom takes over that responsibility

So what is it, WTS? Are they God's or Satan's? "what communion hath light with darkness?" (2 Cor 6:14)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit