Beating your kids

by cakemonkey3 23 Replies latest jw friends

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus

I was beatin as a kid, but thats not because my dad was a dub(he wasn't), it was because he was an abusive prick. The times I was spanked by the good side of my family, i.e. uncles, grandfather or step-father (actually he never spanked me, i was told old and big) I learned my lesson, I knew what I was being punished for and I was never spanked by an angry hand. But is sure hurt like hell.

I am a parent of a 4 year old boy. I have never spanked my son because I haven't felt the need to. I remember him running from me (thought it was a game) down a sidewalk next to a very busy street in Minneapolis, when I finally caught up with him I explained why he should listen to daddy and told him that that I loved him. He seemed to take it all in well for a kid his age.

BUT, this is not saying that I don't believe in spanking. And he will recieve a spanking one day I am sure of it. He is a mini me. LOL But beatings, hell no. Oh and when he is older and if he drops the f-bomb in front of grandma or grandpa, i am sure he will get the soap treatment.

I know i did.

don't know if this helped.

DF

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Am I the only man to answer this thread?? (Takes big breath).

The more skilled I became as a parent, the less inclined I was to smack.

But I had something happen once that scared the life out of me; My property is very well fenced and the gate has a latch on each side so that little people can't reach both at the same time. I had always told my kids to never go past the gate, if it was open, and down the drive because they will end up on a main highway and get killed, squashed, no more (insert name). Dead pets were a teaching moment. One day my youngest, about 3 or 4 made his way down the drive and by sheer chance I saw him. I ran after him and grabbed him off the road and gave him one almighty belt that lifted him off his feet! Immediately afterward, with my heart pounding, I hugged him tightly.

I can't think of any other more effective shock that I could have administered right then. Education and talking had not sunk in at that age. I think the temporary shock I gave him got the message through.

So, can smacking be an act of love?

Pete.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Hi digitalfokus, you're a man. Phew! I just noticed that serendipity had a similar experience.

I guesss my post was about spanking not beating.

If an adult has difficulty differentiating between a smack and abuse there is something very wrong.There has been a big debate here in NZ as to whether smacking should be banned by law. Should the govt. be able to make this decision on our behalf? Are most parents THAT incapable of parenting?

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus

LOL, oops. I almost got bent out of shape.

I completely agree bro.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit