risk taking

by joelbear 17 Replies latest jw friends

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I think there is a fine line between the sense of having fun and being practical. Having a steady job provides a sense of security/stability and escaping your daily routine and having fun provides a sense of freedom and enjoyment. The true route to take is being reasonable -- not too hasty yet not too cautious.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Hi Out,

Those are legitimate questions. Mitch is still definitely around and part of the picture. That does complicate matters quite a bit.

Mitch is very happy with his job and very satisfied with his life. He has told me that he will support me in whatever decision I make, even if that means we will spend more time apart for a while.

It is always complicated when partners in life are experiencing a differing level of life satisfaction. I enjoy my life with him, but
    there are other things I need from life besides my partnership with him and he understands that.

aaaah, the angst.

Joel

• ReverendRoy
    ReverendRoy

Joelbear -
    It's easy for me to say go for it, however I am not you.

However, since you asked....why not!!?!?!?!?!?! Angel has an excellent point, you can always go back to work. Life is so short why not live each day (moment) to its fullest?

I can say from my work experience that I would not trade any of the risks I have taken for almost anything.

My most recent "risk" was to take a job back in Texas so I could spend more time with my wife and little girl. To enjoy life...is it perfect, no but pretty damn close. Beyond spending real time with my wife, I am getting to see my little girl develop and grow each day.

All you have is right now, don't let there be any would've, could've or should've's in your life! I have read that the only person that likes change is a wet baby....or it would at least seam that way sometimes. However, change and taking calculated risks (as MrMoe says) can be exillarating and scary. Put that is part of the fun...the carousel is fine but I like the roller coaster.

Good luck!

• TR
    TR

Hi Joel,

the things you want to do sound great! I took the chance of starting a business, and it has worked out quite well for me.

I say do what you really want, as long as it isn't foolish.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Lindy
    Lindy

Joel dear,
    In my opinion, take the risk. I haven't taken the big risks that others here have taken, God bless them, but I took a big risk for me. Going to college as an older adult. Two semesters in, and I wish I had had the guts to do it years ago. I held myself back with al the standard excuses. Risk taking is scary, obviously. But it seems that when it pays off, it pays off pretty nicely. I don't see why you shouldn't do your hearts desire. The ho-hum life will always be there if you need it. I come from the bohemian life geneticaly. I heard my Grandma led the lifestyle greatly and was a very, very happy woman. I was always sorry she died before my time. I think I would have loved her and she would have made sure that I escaped the Borg much earlier.
    Live life, my sweety, it is all you got!

Lindy

• jonjonsimons
    jonjonsimons

Joel,
    I can only share a true story with you that might help. About 15 years ago when I was just a wee lad of 21 I took a one month trip to Indonesia. When I got to Bali I stumbled upon this small commune of huts on a black sand beach in a remote part of the island. The place consisted of about 10-12 huts that encircled a large dining/bar area in the center of the compound. On the day I arrived I met up with an Australian sailor named Guy, but that's another story! Anyway the day I got there I found out the bartender had quit that morning. I told the owner that I had slung cocktails before and would be willing to help him out for a couple of evenings in exchange for room and board. I figured if I could mix drinks in a nightclub on the weekends back home I could handle this place. Anyway to make a long story short, the family that owned the place offered to give me the job permanently and for some reason I said no. Ended up back in Ohio after the month was over as I had planned. The point I'm trying to make is that even though my life is great and I am very content, there are still times when I think about that chance and kick myself for not at least trying it. I didn't take the chance then because I was too afraid of change. Don't make the same mistake!

Peace and love,
    Jon
    BTW that drag name is too much fun. My drag name was Streat Walker...get it. I only do Aids benefits now days...those heels are too damn painful!

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Dear Joel,

Can I tell you my story? No?

But I must!

I had a very stable job and two kids and a husband out of work. I didn't make a lot of money, but enough to just get by. I did not like my job at all, but felt trapped. I had no life, no freedom, but I had a paycheck and health insurance.

One day I realized I was going to be poor the rest of my life. I cried a little over it, and then decided that from that moment on, I was going to lead the best damn life a poor person could!

It wasn't long before I realized that since I was going to be poor forever, I might as well work in a job I liked while I was being poor!

It was so hard to get up the guts to put in my notice at work. I had worked at this job my entire adult life. There was so much fear involved. Not only that, but all of my co-workers told me I was crazy! But I hung on to a couple thoughts: #1 I was SURE this was the right thing to do, #2 If things didn't work out, I could always go back to the crappy job I hated. Hanging on to these two thoughts for dear life, I went to my boss, and put in my notice.

It was the best thing I ever did. As soon as I put in my notice, a huge weight seemed to be lifted off my shoulders. I felt so good! I felt like I had some power in my life. I felt liberated. It was only a matter of days before I found a job in the field I had always wanted to work in. I swear, it was meant to be. It has only been a couple of years, and I make more money, have fun everyday, make a difference in people’s lives, and get every summer off. It is so much more than I ever hoped for. A job ½ this good would keep me quite happy.

I used to always make choices based on "What is the safest?" Now I make choices based on quality of life.

For me, taking the risk was the best thing that I ever did.

--LisaBobeesa

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Joel,

Sometimes you've just got to take the risk because if you don't you'll be old, regretting the missed opportunities.

Like some here, I made the decision to up sticks and try something different. It wasn't greatly adventurous but moving countries and culture is not always easy. We sold up, house, furniture and lots of other belongings when I accepted a job in the US. Our decision (based on my contract) was "why not try it for two years and enjoy doing something different". My then-wife enjoyed it so much she left me as well...good for her.

As for me, I got my green card, bought a house, and found someone to love.

If we'd have stayed put my wife would still likely have left me. And I'd be doubly miserable regretting missed opportunities.

There are plenty of things I've skipped or avoided. Growing up a JW doesn't help one bit. It is time for trying new things. You only live once, you might as well enjoy it.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit