America's new dream: Retire at 85

by Elsewhere 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4726300.stm

Retirement age 'should reach 85'

By Paul Rincon
    BBC News science reporter, St Louis

The age of retirement should be raised to 85 by 2050 because of trends in life expectancy, a US biologist has said.

Shripad Tuljapurkar of Stanford University says anti-ageing advances could raise life expectancy by a year each year over the next two decades.

That will put a strain on economies around the world if current retirement ages are maintained, he warned.

He also told a science meeting in St Louis that 50-year or 75-year mortgages may not be unusual in the future.

Dr Tuljapurkar was speaking at the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual meeting in the Missouri city.

"People are going to do things they didn't get round to in their working lives. Current institutions are really not equipped at the moment to deal with such long lives," Dr Tuljapurkar said.

"We are going to have to plan a lot more carefully, which people are not very good at."

Lifestyle trends

The Stanford researcher has been looking at relationships between historical trends in ageing, population growth and economic activity.

Based on this, he came up with a scenario in which anti-ageing technologies will increase the most common age of death by one year per year between 2010 and 2030.

Dr Tuljapurkar then applied this scenario to four countries: the US, China, Sweden and India.

He found that his projected trends in life expectancy would have profound effects on the economy, lifestyle and population demographics.

"It might be possible to go through two mortgages, for example, or even have 50-year or 75-year mortgages," Dr Tuljapurkar explained.

In the US, the cost of social security and medical care would almost double if people retired at 65 under Tuljapurkar's scenario.

But an increase in the retirement age to 85 would bring costs down to today's levels.

However these trends would also create a "permanent underclass" of countries where opportunities for increased life expectancy were not the same as in the industrialised world.

"We can't even get retrovirals to some countries now," he told journalists.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Is it a dream or a nightmare to retire twenty years later? And it looks outlandish that the average lifespan will increase from 75 to 95 years by 2025. And will those between 65 and 85 be fit enough to work?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

there are already 40 and 50 year mortgages

• Mary
    Mary

Why are we worried about this anyway? The New System will be here "within the next 7 years" according to a local bonehead elder in my area, rendering the age of retirement moot.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Wishful thinking is good, but we're not brainwashed anymore

• Highlander
    Highlander

I'll give you my opinion on this subject in about 54 years.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Well that just sucks..........I am not even 50 yet..........and having a hard time thinking of working until 65, let alone 85!!!!

America just loves to work I have decided.

• ballistic
    ballistic

This is being discussed in the UK at the moment - the big issue is seen as this: the age that has been suggested is lower than the average life expectancy of populations in certain areas. One suberb of Glasgow for example, the average life expectancy for a male is 57. In any case, it is the lower classes who will end up working their whole life without a retirement.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

BUT BUT I dont understand.

I thought there was more clinical obesity than ever before, and epidemic of people with type 2 diabetes, more children being born with asthma and allergies than ever before, binge drinking causing liver damage in 20 yr olds (well in the UK anyway).

When I look at all the young people in my town smoking and boozing and taking drugs like there is no tomorrow, eating fast food and coke as a staple part of their diet, no idea how to cook using vegetables and fresh ingredients, I wonder how these guys are gonna live past their 40th birthday, let alone living til they are 95.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I agree with KatieKitten, my grandson has more health problems than I do at 22. Most of it due to his lifestyle when he was a teenager, he's trying to get it together now though.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit