Terry

Carefully chosen words
    deserve to be considered
    carefully.

*** Watchtower April 1, 1920, pp.99-104 ***

[Scans available: Page 99 , 100 , 101 , 102 , 103 , 104 ]

Let Us Dwell in Peace

[...]

[...] If the Society was the channel for the beginning of these publications, is there any evidence indicating that the Lord has since chosen another and different channel? If the Society is not the channel for the transmission of this message of truth to the people, then why has the Lord permitted it to have the exclusive control of the publications? This includes the Watch Tower, which has at all times been recognized as the official organ of the Society.

It is the conclusion, therefore, of the Editorial Committee--and in this the officers of the Society concur--that the Society is the Channel the Lord is using to carry on his work; that it has a divine commission, a work to perform, and which it is endeavoring, by the Lord's grace, to perform. If others have a different view, let them enjoy that view, but let us dwell together in peace. There is no occasion for controversy. We have no quarrel with any one who holds a different view.

The above words are taken from The Watchtower magazine four years after the death of its founder, C.T.Russell.

Those were difficult years for many reasons. Not the least of which was the transition from one leadership (meaning one thing to the readers of the magazine) to an entirely different leadership under one J.F. (Judge) Rutherford.

Rutherford's task was essentially that of wresting power and authority from a charismatic (dead) leader and assuming legitimacy for himself. He set about that task with brutal efficiency.

1.Rutherford needed control of the corporation and business interests of the Watchtower as sole leader. His obstacle was that Russell had already decided who would occupy that position and had named those men. Rutherford disagreed. Through legal manuevers better known to Rutherford he was able to overturn Russell's arrangement and replace it with his own.

2.Rutherford needed to explain the transition of leadership in biblical terms using Russell's familiar style and own peculiar brand of logic without damaging any of the cherished belief orthodoxy which had sprung from Russell's exegesis of scripture.

3.Once Rutherford achieved sole authority over the Watchtower as a means of disseminating doctrine he could change willy-nilly whatever he liked. In the meantime, it was vital that he not paint his predecessor as anything but a beacon of divine revelation.

At first this was achieved using the explication of the book of Revelation which C.T. (Pastor) Russell had been working on before his death in 1916. A ghost writer completed it and it was released two years into the unsettled time of WWI.

It is important to note that many complicated events took place in this interim period which sealed the fate of J.F.Rutherford and the leadership of the Watchtower Society as a legal corporation.

There was, as a result, a schism. Those who chose not to accept Rutherford's leadership and tactics as a divinely approved resumption of Watchtower leadership fell away and remained International Bible Students.

Those who opposed were a LOYAL OPPOSITION. And, as a loyal opposition they wanted matters discussed openly and arbitrated in regards to the finances and policies which Russell had provided.

Rutherford, characteristically chose to launch ad hominem attacks against this LOYAL OPPOSITION and label them as an Apostate group.

Many Watchtower articles would deal with defensive postures relating to this group's criticisms of Rutherford as a person. The above article is one of many.

As a person trained in the law, Rutherford was skilled at presenting a defense which had the plausible deniability and courtroom tactic-logic which might convince a jury a felon was not guility.

It is interesting to parse his words and especially his reasoning from premise to conclusion.

Let us take a moment to do just that!

The audience he is speaking to is like a jury of peers who already believe that C.T.Russell was the divinely selected conduit of end times understanding. His task is to link himself as a Russell replacement.

He begins:

[...] If the Society was the channel for the beginning of these publications, is there any evidence indicating that the Lord has since chosen another and different channel?

What do we discover here in this chain of reasoning?

Rutherford wants to use a premise (already accepted) to establish a logical conclusion. It begins with the word "IF". Rutherford knows the only people reading the Watchtower are persons who cherised belief in C.T.Russell as God's channel of communication. So, Rutherford does not need to actually PROVE the premise and assumption that the Watchtower Society was, indeed, that channel. ( Important!)

[...]If the Society is not the channel for the transmission of this message of truth to the people, then why has the Lord permitted it to have the exclusive control of the publications?

This includes the Watch Tower, which has at all times been recognized as the official organ of the Society.

This is tricky and elusive reasoning. Rutherford is slyly inserting a red herring alternative and presenting it as the ONLY possible alternative. He is forcing the reader to ASSUME "The Lord permitted it" to have the exclusive control of the publications. This cut and paste logical (?) alternative serves to short-circuit actual logical reasoning. It omits the OTHER alternative: The Lord had nothing whatever do do with either C.T.Russell or the Watchtower because all of its date-setting scenarios and Great Pyramid proofs were nothing but crackpot notions!

We continue....?

It is the conclusion, therefore, of the Editorial Committee--and in this the officers of the Society concur--that the Society is the Channel the Lord is using to carry on his work; that it has a divine commission, a work to perform, and which it is endeavoring, by the Lord's grace, to perform.

This is a most absurd representation of fact. Rutherford took steps to remove the editorial committee and disallow them a say in anything he wrote. However, he used their names as though they were still in power until 1931!

What are we to conclude from this?

Rutherford was not above misrepresentation of fact. Rutherford was manipulative. Rutherford was able to transfer a set of unproven beliefs by naive people into a kind of mandate to control a large and influential corporation, its assets and manpower.

The final statement is the most disturbing because it is an outright lie.

. If others have a different view, let them enjoy that view, but let us dwell together in peace. There is no occasion for controversy. We have no quarrel with any one who holds a different view.

From that harrowing beginning the Watchtower began a series of unrelenting attacks on any person or organization which opposed Rutherford. His self-righteous indignation was bold, scathing and couched in terms of divine wrath.

The Watchtowr has never strayed from his policy of excoriating any who disagree!

No Loyal Opposition has ever been allowed to exist. There is no mechanism of dissent or discussion about hurtful policies. The grandiose rhetoric of personal attack and lofty exemption from responsibility resulted in what the organization most suffers from today: Bunker Mentality.

Instead of a religious organization concentrating of effective messege dissemination and public discourse; the Watchtower leadership has gone underground while hurling epithets of "Apostacy" and "Satanic opposition" whenever they are called to account for errors, misrepresentations of fact or policy waffling which results in harm to its membership or the reputation of the God they claim to witness to: Jehovah.

Ask any person on the street what Jehovah's Witnesses stand for and the list will include crackpot ideas about blood transfusions, flag salute, holiday celebrations and notably FALSE PROPHECY about the end of the world.

This legacy plagues the rank and file because the leadership never had and never will address their culpability.

It all began with Rutherford's legal skills in setting the template for illogic dressed up as logic.

If......then.......if.....then.....

without ever actually establishing the "if", but, merely asserting it as fact. The Watchtower presents what is normally viewed as Exegesis. Instead, however, what they really present is EISEGESIS. (Define: eisegesis (wikipedia): eisegesis occurs when a reader reads his/her interpretation into the text. As a result, exegesis tends to be objective when employed effectively while eisegesis is regarded as highly subjective. An individual who practices eisegesis is known as an eisegete, as someone who practices exegesis is known as an exegete.

T.

• Quentin
    Quentin

As usual informative and straight to the point...useful the difference between the two words. Puts a different light on WT literature...now if I can keep them straight in my mind...:)

• Flash
    Flash

Rutherford "The Judge" was IMO, the first in a long line of evil slaves beating the congregation since Russell's passing right up till today with Jaracz.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Terry,

Whatever you said...........I wholeheartedly agree!!!!!

Seriously I do!

purps

eisegesis occurs when a reader reads his/her interpretation into the text. As a result, exegesis tends to be objective when employed effectively while eisegesis is regarded as highly subjective. An individual who practices eisegesis is known as an eisegete, as someone who practices exegesis is known as an exegete.
    I think this is alot of why everyone tends to think "THEY" are right. If you know what I mean.

• Terry
    Terry

There is an old expression; "In for a penny; in for a pound."

It means, in effect, once you accept the premise of something you've opened the door for all the rest.

I think it is important to reflect on the thing that made each of us accept the Watchtower as a source of true information.

For me, it was the careful DEBUNKING of religious beliefs (on the part of Christianity) using historic proofs concerning things I'd always believed myself.

By dismantling the superstructure of mainstream beliefs it made me question the veracity of EVERYTHING I had considered true. This led me to see

___what else___the Watchtower could tell me that I might need to know.

Little did I know they were taking me out of the frying pan and placing me directly in the fire.

In for a penny; in for a pound.

I took the bait and swallowed the hook.

Premises are essential in importance.

The Watchtower is masterful at loading sentences with hidden premises.

T.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    Premises are essential in importance.

In order to realize this, one needs to be able to think for oneself.

The WTS has discouraged higher education and has systematically dumbed down the literature. The question and answer sessions at the bookstudy and WT study are mind-numbing in their employment of rote-learning. Independent thought is subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) banned.

How does the average dub then manage to question the premises of what they believe?

Typical example: Pioneer sister studying with teenager. Teenager asks intelligent questions, such as, How can you know that this is the only true religion? What about Hindus, Buddhists, etc, who have never even heard of Christianity, much less JWs? Pioneer sister asks teenager if she has been on apostate websites, since that is usually where such questions are found. Pioneer sister asks teenager if she believes herself to be the only person who has ever wondered about such things... teenager answers, no... Pioneer sister declares triumphantly that there is an answer, and that teenager must study more and research better to find them.

Every day, I have more respect for those on this site and others who have found their way out of the WT.

Thanks for the food for thought, Terry!

GGG

• LDH
    LDH
    If the Society was the channel for the beginning of these publications, is there any evidence indicating that the Lord has since chosen another and different channel? If the Society is not the channel for the transmission of this message of truth to the people, then why has the Lord permitted it to have the exclusive control of the publications?

Two other assumptions here Terry.

One, that there is a God. Two, that he gives a shit what people print in a magazine.

Lisa

• Terry
    Terry
    Two other assumptions here Terry.

One, that there is a God. Two, that he gives a shit what people print in a magazine.

Lisa

Indeed! It is recursive like a mirror of a mirror.

The buy-in comes when we try and see where we are in those images.

Religious thought requires at least one unproved (and unprovable) assertion totally accepted as real.

T.

• VM44
    VM44

"If the Society is not the channel for the transmission of this message of truth to the people, then why has the Lord permitted it to have the exclusive control of the publications?"

Maybe because the Society owned the printing presses?

It certainly is a trick question!

I wonder why Macmillan and Van Amburg supported Rutherford to be president of the WTBTS after Russell died. One of them even stated that Rutherford "was the best man for the job"! I wonder why they thought that!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

"If the Society is not the channel for the transmission of this message of truth to the people, then why has the Lord permitted it to have the exclusive control of the publications?"

What Rutherford was REALLY saying was this:

"The Society has exclusive control of the publications, hence, the Society is the channel used by the Lord for the transmission of the messages of truth to the people."

See how Rutherford twisted the sentence around so as to leave the reader with the THOUGHT that Rutherford wanted the reader to have?

Rutherford was slick, no doubt about that.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit