How greedy is "greedy"?

by scout575 8 Replies latest jw friends

• scout575
    scout575

At 1 Corinthians 5:11 Christians are commanded "not to keep company" and "not to eat" with a fellow believer who is "covetous" ( greedy - NWT ). What signs of greediness in a fellow believer would make a Christian obey this NT command and begin to "not keep company" and 'not eat' with his or her greedy, fellow Christian?

• TopHat
    TopHat

Well, I guess that leaves OUT the GB....the most greedy of ALL fellows!

• joelbear
    joelbear

i define greed as taking more than you really need.

• daystar
    daystar

It's so weird for me to hear that there was (is?) such focus on this. It wasn't such a catch-word when I was in.

• jstalin
    jstalin

I believe everything we do is based on greed. I guess it depends on how you define greed, but self-interest is the most basic form. I don't believe anyone is selfless.

• joelbear
    joelbear

self interest is not greed. we have to have a certain amount of it to survive and thrive, but when we let this get out of control and continue to want more and more beyond what we need, that is greed.

• jstalin
    jstalin
    self interest is not greed. we have to have a certain amount of it to survive and thrive, but when we let this get out of control and continue to want more and more beyond what we need, that is greed.

I can agree with that. But I don't think greed is a bad thing. It makes the world go 'round.

• scout575
    scout575

Notice that Paul lists greediness second in his list of 'disfellowshipping' offences, at 1 Corinthians 5:11. I wonder how many Christians have obeyed the Bible's command to shun a greedy fellow believer? How could a Christian possibly be sure that a fellow believer really was being greedy? Is it 3 chocolate bars a day? Or 5 doughnuts a day, maybe? Doesn't it appear that these 'inspired' words at 1 Corinthians 5:11 are somewhat LESS than practical? Not inspired of god at all, maybe?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

so much wiggle room here, that it gives a body of elders carte blanche

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit