Can you really believe everything in the Bible?

by proplog2 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Navigator
    Navigator

In a word, NO! Has anyone ever considered why Jesus didn't have his disciples write down what he was teaching? I suspect he knew that it would be altered, massaged, added to so that it wouldn't be recogizable to those who orignally sat at his feet. There is some wonderful stuff in the Bible. In my view, the story of the Prodigal Son tells us everything we need to know about God and what our future will be.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Navigator...Are you forgetting that in Revelation that John was told to... write because these words are faithful and true?

• gumby
    gumby

Pete.....yep, as I figured.....your notes are similar to mine. Harmony between the gospel and the epistles are hard to find. One is gnostic ( epistles)... and the other ( gospels) is literal in content.

Has anyone ever considered why Jesus didn't have his disciples write down what he was teaching? I suspect he knew that it would be altered, massaged, added to so that it wouldn't be recogizable to those who orignally sat at his feet.

Good point Navigator. This was one of the things that got me into checking to see if a "bible" was to be a manuel/guide in gods overall plan for mankind to abide by. Nowhere did he or his son command their followers to record his life and teachings since they took that upon themselves.

Not even the supposed writers/authors of these books had an agenda of these writings to oneday being compiled at some future point to serve as a guide for mankind If god did not ordain it to be so, why should it be viewed as a book authored and inspired by him?

Gumby

• Navigator
    Navigator

Legolas

The book of Revelations was not part of the early "canon" and many of the early church fathers considered it unworthy to be included. I once mentioned to a Professor of Bible at Brite Divinity School (T.C.U.) that our class was studying the book of Revelation and asked him what we could expect from that study. His reply was that the most we could expect was to finish the study and still be good friends. I suspect that the writer was smoking "weed".

• gumby
    gumby

Revelations was kicked out of the canon more times than a dub that can't quit smokin is kicked out.

It wasn't till the 4th century if I remember correctly it was added as a stable part of the canon. Why would god let his supposed inspired message go under this kind of abscurity and attack were it truly his message?

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit