truth

by John Doe 11 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

This is a journal entry from a literary theory class I'm taking. Thought it might stimulate some discussion.

Little Johnny sits with a quaint expression on his face, sticking his pudgy little fingers into the corner of his mouth and slurping the oozy jelly remaining on his pilfering little fingers. The empty jar rattles as he plunges a butter knife into every crevice, searching for any remaining peanut butter.

Just now, his mother comes into the room and sees him slinking behind the kitchen table. She says “Have you been getting into the pb and jelly again?! Didn’t I tell you not to eat anymore!!! And now you’re lying to me? You’re going to learn to tell the truth.”

“Uh.. . ., I forgot mommy. I didn’t mean to.” But, his story is unconvincing. 5 minutes later, Johnny is contemplating his red behind and the notion of his mother’s “truth.” Johnny has begun with rapid instruction an education into the notion of truth, and his mother doesn’t include stories tailor made to individual circumstances, whims, and wishes. When he told his mother he forgot her wishes, he wanted to believe in this “truth,” and he almost did.

But individuals believing in self-contained truth is not enough to establish a well-fitting definition of truth; no, more is needed, as the mothers of the world will attest. Our perception of truth must coincide, at least generally, with others of our contemporaries. Johhny had not forgotten his command, and because his mother knew this, we can agree that the mother’s “truth” was an external factor gauged by Johnny’s actions, something on which deconstructionists and formalists will likely agree. However, her thoughts on the matter can’t only be based on external “truth.” Whether Johnny really forgot or not is irrelevant to the mother’s decision of what truth is. Mommy needs to place her anger caused by the depleted peanut butter on something tangible—namely Johnny. As such, her truth is a set of tailor-made explanations regarding what she needs to feel. Sound familiar? She may be correct in her assessment of Johnny, but she would still hold the same view if she were mistaken.

We have now arrived where deconstructionists and formalists separate. Formalists will instruct us to look for absolute, tangible, ax + by =0, formulaic relations between our identities, our thoughts, our literature, and our realities. However, deconstructionists will be quick to decipher our inability to mesh the signified with the signifiers in such an external truth. As such, deconstructionist’s literary meanings, relations, and theories seem to be much more ephemeral, dynamic, and elusive. After all, we cannot step outside the lens with which we view our world, and we have only general similarities in lenses between our brothers and sisters. Therefore, gray is a fitting color for deconstructionist, (if I’m understanding their argument correctly.) While absolute truth may exist, all we will ever have will be our signifiers of truth, representing something which will never be physically tangible.

We are as scientists. I recall one of the opening lines in my Biology book: “There is no truth in science.” No, “scientific theory” is considered to be the best possible explanation taking into account all available evidence at any given time. Because possibilities for new information are infinite and our capability of handling such information is finite, theories are always open to change. “Truth” is open to change.

As we can see, the notion of truth is an abstract concept that is difficult to decipher and impossible to integrate consistently with every person. There is no absolute meaning that we as humans can attain and hope for. So, we must define this notion of truth in a way that is not concrete, but rather, as something changeable. We cannot speak legitimately of a common reality, but rather a personal reality. Hence, I propose that a good definition of truth does not involve what we cannot express or experience. Rather, truth should be viewed as a frame of mind.

But, we walk a fine line between having a definition that encompasses enough, and one that is too unrestrictive. As humans, we strive to make value judgments based on truth, yet if truth is too elusive, we feel lost and lacking. So, a good definition of truth must include an ability and willingness to examine our motives, thoughts, experiences, etc. Yet, we must simultaneously reject what is not useful or too unsettling. Maybe Johnny was right. Maybe he uttered truth. Maybe truth is something for keeping ourselves away from mental trouble. Perhaps we’d rather experience a red bottom than to look in the mirror every day with no clue, wondering what notion will be lambasted with conflicting, surging chaos in the near future, but not lying to ourselves and others. Yes, comfort and security, while sometimes inaccurate, articulate desires within the human psyche that are more powerful than any “truth,”—they are “truth.” Many structuralists reside in humankind, and the peanut butter jar is often empty.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Interesting post.

I think I would disagree, though, from both a "formal" and "deconstructionist" standpoint...

I recall one of the opening lines in my Biology book: “There is no truth in science.” No, “scientific theory” is considered to be the best possible explanation taking into account all available evidence at any given time. Because possibilities for new information are infinite and our capability of handling such information is finite, theories are always open to change. “Truth” is open to change.

Formal fallacy here. If "truth" were subject to change as the conclusion holds there would be no meaning at all to the former sentence "there is no truth in science" which is posited as the premise. There would actually be a "truth" in science -- but a provisional "truth" which is no "truth" at all, just theory. The slide of meaning in "truth" from the first sentence to the last which makes the demonstration possible ruins it right from the start.

As we can see, the notion of truth is an abstract concept that is difficult to decipher and impossible to integrate consistently with every person. There is no absolute meaning that we as humans can attain and hope for. So, we must define this notion of truth in a way that is not concrete, but rather, as something changeable. We cannot speak legitimately of a common reality, but rather a personal reality. Hence, I propose that a good definition of truth does not involve what we cannot express or experience. Rather, truth should be viewed as a frame of mind.

We cannot arbitrarily change the meanings of words. They do change constantly, by the evolution of usage which is the work of all speakers and reflect their ongoing power struggle. But one speaker cannot change them "at will" if he is not to speak to himself (and perhaps even if he is). In another sense of "truth," as Jaspers put it, "truth begins with two". Which points to a relational, intersubjective concept of truth as the writer wishes, but this is a metaphorical notion of truth which draws its figurative meaning from the external, objective notion of "truth" -- unreachable as the latter can be.

"Truth" is an absolute -- even if, especially if it can never be reached. It is a word in the text pointing to a hors-texte ("out-of-the-text") which the text cannot comprehend -- and which cannot comprehend the text either.

The problem with "truth" is not that it does not exist -- it may exist in a way we don't -- rather that it is always already lost to us beyond recovery. In Greek the "truth" is etymologically aletheia, the unforgotten -- a double negation. Every mention (or, rather, invocation) of "truth" jumps over the possibility and inevitability of forgetfulness -- the erasure. No wonder why "I forgot" is the first excuse which comes in the story as it does in real life. "I forgot" = the truth about the Truth?

But still the asymptotic reference to absolute truth which negatively grounds all definitions of practical and relative "truths" is essential to language I guess. If no truth is attainable beyond intersubjective agreement, the question remains why we would want to call an agreement a "truth" rather than an "agreement". Here the absolute dismissed through the front door comes back through the window.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

"Truth" is an iconic religious term. Because of its religious overtones people interested in advancing knowledge use it very rarely and usually metaphorically even then.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I recall one of the opening lines in my Biology book: “There is no truth in science.” No, “scientific theory” is considered to be the best possible explanation taking into account all available evidence at any given time. Because possibilities for new information are infinite and our capability of handling such information is finite, theories are always open to change. “Truth” is open to change.
    Formal fallacy here. If "truth" were subject to change as the conclusion holds there would be no meaning at all to the former sentence "there is no truth in science" which is posited as the premise. There would actually be a "truth" in science -- but a provisional "truth" which is no "truth" at all, just theory. The slide of meaning in "truth" from the first sentence to the last which makes the demonstration possible ruins it right from the start.

Astute observation. However, I was establishing a definition of truth; hence the two differing meanings do not conflict. Perhaps I should have used quotation marks around the first truth; or made it more clear that I was speaking of the conventional truth people commonly refer to that is unattainable and therefore irrelevant, in my opinion. In effect, I was establishing a contrast between an abstract, fairy-tale notion and something that attempts to more closely model the human condition--not an easy task, to say the least, and definitely a source for what might appear a contradiction. However, I should qualify that such a notion is a personal "truth" of mine, something I was trying to distinguish from what the science book termed truth. More than anything, I was thinking outloud.

"Truth" is an absolute -- even if, especially if it can never be reached.

Why must truth be absolute if it is unattainable? I fail to see the leap. Interesting post.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

It is that for which we strive. If it is not absolute, we always acheive it and never need to seek further. But we know that is not the case, therefore it must be a conceptual absolute that we have not yet attained (will never attain?).

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    We cannot arbitrarily change the meanings of words. They do change constantly, by the evolution of usage which is the work of all speakers and reflect their ongoing power struggle. But one speaker cannot change them "at will" if he is not to speak to himself (and perhaps even if he is).

This "truth" (LOL) was dramatized by Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass.

" ‘... and that shows that there are three hundred and sixty-four days when you might get un-birthday presents-’ ‘Certainly,’ said Alice. ‘And only ONE for birthday presents, you know. There’s glory for you!’ ‘I don’t know what you mean by ‘glory’,’ Alice said. Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. ‘Of course you don’t – till I tell you. I meant ‘there’s a nice knock-down argument for you!’’ ‘But ‘glory’ doesn’t mean ‘a nice knock-down argument’,’ Alice objected. ‘When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor less.’ ‘The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you CAN make words mean so many different things.’ ‘The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master--that’s all.’ "

Semanticist Sally McConnell-Ginet comments on this passage: "Both Humpty Dumpty and Alice are partly right. Alice understands that we can’t make words mean whatever we want them to: there are substantial constraints that arise from past history and from what is involved in trying to mean something. At the same time, there is room for shaping and reshaping word meanings. Humpty Dumpty understands that tugs over meaning can be struggles for power".

• John Doe
    John Doe
    It is that for which we strive. If it is not absolute, we always acheive it and never need to seek further. But we know that is not the case, therefore it must be a conceptual absolute that we have not yet attained (will never attain?).

I beleive we're in violent agreement. ;-) If we think it is absolute and that we've achieved it, again we'll not seek further. Either way, I agree with you that we will never attain an external, tangible, irrefutable reality. Take, for instance, the world of children. To a child, thinking monsters live under the bed is perfectly reasonable. Everything is fresh, new and exciting to them, and therefore magical. Now, advance that same child 70 years. Once again they begin lapsing into a dreamlike state separate from the common reality of middled-aged humanity. I would call this state magical, but in another sense, for it seems to be filled with more angst and cynacism. In essence, the closer a person is to birth or death, the further he is from the "reality" most profess to know. I believe "having truth" to be an underlying problem with fundamentalist religions. Sure, there must be an external truth, but it is irrelevant to the human condition. Consider a fish swimming in the Carribian sea attempting to comprehend the North Pole--something of which he has no knowledge. Can such a being possibly discuss such matters in a way that is useful to anyone or anything? Well, I should stop drinking now and go to bed. I'm beginning to ramble. ;-)

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Consider a fish swimming in the Carribian sea attempting to comprehend the North Pole--something of which he has no knowledge.

Yes, but suppose a whale that had SEEN the Pole tried to explain the experience to the fish...does the fact the fish disbelieves in such nonsense prevent the existence of the Pole or destroy the credibility of the whale's first-hand experience?

I agree, VERY interesting topic.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Why must truth be absolute if it is unattainable? I fail to see the leap.

Think of a police investigation. The "truth" of what happened in a certain place at a certain time is something which can be "approached" and "reconstructed" from a number of angles, (only) to some degree of certainty. None of the reconstructions may eventually be known to be 100 % accurate. However, it's nothing short of factual truth that the investigator is concerned with and aims at, even if s/he is never to reach it. In principle it exceeds any "approach" or "reconstruction". The potential difference makes room for doubt -- which is vital.

Thinking of it, to be factual "truth" has to be more than "fact". It is what really happened, as if it could be reproduced for all to see without being changed; the "event" as being both actual and readable -- there lies the utopy I guess, but a necessary one. A system which would dismiss the utopy of truth would tend to totalitarism.

Consider a fish swimming in the Carribian sea attempting to comprehend the North Pole--something of which he has no knowledge.

Yes, but suppose a whale that had SEEN the Pole tried to explain the experience to the fish...does the fact the fish disbelieves in such nonsense prevent the existence of the Pole or destroy the credibility of the whale's first-hand experience?

In that case, I'd suggest "truth" is not simply "the North Pole," but "the North Pole as can and cannot be represented in the Caribbean Sea" -- implying fact + memory + communication (= symbolism + imagination = language). Making room for misunderstanding and error, which are opposite to truth yet implied by it. It's admittedly an aporetic notion, which doesn't mean that we can dispense with it.
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

what's a utopy?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit