'Disciplining' Children during meetings

by theredhead 29 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

And I have known some highly intelligent people to group those two things together. Sometimes intelligence has little to do with beliefs.

• seawolf
    seawolf

Same thing used to happen at our hall so the congregation got a stern talking to and told to make sure to beat the shit out of the kids inside the hall and not outside the hall because it might bring reproach on joe hoba's good name

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

And I have known some highly intelligent people to group those two things together. Sometimes intelligence has little to do with beliefs. Thought you were going?

• Jez
    Jez

I was shocked when I went to a church for the first time and they asked all the little children ages 2-8 to come up to the stage. He told them, "Jesus loves you and so does this congregation. Thank you for being here today." The 'care-givers' ( teenagers from the congregation, they would rotate) would come up and take them downstairs for their Sunday school. They would draw, read stories, bake, basically age appropriate ways to teach them LOVE, UNDERSTANDING, KINDNESS, COMPASSION etc.

Then the 8-10 year olds were invited up to the stage, same thing.

They didn't HAVE to leave, but if they wanted to, they had a place to go.

If I ever saw someone dragging their kid down to the basement of a KH, I would go after them now and not let it happen.

Jez

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    No good parent likes to spank their children.

My mother was seemed to always look for a reason to beat the shit out of me. Trust me, she DID find reasons even if I had nothing to do with the reason.

There was a PSA on the radio a few years ago that really hit me. It was a male parent who was mad at something. He was getting angrier and angrier at the thing he was mad at. Then, at the end, he yelled "He's gonna get it this time!". It was a PSA on awareness of physical abuse. You better believe I had flashbacks and panic attacks when I heard it.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Thought you were going?

If that's what you want.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I cringe to this day, It still bothers me that little ones were being abused. They could not have been more than two years old. I started attending meetings with my mom when I was 8.

I am very sensitive and observed it all very closely even at a young age, the mothers faces coming out of the bathrooms afterwards. The depth of the brainwashing is such a crime when you can convince a mother to beat a child for being a child.

They have no CLUE what age apropriate behavior is. Expecting a child under 11 to sit still and silent for 2 hours week after week is criminal. To expect an ADHD child to sit at all is rediculous. My son saved me from further pain by his ADHD. He was not capable of sitting, the lovely "sisters" gave me so much advice, including spanking which I refused. One gave him a stinking hard candy at 1 1/2 which he choked on, then threw up all over the chair and carpet. That was my last meeting.

My son was born with ADHD. He was not supposed to be born at all. He is a miracle baby. He is 17 now and still my miracle baby.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I was fortunate. Apart from a few slaps on my leg for being cheeky as a teenager, and at the same point my father once almost punching me out for being disrespectful to my mom, I can't recall being spanked. Youngest kid maybe?

I regret that I spanked my stepson. Including the awful offensive ineffectual haulings-out and swatting of asses that garnish any feast of spiritual food laid on by the Fetid and Deoderent Salve. I would have prefered giving him a damn good talking to, but his mum loathed the fact this really hit home and would rather I psank him. Never spanked my daughters.

I think cold, calculated physical disciple of a child is just wrong and ineffective.

A good hard slap when called for seems only human.

• DaveNwisconsin
    DaveNwisconsin

What is it that Joan Crawfords said, oh ya, I never laid a hand on those Fu(%=@g Kids!

• theredhead
    theredhead

There is a difference between spanking and beating. And most all of the 'spanking' that took place in the back room was a beating. Sometimes I wondered if parents tearing the child out of the seat for 'acting up' was a way of proving their parental skills to everyone else.

I can remember one time a lady took her todler out for a 'spanking' and I could hear the poor thing screaming and I told my mom I was going to go back their and beat up the mom. All that got me was a beating at home.

When my mother would beat me she would quote the scripture that children need to be obediant to your parents and that one that talked about discipling with the rod. She would just grab anything that would leave a sting. When my mom would quote the scritptures I would say yes jehovah wants you to spank me but not beat me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit