Should organ donations be mandatory?

by Kenneson 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

That is the correct url at the bottom. I don't know why it is not allowing access.

Debate is soon to begin in Ontario on an organ donation law that would make it Canada's first province to allow hospitals to harvest organs from dead or dying patients with or without their consent. Only those patients who register with the province can opt out. What do you think of this law?

Also given are the religious views of different denominations on organ donations.

"JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES do not encourage organ donation, but believe it is a matter for individual conscience."

See "Bill makes everyone an organ donor"

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=114

• Clam
    Clam

Strangely I was reading about this today in the Online Scotsman Newspaper.

They say that instead of asking us to sign up for the organ donor register, the law could be changed to presume that we will donate, unless we choose to opt out. In other words, organ donation would be the default position, unless individuals or their families objected.

I think this is coming and coming soon. I hope so. I do think it's better to still ask the next of kin before taking organs though. Although lives can be saved there has to be consideration to families of the bereaved who do not want extra anxiety and stress on top of their suffering.

• slugga
    slugga

I don't think so. I see it a violation. Once again the state stepping in to run and control our lives. They're basically telling us that our bodies aren't our own anymore that they belong to the state to do with as they wish once we die. That Stinks !

There was a case a few yrs back in the UK where a hospital kept organs from babies that had died without asking the parents. The parents were shocked and horrified to find out that they had buried or cremated their children but had left bits of them behind in hospital cupboards or on hospital shelves. It was such a wrong thing to do, no respect was given to those grieving parents. They lost their children then they found out that their children's bodies had been "violated"

I'm going off track here but the point I'm trying to make is that the state has no right to treat human beings as yet another commodity, We're human emotional beings, not something you can just come along and recycle.

Carry a donor card by all means, just dont let the state take over yet another aspect of our lives.

• joelbear
    joelbear

i agree with slugga

you can't force it, must you sure could advertise the positive effects of it more.

mitch is leaving his body to science. they can take anything of mine they need.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

No, I own my body. When I die, my next-of-kin owns it. Organs should be a market commodity, people shouldn't be forced to give them away but should be allowed to sell them. This would vastly increase the number of organs available for donation, as well as providing much needed income for the bereaved.

• slugga
    slugga
    people shouldn't be forced to give them away but should be allowed to sell them

Ehhhhh...

Ok, so you're mourning the death of your wife or your kids and you get a nice fat check in the post for your kids brains or your wife's heart and eyes, do you think that's going to make you feel better knowing you sold your loved one off like a pig in a butchers window?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

slugga:

Ok, so you're mourning the death of your wife or your kids and you get a nice fat check in the post for your kids brains or your wife's heart and eyes, do you think that's going to make you feel better knowing you sold your loved one off like a pig in a butchers window?

Maybe, maybe not. But you should be free to do it. Obviously it won't bring the loved one back, but otherwise it's a win-win situation. Someone who needs an organ transplant gets an extension of their life, and someone who has lost a loved one gets financial compensation. Of course, people should be free to give away their organs or let them rot if they wish to do so.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I dont think anything should be manditory. I think there needs to be 1 law on the books that says, if you hurt someone or their property, thus and such will happen. Feel free to do or not do anything else you please.

• james_woods
    james_woods

What's next - Eminent Domain of your GUTS?

For example - Larry Hagman or Boris Yeltsin need some homeless guys liver more than he does because of value to society...

Also, it seems to me to be fantasy that the family or heirs of the victim get any of the cash. And make no mistake, much of the motive for this practice is in fact cash.

• Schizm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit