The Ten Commandments Displays furor, why?

by AlmostAtheist 13 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I heard on NPR today that some public buildings in the U.S. are moving to bring a display of the ten commandments in through the backdoor, calling it a historical document and presenting it alongside the Magna Carta and the Constitution.

Ok. But why?

80% of the ten commandments aren't reflected in our legal code. When was the last time you heard of someone getting busted for coveting? Or working on the sabbath? The only ones that apply -- murder and stealing -- are so universal that you hardly need a document to remind you that they're wrong.

It's going to cost a buttload of cash to create and maintain these displays. How many homeless families are they willing to deny assistance to in order to fund this? This is ignoring the cost of lawsuits which will surely dramatically overshadow the cost of the display itself.

Since they don't apply to our legal system, and producing these displays will be a cost with no benefit, why are they so up in arms to go forward with it? What's the motive?

Dave

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

How many people could be fed by bridges to nowhere and all of the other government pork? I know where your going with this and you make a great point, I just don't know if I personally have the will to care.

• Mary
    Mary
    80% of the ten commandments aren't reflected in our legal code. When was the last time you heard of someone getting busted for coveting? Or working on the sabbath? The only ones that apply -- murder and stealing -- are so universal that you hardly need a document to remind you that they're wrong.

I think the idea is that the Ten Commandments promote morality. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I think the idea is that the Ten Commandments promote morality. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

One potential problem that leaps to mind is that my morality may not match that of the judge -- but it shouldn't matter. If I think it's ok to shack up with three other men and 4 women, that shouldn't have any influence at all over whether I'm found guilty or what sort of punishment I receive. But with the 10 commandments staring down at me, I have to wonder if I'm going to get a fair shake or not.

BUT, as Drew pointed out, there'd need to be a contigency of people that both don't like the idea AND are willing to do something about it. Other than this one whiny thread, I'm not going to do anything about it. And Drew is courageously joined with me in one united, apathetic voice.

Dave

• heathen
    heathen

I just know I get awefully tired of these religious people getting involved with politics and that's just what this is about . Most "christian"churches don't have the 10 commandments displayed anywhere but by God we have to put these displays up everywhere else . It's historical but it's place is with the rest of the holy scriptures .It's not constitutional at all to say the God of the bible is the only God and that's also what the commandments have to say. You are right that time effort could be spent better on other things .

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think the idea is that the Ten Commandments promote morality.

Actually, the Ten Commandments promote Jewdao-Christian Religions.

Members of Jewdao-Christian religions believe that their god is so weak and impotent that they are forced to use the power of government to prop up and support their god. They are extremely fearful that without the added support of government their god will disappear and be forgotten.

This is the exact same pathetic reasoning that causes Moslem's to rampage through cities killing people and burning buildings after someone draws a silly cartoon about their god... they are afraid that their god is so pathetic and weak that they must step up and defend it.

• Mary
    Mary

Elsewhere, I have ta disagree..........when was the last time you saw Jews and Christians looting and rioting? I truly feel that there is nothing wrong with having the Ten Commandments displayed anywhere.......Imagine how much better the world would be if we all followed them.........

Jes my two cents worth.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    why?

Relentless bullying by the Religious Right, that's why.

The Watchtower States of America, coming soon to a country near you.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Elsewhere, I have ta disagree..........when was the last time you saw Jews and Christians looting and rioting?
    I have to agree with you Mary.I have never heard of Jews or Christians (ever) rioting and looting. CNN has it all wrong.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

You can go on all you want about seperation of church and state, but when you come down to it, what harm is there in allowing the plaques a spot in the lobby? It represents a facet of American history and culture, and as such should be respected. I would be considered an agnostic, and defenitely see the danger of church and state converging, but I do not see this as a risk to the barely functional judicial system. I often wonder why atheists take it so personally, as if the fact that "in God we trust" written on the back of their money really takes away their right to freedom of religion. And being resentful to the religious right in this country is not a valid reason. This extends beyond the simple, black & white politics of primetime television.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit