Richard Dawkins is right

by joelbear 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with colour, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn't it a noble, an enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it? This is how I answer when I am asked -- as I am surprisingly often -- why I bother to get up in the mornings. To put it the other way round, isn't it sad to go to your grave without ever wondering why you were born? Who, with such a thought, would not spring from bed, eager to resume discovering the world and rejoicing to be a part of it?
    -- Richard Dawkins, excerpt from Chapter I, "The Anaesthetic of Familiarity," of Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder (1998)

The feeling of awed wonder that science can give us is one of the highest experiences of which the human psyche is capable. It is a deep aesthetic passion to rank with the finest that music and poetry can deliver. It is truly one of the things that make life worth living and it does so, if anything, more effectively if it convinces us that the time we have for living is quite finite.
    -- Richard Dawkins, Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder (1998), p. x., quoted from Victor J. Stenger, Has Science Found God? (2001)

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    we have also hijacked biological evolution to an astounding degree via culture.

Therein lies the "noble purpose" mentioned earlier. We are still under evolutionary influences, but they are greatly mitigated by our ability to survive despite "bad genes". Our noble purpose, then, is to take these gifts evolution has given us -- these astounding, mind-bogglingly useful bodies and brains -- and use them to have happy lives. We can even be altruistic and spread happiness to those lives that surround us (human and otherwise), and even push forward happiness into the future, for our grandchildren and their grandchildren to enjoy.

Dave

• joelbear
    joelbear

i would agree altruism is the noble purpose. giving when the giving does nothing to support our own survival or that of our genetic relatives or social group is true altruism. humans are the only species which can give.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit