C-sections and blood

by kristyann 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• kristyann
    kristyann

I suppose being a student in the field that I am in, I should be more familiar with this topic... but I am not. I have asked several people and have gotten different answers, all people in the medical field. So I am going to ask this, even if it sounds dumb... do you require blood when getting a C-section? Is it medically necessary to give a blood transfusion during a C-section? If that's so, then JWs obviously must be against them.. but I don't know if blood is required for them or not. Have JWs ever said anything about them? In publications or "public talks", etc? Does anyone know JW's opinions on C-sections?

Also... anyone here ever had one? What exactly is involved?

• kristyann
    kristyann

Hmm... I'm sorry, I thought I put this topic under the "Blood and Medical" section... oh, well, sorry, but I still want to hear if anyone has anything to tell me!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I have had three c-sections all were the old- fashioned vertical type , and I did not require blood transfusion. Are you scheduled for one ? Do you have any other questions ?

• kristyann
    kristyann

No, I am not scheduled for any. I am actually not even pregnant. The thing is, some people I knew told me that ANYONE who gets a c-section requires a blood transfusion... and I didn't think that was true... but I was just wondering. Have JWs ever stated any preferences (aka requirements) on the topic?

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Knowing what I know now, I would have donated some of my own blood ahead of time just in case . One nurse that was present during my last one said it was very scary seeing so much blood loss on a witness patient ,but the doctor said it looked worse than it really was because of the Amneiotic (sp?) fluid and blood mixed together .

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

No. A whole blood transfusion or packed RBC transfusion are not necessary if the procedure does not have any complications.

However there is a fifteen to twenty percent chance that the surgeon will hit one of the main human arteries when doing the procedure. This will create a blood loss and the surgeon(s) will quickly have to shut the flow off by correcting the problem. If this happens the anthestologist will force salt solutions into the body at high pressures while the husband (me) and/or nurse keeps the wife calm. In twenty percent of these cases where the artery has been damaged and there is a considerable blood loss, a blood transfusion will be necessary to prevent premature death or serious injury.

Hope that helps.

p.s. - my reference is going through the procedure with my wife. And we were one of the 15-20 % but she did not require a blood transfusion. After the procdure she was put on a very high iron therapy to help get things back to normal.

• sf
    sf

I've had two c-sections. My girlfriend has had three. Neither one of us REQUIRED a transfusion. I'm sure I would have been informed, probably was, when I signed the surgery papers, that the chance of me needing blood, could occur. I signed it without any hesitations.

I do know though, that if you had a c-section with your first child and become pregnant a second time, a c-section is required as delivery; as was the case with my second child, twelve years later, after I was completely healed up. I was 'cut' on the exact same incision too...what a relief. Same with your third child. And that three children delivered this way, is the limit. I do not know of any woman having four c-sections. I very well could be wrong though.

Scully and/ or any other nurses and/ or doctors in the house can correct me if I'm wrong, in anyway, on this topic. Thanks in advance.

sKally

• kristyann
    kristyann

Can I ask why it is a requirement that, once you have a c-section with your first child, why do you have to deliver the rest as c-sections as well?

Also...I know that there is supposed to be a limit on how many c-sections you can have... but my bf's mom claims to have had all FOUR of her kids by c-section. I heard that this is VERY dangerous to have so many children delivered via c-section. Anyone know why?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

This is new to me!

Definately not a requirement. The thought of it was never brought up with either of my two c-sections.

The surgery itself is not something that takes much time, and there wasn't much blood loss at all. I was conscious the entire time, as are most.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Not all c-sections require a blood transfusion. The chance to hemorrhage is greater with pregnancy patients no matter what type of delivery. As far as the witnesses they don't give an opinion on c-section that is usually not an option but an emergency type operation. The witnesses do warn pregnant mothers to be prepared to face the blood issue.(to refuse transfusion) If you need more information about that look under other topics in the medical section.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit