Do JWs still call themselves "Bible students?"

by kristyann 19 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

Does anyone know if Jehovah's Witnesses still refer to themselves as "Bible students?" I experienced a strange situation sometime last week or the week before and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think it involved a JW or not. I have never heard of JWs making random phone calls to witness to people, but I guess maybe they do. Anyway, a week or so ago, my family got a phone call from some random girl we don't know, but no one was home, so she left a message on the answering machine. It was difficult to understand and sounded kind of fuzzy and static-y, but basically it was something like this. "Hello, my name is Allison and I am a Bible student. I was hoping to talk with you about the Bible. If you are interested, I would love to send you a free copy of the book "Life blah blah blah" [I couldn't understand the title of the book, but it began with the word 'life.' I played it over and over again, and still couldn't understand it. Anyway, then she said] "Please write to P.O. Box [something, again, I couldn't understand the P.O. Box number that she left] and I would be glad to write back and send you a copy. Thank you and have a great day!" Does anyone have any idea if this was a JW or not? I realize that I have limited information because I couldn't understand the title of the book. Did the Watchtower come out with a new book or booklet with "Life" as the first word in the title? Also, I wish I had the P.O. Box address cause I'd write to it, but I couldn't understand her. Why wouldn't she give a phone number to call her back, though? Is she afraid of being harassed? I don't get it. Or why wouldn't she give the address to the Kingdom Hall? Why would she give her P.O. Box? Is this something she does just as her own personal thing? Cause I would think if it had something to do with the JWs, she'd give a phone number or address of the Kingdom Hall. The town the P.O. Box was in is the same town that the closest Kingdom Hall is located in, too, though. But I couldn't make out the numbers for anything. Does anyone know if these were JWs or have any idea? Do they do this kind of thing? Plus... where would they have gotten our number from? Do they dial random phone numbers? Call random people from the phone book? Do you think maybe my boyfriend's parents gave them my family's phone number to try to convert us? They go to the Kingdom Hall in that town that the girl's P.O. Box is located in. Maybe I am just jumping to conclusions? I don't know, let me know if anyone thinks this could be a JW, and also how they would have gotten our number, and if they have some kind of book or booklet that starts with "Life" as the first word of the title.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I have never heard of JWs making random phone calls to witness to people, but I guess maybe they do.

Yes, this is becoming more common. Its been in several KMs. Congos are encouraged to even have phone witnessing territories. It is often done by elderly or infirmed dubs, or saved for rainy day work by pioneers.

Bible students is a term often used in presentations in the KM. It seems more acceptable than JWs.

• wombat
    wombat

Kristyann......

I really enjoyed your post but ti took me sooo long to read it.

I am 60 years old and my eyesight isn't the best.

I have made this comment before. PLEASE put some spaces (paragraphs) occasionally.

Trying to read a huge page is hard for an old person. I keep losing the line.

Now, I've forgotten what you said. But I recall that I agreed with you...Cheers Wombat

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I have made this comment before. PLEASE put some spaces (paragraphs) occasionally.

Yes, for this reason I only scanned the post for key words and read those sentences. A little formatting goes a long way.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

kristiann, are you using a mac by chance? I ocationally use macs, and have this formatting problem.

steve

• kristyann
    kristyann

This is weird... I don't see anything wrong with my post.. what does it look like to you guys? I didn't do anything differently than I do in any of my other posts... and no one has ever complained about them before. I don't get it. No, I'm not using a Mac... but to me, I see spaces... and my posts don't look any different than anyone else's. Please let me know what exactly is wrong with them... and anything I could do to fix the problem, I'd be more than willing to do. Thanks! :)

• KW13
    KW13

I found when using Firefox and other alternative browsers that it didn't work but on Internet Explorer the spaces appear

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

kristyann, the problem isn't spaces, it's paragraphs. What are your JDW - HTML formatting and Cr/Lf settings checked as? (These are below your editing box)

steve

• kristyann
    kristyann

I have the "Check here to use HTML formatting" box checked... and the other one is not checked. I am using Firefox, so is that the problem?

• kristyann
    kristyann

Oh... by the way.. so you think it probably was a JW calling? Do you know anything about any JW books or booklets that have titles that start with "Life"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit