The Bible Canon, the Muratorian Fragment and the WTBTS.

by Gill 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks for that link. I would find a late date for the Muratorian Fragment plausible if indeed the author was trying to intentionally portray himself as writing in the late second century or early third century, possibly to increase the authority of the canon?

Interesting that the Fragment seems to class Revelation with the disputed works, i.e. the antilegomena.

So....does the reviewer have his tongue firmly planted in cheek when he exposes the book's plagiarism? LOL

• M.J.
    M.J.

Sorry if I missed it, but aside from the various additions to what is commonly accepted in the canon today, (i.e., "Wisdom" and "Apocalypse of Peter"), does the fragment contain any omissions from the 27 book canon?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It omits Hebrews, James, and 1-2 Peter.

The Nestorian canon also leaves out some of the general epistles (including 2 Peter) and Revelation, which leads some to suspect that the Muratorian canon is of Eastern provenance....

BTW, here is a canon list of the modern Nasraya (i.e. Nasorean) church, look at where Paul's epistles have been placed:

http://www.catholicospatriarch.org/eastern_collexion/

• M.J.
    M.J.

Interesting. Is the Nasorean church a modern day gnostic sect? Do they have anything to do with those Mandaeans in Iraq?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Mandaeans are not the same group tho there may be a historical relationship between the two....

That canon list is for the Nasrani Church of the East; here is the official English website that goes into Nestorian history and the beliefs of the church:

http://www.nasranichurch.org/english/

Bear in mind, I have no idea whether this church has any continuity with the actual Nestorian church of Syria, and their canon list is clearly modern.

• peacefulpete
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

Nuperrime (Cicero Inv. 1,24) is the superlative of nuper which is pretty vague; my Latin-French dictionary (Gaffiot) gives two examples of durations for nuper in Cicero, 3 years in Verr. 4,61; 21 years in Off. 3,47. Nuper and, a fortiori, nuperrime seem to be generally restricted to what we would call "contemporary" (or "generation" to remind good memories ;-)).

• badboy
    badboy

WHEN DID HIPPOLYTUS LIVE,I UNDERSTAND HE DIED ABOUT AD 236 AND HE WAS AN ANTIPOPE.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Subtleties it always comes down to subtleties

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit