Martin's Method of Giving a Testimony to JWs: Would this really work?

by Oroborus21 13 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

Walter Martin was just trying to jerk the JWs chain!

I heard him describe this "prayer" technique in one of his audio tapes, it is quite an amusing story the way he tells it.

He probably did do something like that at one time.

In the story, the JWs said they could not pray with him, but Martin went ahead and started to pray, and when he used Jehovah's name, Martin said the two JWs at his door automatically bowed their heads! Talk about a conditioned response!

--VM44

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I think a hilarious way to freak out some J-dubs would be to start praying for them and slip some info on the UN fiasco, dub blood policy, dub failed prophecies, ect. into the prayer.

I would pray and peek to see that hysterical scared shitless deer-in-the-headlights face they always get. Good times.

GBL

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I don't know that I'd have the guts to do something like this, but I certainly wouldn't consider it rude.

Especially not as rude as people coming to your house on a Saturday morning to tell you your beliefs are wrong and if you don't listen to their preaching you're going to die soon. If it's all about being pushy then turn-abouts fair play.

I guess it's just all in what your goal is. Personally I'm a fan of the pointed, "innocent" questions. The kind they can't answer without squirming. But that usually takes more than one visit to have the chance to pull many out.

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

Probably whether it would 'work' or not to plant a 'seed' would depend on variable you wouldn't know... and how effective/sincere the speaking ability of the householder.

Some people are naturally 'open', some are not.

If it felt contrived, surely the listener would feel manipulated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit