Can you have massive stock investments without slaving for riches?

by dinah 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

Reading through the thread about doing work for churches got me thinking about something, especially the chart on Rand Cam.

Why does the Watchtower invest in the stock market in the first place? Couldn't they use that money to build Kingdom Halls? To be that heavily involved in the "world" would be prohibited--as least you would think so. Economics rules the world, so that would put them right in the middle of things. And what ever happened to "keeping our eyes simple" and not "striving for riches"?

To me the stock market is also a gamble. Sure, you make an informed decision what to buy, but there is no guarantee. Does that mean that if I am a really good poker player, it's okay to join a game because I'll make and informed decision about betting from looking at my hand?

These are the same people who let witnesses in third world countries go without Kingdom Halls because they couldn't afford to pay back the loan. I had a quote about that, but can't find it now. Has anyone else seen something to that effect?

• PMJ
    PMJ

can you show me proof that wbts invest in the stock market?

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

PMJ,

I will do the required research to provide you this proof, but will you first answer this:

Why? If the Society indeed has millions invested in Stocks, Bonds, etc, what would that mean or imply to you?

Thanks,

FW

• dinah
    dinah

The only proof I've seen are scanned documents online. Where would you have to go to see a hard copy for yourself? Anybody know?

• Mary
    Mary
    Why does the Watchtower invest in the stock market in the first place? Couldn't they use that money to build Kingdom Halls? To be that heavily involved in the "world" would be prohibited--as least you would think so. what ever happened to "keeping our eyes simple" and not "striving for riches"?

The GB would claim that they're not "slaving for riches", which is technically correct. The Bethelites that the trick into voluntary slavery are the ones doing that actual slaving, so the GB would claim they're not doing anything wrong. When it comes to "the world wide witnessing work", they claim that any monies they make all goes to the glory of Jehovah and they compare some of their more luxuriant dwellings to the Temple of Solomon to make it appear a-okay. Just don't ask too many questions, and everything'll be fine.

To me the stock market is also a gamble. Sure, you make an informed decision what to buy, but there is no guarantee. Does that mean that if I am a really good poker player, it's okay to join a game because I'll make and informed decision about betting from looking at my hand?

Uh no. They claim that playing the stock market is different than spending a dollar on a lottery ticket. It's perfectly acceptable to gamble-----I mean, 'invest' $5 million in stock, but it's not acceptable to spend $1.00 on a lottery ticket. That's just being greedy.

These are the same people who let witnesses in third world countries go without Kingdom Halls because they couldn't afford to pay back the loan.

Ah those poor brothers and sisters in Africa..........well, we learned that if the GB doesn't care if these people are raped, tortured or murdered because of a Party Card, you think they give a rat's ass if they don't have a proper Kingdumb Hell??

• PMJ
    PMJ

im not sure what it would mean for me if they ivested in stocks.first of all id like to see the evidence.and not hear say.and then if there is evidence ask questions about why they do it.

• sir82
    sir82
    To me the stock market is also a gamble. Sure, you make an informed decision what to buy, but there is no guarantee.

This is the rationale I've heard used (not that I necessarily agree with it):

In gambling, you only win if everybody else loses. You are profiting from the loss of another. It is a zero-sum game -- there are no winners if there are no losers.

With stocks, it is an investment. If I think Company A makes better widgets than Company B, I'll give some of my money to Company A so they can make even better widgets, or market them better, or whatever. My investment in Company A does not cause Company B to go out of business. Company B still exists, is still profitable, its just that I liked Company A better. And if Company A finds a better way to market or manufacture widgets, all widget companies copy them and so benefit, so everybody wins.

I am quite aware the argument has holes, but this is I'm sure how the decision is rationalized.

• sf
    sf
    id like to see the evidence.and not hear say.and then if there is evidence

Then get crackin' on your 'footwork'. We aren't here to do you homework for you. It will still be hearsay if we provide you the research you need to do to gain ACCURATE KNOWLEDGE. Why would you believe apostates will provide you with solid evidence, as truth? That makes no sense at all. You will just say it is all made up lies, as usual.

The research is out there. Spend some time doing your own homework. I will give you the keywords, since you can't seem to figure that out either:

RAND CAM

REGI

WATCHTOWER STOCK

Those three words will keep you busy in your apostate studies.

Happy trails!

sKally

• Mary
    Mary
    In gambling, you only win if everybody else loses. You are profiting from the loss of another. It is a zero-sum game -- there are no winners if there are no losers..........With stocks, it is an investment.

Oh bullsh*t.......it's the exact same thing. You invest a certain amount of money hoping that the stock is going to skyrocket and you'll strike it rich without actually working for it. That's why people invest in the stock market. As for profiting from someone else's loss, that happens every single day. If I apply for a job and I get it over 500 other candidates, then guess what? I'm profiting from someone else's loss. Does that make me greedy? A slimeball? A candidate for Gehenna??

My investment in Company A does not cause Company B to go out of business.

LOL......riiiiight. 'Company A' has never caused 'Company B' to go out of business...........

I am quite aware the argument has holes, but this is I'm sure how the decision is rationalized.

And as per usual, the WTS's arguments don't hold water when held up under scrutiny.......what a surprise..........

• VM44
    VM44

Stock market investments provide the highest return over time than other investments (except, perhaps, real estate investments).

Pension and 401K plans portfolios invest in the stock from a diversified selection of companies, and such investments, along with the proper managment, do provide a good annual return.

The Watchtower, by investing in stocks, simply wanted to get the best return on its money.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit